Out of state Gen 8 purchase

bobbyn

I'm thinking about traveling out of state to buy a leftover new 2014 VFR800 standard. Yes its all about pricing. Because I have to modify any bike I want to ride, buying and modifying a new bike blows the warranty out of the water. I already know that once I leave any promises made after the purchase vaporize. The bike will be assembled and then shipped home. 

I want to get the deal done before the lovely Mrs changes her mind.

Any comments/advice?

BobbyN

IMAG2978.jpg

IMAG2976.jpg

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, bobbyn said:

I'm thinking about traveling out of state to buy a leftover new 2014 VFR800 standard. Yes its all about pricing. Because I have to modify any bike I want to ride, buying and modifying a new bike blows the warranty out of the water.

Not necessarily.  Only the parts affected by your mods would be out of warrantee.  And a warrantee from American Honda should be honored anywhere in the USA.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

When you don't know who you're dealing with personally, your risk goes up.  I bought out of state but knew the people I dealt with.  

3 hours ago, Bent said:

When you don't know who you're dealing with personally, your risk goes up.  I bought out of state but knew the people I dealt with.  

I found this shop on cycletrader.com. Everyone seems nice on the phone, but... 

Since this is a motorcycle, anything not right should be readily apparent. Because I cannot test ride it, I will probably have a tech ride it through the parking lot for me.

Any other suggestions?

1 hour ago, mikeswe said:

Just curious, the inner lever is for the rear brake?

Inner lever, clutch

Outer lever, rear brake

Foot brake operates the front disks. I installed a larger master cylinder so my foot can have a better feel for the front brakes.

Custom steel braided lines throughout.

• Member Contributer

MY point in asking if you had found the bike you want is that would indicate a location and the VFRD community could come together to take a look at it PRIOR to you traveling as well as be onsite to help you out during the purchase process.

My last 5 used bike purchases have all been out of state and have all had a VFR member look the bike for me prior to me making the deal to purchase.  My current favorite VFR was even shipped site unseen by my, just relying on a VFRD member to look for the things I wanted to know about.

So what city is it in?

46 minutes ago, CornerCarver said:

MY point in asking if you had found the bike you want is that would indicate a location and the VFRD community could come together to take a look at it PRIOR to you traveling as well as be onsite to help you out during the purchase process.

My last 5 used bike purchases have all been out of state and have all had a VFR member look the bike for me prior to me making the deal to purchase.  My current favorite VFR was even shipped site unseen by my, just relying on a VFRD member to look for the things I wanted to know about.

So what city is it in?

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me an opinion on this dealer.

Cedar Creek Motorsports

Cedarburg, WI

http://www.cedarcreekmotorsports.com/

• Member Contributer

We have a good guy who is a member here, screen name J Stanwood I think....he recently went to work for Harley and sold his VFR as he had to park it in the auxliliary lot a half mile from the office and take the shuttle bus in some such nonsense.

Ping him, he may know of the dealer or we may have another member chime in soon.

Did you ever consider the VFR1200 DCT?  Or the new VFR1200X DCT or maybe even the new Africa Twin DCT?  Just wondering if a factory bike with no clutch would be something to consider, to save yourself some modding time.  Obviously none of those are really the same as the 800, but I know lots of people that are pretty happy with the big 1200, and all its power.  Plus there are still new leftover 2013 VFR1200's going for under $10K.

I'm assuming you're already fully aware of these and decided against them, but thought I'd throw it out, just in case you've been living under a rock ;-)

47 minutes ago, DriverDave said:

Did you ever consider the VFR1200 DCT? 

Too big, too fugly. I'm selling a 1985 V65 Sabre because its too big. $2400

IMAG3351.jpg

IMAG3354.jpg

IMAG3357.jpg

IMAG3353.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, DriverDave said:

Did you ever consider the VFR1200 DCT?  Or the new VFR1200X DCT or maybe even the new Africa Twin DCT?  Just wondering if a factory bike with no clutch would be something to consider, to save yourself some modding time.  Obviously none of those are really the same as the 800, but I know lots of people that are pretty happy with the big 1200, and all its power.  Plus there are still new leftover 2013 VFR1200's going for under $10K.

I'm assuming you're already fully aware of these and decided against them, but thought I'd throw it out, just in case you've been living under a rock ;-)

I haven't been able to find those deals since the recall for the drive line was initiated.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a deal like that from DFW Honda early this year.

• Member Contributer

FWIW, I would like to share my experience in obtaining an out-of-state vehicle.  Although probably not directly relevant to bobbyn, since he is purchasing from a dealer, maybe I can save somebody the hassle I went through. 

In 2005 my Dad died, rip, and he willed his pickup truck to me, so that I could teach my son how to drive a stick shift transmission.  The truck had Oregon plates, and I lived in California.  My step mom signed the title over to me and gave me a copy of the death certificate.  I drove the truck back to California and proceeded to the DMV to title and register the vehicle in my name.  No way.  The CA DMV made me return to Oregon and transfer the Oregon title into my name.  Then I could return with the Oregon title in my name, and get the truck titled and registered in CA.  The Oregon folks did not mind that their title was in my name with a CA address.  For some reason still unclear to me, they would not do this by mail.  I had to physically show up at a DMV office to complete the documents, necessitating an unplanned 1200 mile round trip.

I occasionally see vehicles for sale on craigslist with out of state, sometimes even out-of-country plates.  In California, the people who purchase these vehicles don't know what they are in for.

• Member Contributer

California DMV is very difficult to deal with on many levels...

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...

Bobbyn did contact me and I explained that my experience with Cedar Creek was 100% positive.

Now I am curious if he bought the bike or not. I see they are still advertising them. After my DLX purchase they had 2 of those left and I believe 4 of the STDs. 

All the stars aligned to travel out to WI and buy the VFR800, I had a sympathetic wife (most important), I had vacation time from work and a bank check burning a big hole in my pocket. I even bought non-refundable plane tickets. But then a personal family issue came up and my trip was off. To say I felt bad was an understatement.

When the family drama was over, a biker buddy told me a local dealer had a left over 2014 VFR800 on the floor. I've never been to this store, but hey, its only an hour away. Sure enough the GM was anxious to get it off the floor and its now sitting in my garage. I didn't get the killer deal, but I got the bike.

Now I'm in the process of modifying it to ride with one hand. 

IMAG3480_BURST002.jpg

• Member Contributer

Congratulations.  Mine is exactly the same as yours.  You'll enjoy it.  One would think Honda could have put a muffler on it that didn't just dominate the looks of the right side of the bike and still just do the job of keeping it quiet.  Oh well, I'm not spending the money exhaust systems cost (too much) mainly for the purpose of making the bike sound "bad ass".  I like quiet bikes.  Just ranting again  ; )

• Member Contributer

Initially the OEM can looked bizarre to me due to its size, but it has definitely grown on me to where now it seems normal.

Funny thing about honda is that they aren't typically flashy or trendy but over time one usually realizes they had good judgement. Guess selling a gazillion bikes does that to you :)

Archived