New shaft drive motorcycle land-speed record?

VFR155

Start your own post on downhill AB speed records, I'm just trying to share information here, please go away. I'll start your post for you now! Lay it all out there. Thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VFR155, that is very impressive for no aero mods, factory height with turn signals etc. I am wondering what mods (slip on, decat header, air filter etc....) you have done as you said stock with an ecu flash, but that looks like a slip on. I would love to see you try a few top speed tricks and try again. I could imagine if you lowered the bike a few inches, pulled the mirrors/passenger pegs/rear rack etc and taped up the body lines, plus a slightly taller rear tire (a 190/60 instead of a 190/55), you could pull a few more mph out of the bike. Also if you hadn't already decatted the header and installed a higher flowing air filter etc, I am sure that would help as well.

Thanks CandyRed. It does have an Acro fart can (only) I fitted new. My oversight, that's it for mods. And, yes, I'm running with the 15lb Honda top case rack too. Thought of trying the stock muffler, no time, as with mirrors. I will have more time to play with it next year, this year it's all I can do to make the races at all.

And, I'm not really into running the bejesus out of such a sweet bike. I'll pick my conditions at future events and keep you posted. 

I was a volunteer at Loring before I ran, still am. I enjoy watching the whole scene from my private B52 parking spot at Long Shutdown, 2-1/2 miles from the pits, start and spectators. I hot lap when I care to, it's fun. I ran my CBR250R once Thursday,, 96 at the 1.5 mile trap. 

Its a a good time at Loring, everyone runs until they're done, out of fuel, broken and/or broke. 

Anyone heard from dynajohn? Good man, hope he's OK!

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, VFR155 said:

Start your own post on downhill AB speed records, I'm just trying to share information here, please go away. I'll start your post for you now! Lay it all out there. Thanks!

Ha, you wish wannabe!

Gloryracing - maybe you were joking and

1 hour ago, gloryracing said:

I was on Highway 28 at last years Tmac and saw my VFR 1200  speedo read 87 MPH.  Not sure if it is a speed record...but damn it was fun!

typed 87 intentionally? If it was supposed to say 187, I have two suggestions. Post that on the new Veefour post, and, sorry to be blunt, but keep that shit on the track! Wtf?

5 minutes ago, VFR155 said:

typed 87 intentionally? If it was supposed to say 187, I have two suggestions. Post that on the new Veefour post, and, sorry to be blunt, but keep that shit on the track! Wtf?

Are you done "kiddy"?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFR155 said:

You should come down and ride with us sometime.

This isn't really a ""you had to be there" comment but it definately helps.

No worries gloryracing. I appreciate your attempt to lighten the mood. How fast have you gone downhill on the autobahn?

Never been up or down hill on the Autobahn.  Would be nice to be there and not have to worry about "speeding",  but top speed is not my thing.  My top speed on my vfr is probably only around 110.  Certainly nothing against it and respect those that have the courage to enjoy it...again...just not my thing.   However, my posted 87 mph reading on hiway 28 may have been around a 35mph corner.  ;-)

2 hours ago, gloryracing said:

Never been up or down hill on the Autobahn.  Would be nice to be there and not have to worry about "speeding",  but top speed is not my thing.  My top speed on my vfr is probably only around 110.  Certainly nothing against it and respect those that have the courage to enjoy it...again...just not my thing.   However, my posted 87 mph reading on hiway 28 may have been around a 35mph corner.  ;-)

You didn't mention that it was two up.

Back in my youth, we used 2X + 10 on yellow corner warning speeds. A 20 mph warning would get a 50 mph entry. Formula repeatedly failed my friend's Kawasaki 1000 and skills. He ended up in bushes, ditches and lawns several times. 

Come on Kids, keep it civil or elsewhere.

Veeefour, stop the BS and negative slams here. This is VFR155's thread, it's not cool to Jack someone else's thread and start insulting the OP.

As mentioned start your own Speed thread and back it up with facts. 

VFR155 don't drop to that level with veeefour.

Thx

Sincere apologies. I left the other VFR site because of ignorant responses. I abandoned my previous post after Veefour's slamming it - I let it be, in hopes she'd just go away. When she hijacked this post I tried to respond firmly, I received pm's in support, and I allowed her to get my goat. 

As I've said before, I'm just trying to share information with interested parties, not make any great declarations (both posts on subject are titled with questions marks). 

In short, the speeds I have posted at the mile and mile-and-a-half are legit. The next time I post I will get a moderator involved before Veefour starts pitching her pissing match, sadly it's come to that. 

Peace

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, VFR155 said:

Sincere apologies. I left the other VFR site because of ignorant responses. I abandoned my previous post after Veefour's slamming it - I let it be, in hopes she'd just go away. When she hijacked this post I tried to respond firmly, I received pm's in support, and I allowed her to get my goat. 

As I've said before, I'm just trying to share information with interested parties, not make any great declarations (both posts on subject are titled with questions marks). 

In short, the speeds I have posted at the mile and mile-and-a-half are legit. The next time I post I will get a moderator involved before Veefour starts pitching her pissing match, sadly it's come to that. 

Peace

Not sure if you know for a fact that Veefour is female or if you are just being passive-aggressive...if the later then I regret kind of siding with you in this little internet pissing match you two were having.

If you know for sure that Veefour, please disregard this post.

I regret posting at all, pardon my pronoun guess. I figured Veefour is either female, or male with a VFR penis extension. I won't be back, you can have your forum all to yourselves. Have at it!

Enjoy your petty bullshit!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VFR155 said:

I regret posting at all, pardon my pronoun guess. I figured Veefour is either female, or male with a VFR penis extension. I won't be back, you can have your forum all to yourselves. Have at it!

Enjoy your petty bullshit!

It wasn't a pronoun guess though, was it? It was you childishly trying to get in that last little dig despite the discourse having already sunk to the point of a moderator having to come into the thread and call you both out.

Your petty, vindictive, childish little thread stated out well enough and I was interested in learning more about how you came to be associated with an official timing group as well as learning more about the big VFR's performance in this category.

I do hope that you will stay and conitue to contribute informative posts but it could be that you leaving VFRWorld for similar reasons to what you has just transpired here may help you reflect on how to better handle these situations. 

For the record, everyone knows that the timing lights are superior to civilian GPS as a means of calculating speed so I wish you had enough confidence in the info you had shared with us to ignore the ignorance of the second Veefour post regarding the accuracy of your trap speed and focused more on the pertinent questions of prepping your bike and your involvement with the timing association.

Best of luck with your search for a better forum, one without petty bullshit. If I ever found a perfect "club" I couldn't join it because I would just make it imperfect.

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure Veefour's bike is a bit more modified than VR155's stock, reflashed with a can DCT and while this thread degraded quickly, I have no reason to doubt either of you.

Regardless, with lots of mods, our VFR12's go plenty fast.

VFR155, if you are still around, did you add a stabilizer for the front? I remember a post way back where someone was looking for a front steering stabilizer as a requirement to run speed tests...

- Dan

• Member Contributer
On 7/18/2016 at 1:32 PM, gloryracing said:

I was on Highway 28 at last years Tmac and saw my VFR 1200  speedo read 87 MPH.  Not sure if it is a speed record...but damn it was fun!

If GPS is accurate then my NC700 top speed reading of 276 mph must be legit. Pulled that off on the Cherohala. I regularly see over 200 MPH on 28 with the GPS so that makes Gloryracing's top speed look pretty pathetic now doesn't it? The speedo shows a much slower speed so I will stick with the GPS for bench racing.

Missed you at TMAC this year Mark. You should do the Fall ride. You tried the S21s yet? Want to get a mileage report when you finish a set off.

The top speed from my trip to FL this spring was pretty impressive. The ST1300 is a shaft drive so you VFR1200 boys got some work to do...just sayin

GPS Top Speed.jpg

The 87mph reading was during a no brake run.  If I would have been on the gas I am sure readings would have been closer to 300!!!   Speeds in AR never seem to reach so high.  I am guessing the thinner air in TN and NC are what is allowing you to post those speeds.

Hoping to get back to the fantastic roads in the smokies soon...probably not this fall but maybe next year.   I know how much you must miss me...so...ya know you could come down and experience AR this fall for a fix.

Got 2 sets of s21's during the last rebate.  Waiting till cooler fall weather to mount up the first set.  Will let you know how they last.  FYI...just pulled an 016pro rear that lasted about 1150 till cords appeared.  Price was right so I thought I would give them a try thinking they may handle the 2up heat better.  Unfortunately, they started to evaporate a bit as well.  Guess I need to get one of those black st 1300's so I can slow down a bit and get better tire mileage!!!

• Member Contributer

Obviously when the roads turns back on itself and GPS satnavs struggle to stay connected you can get some squirrely readings. I have seen my gps go from an indicated 127 on the TOD to a recalculating, make a U turn when possible.  I would take that as hey, you are going the wrong way.

On straight roads with good sat coverage you can expect a +- 3% error for civilian stuff.

I have no lknowledge of the magic box that the Guiness book of records accepts as legit but timing lights are the trump card for any speed measuring contest.

That is not excatly the measuring contest that this thread devolved into but you get my drift...

• Member Contributer

The trouble with GPS & lights are that they can only measure average speed over a certain distance; they don't measure absolute speed.

I guess the only way to measure absolute speed is with a calibrated radar gun.

:comp13::goofy:

8 minutes ago, Skids said:

The trouble with GPS & lights are that they can only measure average speed over a certain distance; they don't measure absolute speed.

I guess the only way to measure absolute speed is with a calibrated radar gun.

:comp13::goofy:

Now wouldn't that just shrink that certain distance? Can you ever really measure absolute speed?

Archived