Bleeding clutch fluid?

swimmer

• Member Contributer

Has anyone bled their clutch fluid?  The manual (online pdf version with crappy resolution) shows there to be a bleed point near the clutch handle.  I see no such component.  My fluid appears very dirty so I was going to purge all the old stuff out and replace with new fluid.  Any tips from someone who has done this before?

• Member Contributer

According to the parts fiche, the clutch master cylinder does not appear to have a bleed point.

• Member Contributer

One can replace the master cylinder single banjo bolt with one that inorporates a bleed screw.  If one is so inclined.  :tongue:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

According to the parts fiche, the clutch master cylinder does not appear to have a bleed point.

Yes, so why, unless I am looking at the manual with my contacts in backwards does it suggest there is a bleed point near it?

• Member Contributer

Yes, changed it & the hose, quite simple if you have ever done brake lines.  Just be aware that if you have dirty fluid, it will down to grime geting past the slave cylinder seals, so best to remove the slave cylinder & strip & clean it. Chain lube collects in that area & contaminates the salve cylinder. When you are in there, yuo might as well clean & lube the clutch actuation rod that the slave pushes on.

I'd suggest the following process, after ptuuning bike on centre stand & strapping the bars at full right lock ;-

1. Remove left fairing panel

2. Remove slave cylinder

3. Clean sprocket side of slave cylinder around the sealing area & the clutch actuating rod

4. Place slave over/in a bucket/bowl, squeeze clutch & pop the seals, allow to drain

5. Remove clutch master cylinder (M/C) reservoir top & clean/dry all parts

6. Clean any solids out of reservoir

7. Clean inside of slave cylinder, piston & all seals

8. Add clean brake fluid & allow to run through to slave cylinder

9. Clean/inspect slave again & refit slave spring/piston/seals

10. Open drain valve on slave cylinder

11. Pour fresh fluid into reservoir & agitate lever is necessary (that means pull in a smidge & let go, do NOT use full pulls, you want fluid in the line NOT air)

12. When fluid appears at the bleed valve, then close it & wait a minute whilst agitating the lever

13. When air stops bubbling out of the supply hole in the reservoir bottom, then the line is nearly full of fluid

14. Attach a clear bleed hose to slaves bleed nipple & pump the lever a few full strokes to pressurise the system

15. Open bleed valve & bleed as per normal, squeeze lever close bleed, release lever, open bleed, squeeze lever, repeat until no more bubbles are apparent in the bleed hose

Remember unlike brakes the clutch lever NEVER goes hard, so you have to purge the air then its done. Test clutch disengages fully, if it does, the job is done, repeat every two years.

Enjoy

i've bled mine, it's easy....it's a standard hydraulic system....one bleed valve on the slave cylinder....i use the Mity Vac pump

Bled mine.  Used a giant syringe purchased from Amazon for $8.  Better than the Harbor Freight vacuum pump.  There is no extra bleed valve.  I have the Honda factory manual and followed it.  Bled the brakes too.  Simple after having to do a 5th gen.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, ridered said:

Bled mine.  Used a giant syringe purchased from Amazon for $8.  Better than the Harbor Freight vacuum pump.  There is no extra bleed valve.  I have the Honda factory manual and followed it.  Bled the brakes too.  Simple after having to do a 5th gen.

Have a link to the syringe? I like having other options available as I often help other riders with their rides. Not everyone has speed bleeders!

4 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Have a link to the syringe? I like having other options available as I often help other riders with their rides. Not everyone has speed bleeders!

No, I just ordered the largest capacity I could find on Amazon that came with a length of hose.  I actually got it to bleed the brakes on a bicycle, but it worked great so I used in for MC.

• Member Contributer

The Phoenix Injector works for both pushing or pulling (vacuum or pressure). They make 2 cheap versions and a pro metal model - best bleeding tool I have ever found!

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, RC1237V said:

The Phoenix Injector works for both pushing or pulling (vacuum or pressure). They make 2 cheap versions and a pro metal model - best bleeding tool I have ever found!

Useless info without a link! :wink:

Archived