VFR1000, just a touring bike?

keny

I think many see the VFR1200 as a more tour bike as sports bike, this pic did change my mine, or just rider skills?

b30034b7efbf8fb9b385564d4e9e5e16.jpg

• Member Contributer

All rider slkill, you can do that on most bikes, Ronnie Smith of PB mag fame, once did a fantastic wheelie on a Golwing, with passenger & all the gear, was a great pic, but not something you'd do everyday. The 1200 has old world shaft drive, Honda couldn't even be arsed to license the BMW duo-lever double knuckle system, which gets over most of the bad effects of shaft drive.

Just because you can do it, does not mean you'd like to do it regularly, it's a big heavy bike, it was not built as a VFR replacement it was built as a Pan-European replacement & even they did not like it. It's a good bike, but ugly as sin in most people's opinion & that is why it failed to sell in good numbers. Whomever signed off on that look at the factory needs shooting, same with Honda's recent car range. A single corporate look is NEVER a good idea & NEVER has been ask Ford & all the others that tried & saw their sales plummet.

Moving on.

All rider slkill, you can do that on most bikes, Ronnie Smith of PB mag fame, once did a fantastic wheelie on a Golwing, with passenger & all the gear, was a great pic, but not something you'd do everyday.

280b4f990bfeb92af34bd79136fb8d87.jpg

3 hours ago, Mohawk said:

All rider slkill, you can do that on most bikes, Ronnie Smith of PB mag fame, once did a fantastic wheelie on a Golwing, with passenger & all the gear, was a great pic, but not something you'd do everyday. The 1200 has old world shaft drive, Honda couldn't even be arsed to license the BMW duo-lever double knuckle system, which gets over most of the bad effects of shaft drive.

Just because you can do it, does not mean you'd like to do it regularly, it's a big heavy bike, it was not built as a VFR replacement it was built as a Pan-European replacement & even they did not like it. It's a good bike, but ugly as sin in most people's opinion & that is why it failed to sell in good numbers. Whomever signed off on that look at the factory needs shooting, same with Honda's recent car range. A single corporate look is NEVER a good idea & NEVER has been ask Ford & all the others that tried & saw their sales plummet.

Moving on.

Rider skill of course but the bike still needs to be capable. That's a very different scenario to a straight line wheely on a Goldwing.

As for the post qouted, the VFR1200 shaft drive has no bad effects, it rides very well. The bike was never intended as a Pan replacement, it's a sport tourer and it does both very well in my experience. I didn't want a big lumbering Pan, I wanted a powerful shaft drive VFR and that's what Honda built. It rides very much like a big 800Fi and goes like stink.

For years people posted all over the internet that Honda should build a 1000 to 1200cc shaft drive VFR. As soon as they did loads of people started moaning that it wasn't ground breaking, wasn't a Blade, wasn't a Pan, wasn't really a VFR!!! It looks to me that whatever they build it'll be wrong for the internet opinion poll!

Meanwhile, I'll just continue travelling around the UK's roads at warp factor 10 with an insane grin on my face because in my not insubstantial experience this is an awesome ST bike.

Although beauty is in the eye of beholder I do see the beauty in its lines. It is a striking motorcycle which separates itself from virtually all sport touring machines. In my opinion Honda missed the initial target price by several thousand dollars and further compounded the problem by not including  the bags as a standard feature like Yamaha, Kawasaki and BMW. Alone with some minor tweeking it is a fine machine capable of several different duties which is really a great thing to be.

14 hours ago, keny said:

I think many see the VFR1200 as a more tour bike as sports bike, this pic did change my mine, or just rider skills?

b30034b7efbf8fb9b385564d4e9e5e16.jpgso that's what it looks like

Archived