Radiator Hose Cooler Installed on 6th Gen

deltaboxii

• Member Contributer

Previously I had installed one of these billet coolers for the radiator crossover tube on my Gen 5.5 hybrid with good results.  I decided that I would give it a try on my RWB 6th gen and see if it had the same result in lowering coolant temps.

After purchasing the billet cooler in August (intended for a Polaris side by side RZR), I haven't had the time to get this one on until October.  Unfortunately for testing purposes, the temps here in Indiana are only a high in the 60s/ mid 70s lately.  I put about 1,000 miles on the bike last weekend around Michigan and Ohio and I can't say for certain how much the cooler has helped.  I will have to unfortunately wait until May/ June of next year when the Midwest temps start getting really hot and humid.  The bike does appear to be running about 5 degrees cooler than normal which is about the same result as the Gen 5.5.

The cooler itself was not very expensive (if I remember about $50 on eBay), and the install was really straight forward.  The cooler fits so snugly on the hoses that clamps are really overkill, but I am an overkill kind of guy so I used them.

IMG_0141.JPG

• Member Contributer

Just finished installing my inline cooler. Haven't tried it out yet as I am waiting for a volt meter and still have the fairing off.  I did buy two as I was planning on fitting the second one in the return line from the two radiators leading into the water pump. Will wait to see how it goes with the first one.

You can see from the photos a mod I have used for increasing the air flow over the oil cooler as Honda in their wisdom mounted it up in the fairing out of the air stream.  I bent a length of aluminium and used liquid weld to attach to the bottom of the cooler and then used heating tape for the side scoops. Looking at the photos now I think I will need to fabricate some aluminium fins to replace the tape as it is restricting some of the cooler fins.  Another project for a weekend when it's raining.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I was going to try the second cooler on the return line, but it was waaaay to close to the fairing IMHO and I did not want to take the chance of the cooler melting my bodywork.  If it works for you without interference then I might give that another shot.  Having one there would also be helpful in cooling.

• Member Contributer

Potentially not, but I think it will assist in directing the air flow into the cooler.

When you get under the fairing and look at the oil cooler mounting angle it is actually mounted with a backward angle so by directing the air with the bottom aluminium fin only it may not flow directly through the core of the cooler.  As I mentioned in my original post the aluminium tape allowed me to make a scoop but over time, I did this mod 6 months ago, the tape has degraded and is actually restricting the flow.

I will make some side fins but to top it off into a scoop again will be difficult due to the shape of the fairing and the bottom of the headlight units.  By making a scoop you will get full air flow through the cooler as it has nowhere else to go apart from through the core. When you get under there you will see the issue. 

• Member Contributer

Spit balling some ideas

I'm thinking maybe a little less angle, taking the side of the scoop out to the fairing and connecting to those pop rivets either side with a tab folded down

• Member Contributer

RustyA

No so far and I weigh 100kg, although I have got uprated springs and Jamie suspension internals.  The bottom of the scoop is in line with the oil cooler inlet and outlet points. I don't think you would be able to fully compress the suspension to that level before the spring coils lock.

• Member Contributer
On 22 November 2016 at 10:12 AM, boOZZIE said:

20161121_172153.jpg

Boozie

how did the mod go? Have you noticed any improvement with cooling?

I must say that when I did mine, if it did improve the over all cooling of the bike, it wasn't something I could identify immediately.  I should have taken some good data prior to installing with collecting a number of temperatures readings at waypoints on a ride over a fixed course of say 30 km. Then compare them to the same waypoint temps after installing the MOD.  This then would have been more scientific to prove if it has improved the cooling. Hindsight is such a good thing!!!!!!

I think we all fall foul of this when we carry out MODs or fit bolt on equipment and then tell everyone it is a 10% improvement, mainly cause we have paid hard earned bucks, worked some hours in the garage and then find out it was a waste of time or actually only provided 0.5% improvement.  In the end we are all Alpha males!!!!!

• Member Contributer

I havent got to it yet,  I need a piece of 2-3mm Al  to trace the template to.

Also several minor mods to the design of the template.

Yes you are correct about taking some data.

Hopefully, if I come up with an idea of securing it to the back (bottom of oil cooler) without welding it on, I can go for a ride taking notes, come back on the same day and attach it and then compare the data.

Cheers 

• Member Contributer

Boozie

I originally fitted one inline cooler between the two radiators and have been impressed with the reduced running temperatures.    I decided then, as I had already bought two originally, to install the second one in the hose between the primary radiator and where the second radiator hose joins to feed the water pump.  I now only seen temps above 100 degrees C in stopped traffic and when I start riding they drop within 50m. A known hotspot for me was the M5 tunnel out to western Sydney (4km of two lane highway) where by the end of popping out of the tunnel I would be at 110 degrees I am now seeing a temp of 99 degrees!!  

I am also considering removing the vertical plastic area shown in the photos below to increase the flow of air across the second cooler and fit a mesh guard in the aperture for stone protection from the front wheel. Another job for a rainy weekend.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Marooncobra

My bike is currently cycling the fan at 106, down to 99 and takes a considerable amount of clean air riding to get out of that loop.

Ok so it looks like the inline cooler is providing some benefits.

I'm going to install one in the same top position, between the two radiators.
 I'll do that first b4 I attach the oil cooler scoop(if needed), of which I think I found a solution to temporarily attach it to the bottom of the oil cooler.

I think I now where you are going with that bottom mesh panel, should be good

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Interesting location.  I am not a fan of exhaust wrap myself.  The cooler is not likely to be very effective there down by the headers without exhaust wrap, so I think I will stick with my solo cooler for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This came the other day so on my 1st day of holidays on it went.

I took that cross radiator hose off to cut and install the inline cooler. A good thing I did too as i noticed that the paint on the inside of the orifice on both radiators had peeled away, possibly restricting flow.

A quick ride after install would have me believe lower temps a result.

More accurate data to follow.

Cheers ?

20161222_191351.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ok so I know this is not direct comparison data but it's what I have at the moment,

Before install : 

Weather 23°c, bike 104°c with fan going

From a stop it took approx 2.7klms of clean air easy riding (4th gear 80k/h) to hit 95°c

After install :

Weather 32°c, bike 104°c with fan going

From a stop it took approx 3.2klms of like riding to hit 99°c

I'm not so sure at this stage if the cooler his having any effect.

• Member Contributer

Boozie

Your initial data was with an ambient temp of 23 degrees but the 'after install' ambient was 32 degrees.  That is a large difference in ambient temperature to draw comparisons.  

I am still happy with my install and can see improvements in cooling only when moving really.  At lights there is no improvements and with my second install location I might even be getting some secondary heating.  Even with the exhaust wrap, cheap fibreglass, there is still a high temperature radiating off the wrap.  I am looking at getting the exhaust ceramic covered in the new year by a company called High Performance Coatings here in Australia.  They have quoted $290 for the work but because the VTEC exhaust has a CAT they can only cover the outside with ceramic coating. 

• Member Contributer

Agree, the cooler will not make any difference unless you are moving to get airflow across it.  I am going to stick with the one that I have installed and not install the secondary.

Archived