98-2001 5th gen Rearset adapters - Sebspeed Customs

SEBSPEED

Question

Hey all, this has been in the works for a bit and I'm finally ready to make an initial run available.

I developed this rearset adapter while building a custom '99. I had a set of CBR929/954RR Sato brand rearsets on hand, and so developed the adapters around them. I have designed them to place a racing-style 954RR rearset in the oem VFR peg position at the lowest, most forward position when the new rearsets are installed in the CBR orientation. This allows track or race style "up & back" adjustment. Because of the 2-pc design of most racing rearsets, the plates can also be flipped Left to Right to allow the pegs to be positioned lower than stock VFR position.

Can be set up for Standard or GP style reverse shifting 

I am selling these adapters as a kit at a pre-order price of $140 for the 1st 10 orders. All orders beyond the 1st 10 will be $150.

What you receive in the kit:

- 1 pair billet 6061-T6 aluminum adapter plates in Bare Bright or Satin Brushed finish (sorry, no anodize option at this time)

- 1 set of 6061-T6 spacers

- stainless steel hardware

To complete this modification to your bike, you will also need to purchase an oem or aftermarket set of rearsets made to fit a 00-2003 CBR929RR or 954RR (fit is the same). I chose to leave this option to the end user rather than A) maintain an inventory and B) limit style and selection. The world is your oyster folks, there are a great many options out there for CBR sets!

There ARE a couple caveats, as with any custom installation:

- depending on your choice of aftermarket set, you may need to use a pressure style brake switch rather than your oem switch

- the stock heat shield is deleted

- extreme peg position adjustments may require adjustment of the brake line(s) and/or brake line replacement

- new levels of comfort and/or on-track prowess may cause untold amounts of envy from other VFR riders...

20171123_115414_zpszo9kjwcc.jpg

20171123_115358_zpsnbnqqlax.jpg

20171123_162414_zpsvy1tiu5g.jpg

20170529_212752_zpsbkiqzs07.jpg

IMG_20170707_192857_887_zpsvktzi44u.jpg

I will accept pre-orders as defined by a response to this posted list in combination with 50% down payment via paypal.

As with my clutch cover buy, I'm kicking back $5 of each pre-order to VFRD!

• Answers 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have (2) final sets left. There will be no more, at least not of this design. 

Bright (bare milled) or brushed finish, $158 shipped in the US or $150 + actual shipping worldwide

19 hours ago, LockedNRollin said:

I would like to grab one if you still have it.

So sorry, these sold last week. New updated version coming later this year though, stay tuned!

• Member Contributer

Took me long enough but got these test fitted finally. I picked up a set of inexpensive Danmoto rearsets. I'm going to remake the rear brake line, waiting on a new heim joint to connect to the shift linkage Danmoto has in their kit, need to get a pressure brake switch.

20190723_211359.thumb.jpg.e129be17fa09273560588d5a0fdc86df.jpg

20190723_211509.thumb.jpg.3dde26faff058446fd6028fb181b9328.jpg

Going to be finally mounting this up while I'm in there too..

20190723_211617.thumb.jpg.1a22afc99ed52f38c28b45b152347213.jpg

I connected my OEM brake light switch with a simple L bracket.

And i love your choice of wheel.  

On 7/7/2019 at 4:03 AM, SEBSPEED said:

So sorry, these sold last week. New updated version coming later this year though, stay tuned!

Hi! I'm about to take apart my 5th gen for a rebuild the coming winter and I'm definitely interested in a set of these adapters.

17 hours ago, w3bdevil said:

Hi! I'm about to take apart my 5th gen for a rebuild the coming winter and I'm definitely interested in a set of these adapters.

Cool, thanks for your interest! I plan to have them ready around New Year's.  

7 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Cool, thanks for your interest! I plan to have them ready around New Year's.  

Excellent. I'll start looking for some CBR954RR rearsets then. Not a long way from there to maybe installing a quickshifter too 🙂 Oh boy.. why didn't anyone warn me before how quickly and easily the motorcycle tinkering gets out of hand?

12 hours ago, w3bdevil said:

Excellent. I'll start looking for some CBR954RR rearsets then. Not a long way from there to maybe installing a quickshifter too 🙂 Oh boy.. why didn't anyone warn me before how quickly and easily the motorcycle tinkering gets out of hand?

Hold that thought - the main reason for my redesign is to adapt a more modern (and therefore more widely available) rearset, likely from a newer CBR. So don't buy anything just yet...

On 8/31/2019 at 3:42 AM, SEBSPEED said:

Hold that thought - the main reason for my redesign is to adapt a more modern (and therefore more widely available) rearset, likely from a newer CBR. So don't buy anything just yet...

Just checking whats the status of this? My bike lies in the garage in small pieces so not in a hurry yet but I'm itching to start sourcing the rearsets already 🙂

Sorry to keep bugging you but do you see this happening in let's say the next couple of months? If not then I'll probably just button this project up with the stock rearsets and take another look into this next winter.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, w3bdevil said:

Sorry to keep bugging you but do you see this happening in let's say the next couple of months? If not then I'll probably just button this project up with the stock rearsets and take another look into this next winter.

I'm sorry, I have a lot of other projects going on right now and no funds to drop on buying parts and r&d for a revamped version. I will move forward with this when I can.

I believe there is a V1 set for sale in the classifieds here, have a look

Hey Seb, how is the redesign going? I picked up a 5th gen and I'm really wanting to set it up to have gp shift at some point. I'm sure the rona has put quite a damper on progress so no rush, just curious. 

Hey, sorry no progress on redesign although I did tweak them a bit to enlarge the counterbore for the swingarm nut. Don't have any available at the moment, I am booked out for quite a while. Might try to do something for the 6th gen in the future.

Archived