Range of the 8th Gen

I think it would be cool to make a 5/6/8th gen Frankenstein. 

Fifth gen 98/99 header and velocity stacks.

Sixth gen slip on and intake cams.

Eighth gen everything else (pistons).

With a good Rapid Bike intake/fuel map tune, I bet it would be very strong and efficient everywhere.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once I get things settled with a house purchase, probably some time this fall, I'm going to try and find out if the header routing on any of the earlier gens with a performance header available will fit into the 8th gen.

• Member Contributer

RC45 Header with a little massage should fit, they are still available from a few manufacturers, in SS or Ti, should fit with the 8th gen rads, but that is only an assumption on my part.

• Member Contributer
On 1 August 2016 at 10:05 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Where are all the silly off-topic posts about how inaccuracies in the speedo/odo will affect the range numbers?

In the other thread. 

• Member Contributer

Honda says 45 mpg and 210 miles between gas stops which sounds like an improvement over past.  At over $10 OTD I would just buy it and ride it. I don't understand why so much modification is going on.  

• Member Contributer

Pretty much that.  I used to like to tinker but never found the return on investment to be worth it except perhaps for what I learned in the process (like the ROI not being worth it, LOL).  And some like the challenge of trying to get the most out of what they have.

I would have laughed now at my youthful self from the eighties, trying to wring every last gram of performance out of a Yamaha RZ-350 or three.  At the time I was quite happy though, in spite of all the stuck YPVS valves, melted pistons, burnt clutch plates, etc.

In my old age I've decided it's easier to buy what I need in the first place.  Makes the neighbors happier too, not having to hear all that noise.  But that's just my opinion.  Everyone is different.

Yesterday I rode with a couple of friends - one on a KTM SM950 and the other on a BMW GS.  I had plenty of gas left at the end of the day while the KTM guy filled up twice.  A combination of freeway drone to and from, along with plenty of spirited backroad riding and some "unimproved" roads (oh I'm getting too old to wrestle a VFR through ruts and rocks, fuuuuuuk) got me 44 MPG.  And I'm pretty sure I burned less oil than the KTM too.

Your mileage - quite literally - may vary.  :-)

So far the most I've pushed this new VFR is 240 miles on a tank, and while I started getting nervous it turned out I didn't have to feel that way.  On the other hand the most I ever got from my 4th gen was about 225 miles and I had about a cup of gas left.  Though to be fair at that time there was a fair amount of moderate excess speed involved and I could have done better.  If I were well-behaved and could confidently plan on a gas station I'm sure I could have gone over 250 on the 4th gen.

I promised myself that this summer I would wait for a pleasant day, ditch the 8th gen's side cases, find a gas station with ethanol-free gas and run the bike to pretty much empty getting there, fill it to the brim with good stuff and spend the day at a steady, well-behaved 60 MPH or so to see what I can get.

When I get around to it and find the results I'll update the review on my web site and post a note about it here.

Yeah tinkering usually is a horrible investment, especially performance tinkering, but restoring tinkering could possibly pay out sometimes. I know I have put a huge amount of time and money into my bike and all I am left with is a bike that would probably only fetch 2 or 3 grand on craigslist, but what I really have is something that cannot be bought, a sixth gen VFR800 that has perfect fueling, fully adjustable suspension, USD front end, radial brakes, Brembo radial levers, weighs 460 pounds and runs the quarter faster than 10.82 at 127.4. Basically the bike that Honda should have built, but the bean counters intervened and they lost their soul. So I am pretty happy with it. I haven't done much to it lately because life is getting in the way and it is running great at the moment, but I plan on doing more tinkering.

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Yeah tinkering usually is a horrible investment, especially performance tinkering, but restoring tinkering could possibly pay out sometimes. I know I have put a huge amount of time and money into my bike and all I am left with is a bike that would probably only fetch 2 or 3 grand on craigslist, but what I really have is something that cannot be bought, a sixth gen VFR800 that has perfect fueling, fully adjustable suspension, USD front end, radial brakes, Brembo radial levers, weighs 460 pounds and runs the quarter faster than 10.82 at 127.4. Basically the bike that Honda should have built, but the bean counters intervened and they lost their soul. So I am pretty happy with it. I haven't done much to it lately because life is getting in the way and it is running great at the moment, but I plan on doing more tinkering.

yeahbut, what's it's range..?

If all I cared about was sub-11 quarter mile times I could buy a CBR600.

Oh, PS, my old RZ got much better mileage than my friend's CBR600 at the time.  We went on a cross-country trip together and at one point I ended up removing my tank and bleeding my petcock into his tank when he sputtered out fifty miles from anything.  LOL.

11 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

yeahbut, what's it's range..?

If all I cared about was sub-11 quarter mile times I could buy a CBR600.

Oh, PS, my old RZ got much better mileage than my friend's CBR600 at the time.  We went on a cross-country trip together and at one point I ended up removing my tank and bleeding my petcock into his tank when he sputtered out fifty miles from anything.  LOL.

Its not just the quarter mile, its the full package ;)

I have walked a lot of 600's, 636's, 675's and even a few liter bikes that needed a rider mod, but that's not the point. I am walking them, while being comfortable, having a longer RANGE, great handling/braking and most importantly, while enjoying the glorious sound of a 180 degree V4 :D

The only thing close to that at the moment would be the Aprilia Tuono and a possible future cross plain FZ1, both of which I don't plan on buying anytime soon.

I drove my friends 2007 cbr600rr from tampa to key west for him. It was okay while going over 80mph, because the wind can hold you up, but it was brutal after a few hours and the speed limit dropped. I had to pull over and fill that 4 gallon tank up pretty often and walk out the cramps.

1 minute ago, Rectaltronics said:

That's fine but you still haven't qualified the range.

I honestly don't know exactly what it is or really care for that matter, but it is pretty good. 

I mostly commute on my bike. 41 easy miles to work and about 48 not so easy miles home =)

I get about 180-190 miles to a tank before the light comes on. I have seen as many as 225 miles before filling up when it was a long, fairly easy highway cruise. 

By my math I get about 46-48 mpg overall. I am quite happy with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've got 2 VFR800's, an '02 and an '06.  I ride the '02 daily to work, about 13 miles each way in some traffic.  With full luggage I get about 42mpg in the winter and 45mpg in the summer.  On long rides, it will get 50+mpg, depending on terrain, wind, speed, etc.  The best I've gotten was 55mpg on one tank.  285 miles.  Took 5.2 gallons to fill up. One town we stopped in for lunch only had one station and it was closed.  We were cruising 70-80mph.    Everyone else had gotten gas at a previous stop but I still had well over half a tank left and I figured I'd just fill up when we got to where we were stopping for lunch.  So yes, I was on reserve for awhile.   A little unnerving when the light comes on in the middle of the desert.    But thank God, I made it to the next town.

The other day, I was moving and had my friend following me with a truck and trailer. I rode for a solid hour at 60 mph and only used the first bar of fuel. Impressive but excruciating. 

• Member Contributer
On 21 September 2016 at 9:14 PM, emil said:

460 km with 4.3l/100km. Impressive range.

The other week pulled into a fuel station as the trip meter just nudged 460k's (286miles) of mostly country riding, took on 20.43litres (=0.77litre left in the tank! Tank capacity stated as 21.2litre) Average fuel economy for the tank was 4.1litre per 100k's (Instrument Panel) actual calculated was 4.44litre per 100k's. 

Can regularly go the 400k's (250 mile) before worrying about filling up.

Bottom line is I find the 8th gen fuel economy consistently better than my previous 6th gens.

Cheers.

I managed 453km before running the tank dry going from Sydney to Melbourne on a fully loaded bike. Fun experiment but not something I would want to repeat without a spare 5L fuel canister strapped to the back. 

Archived