More charging issues

3dcycle

• Member Contributer

Hey so I have a 02 800 with a colt meter on it and I have been watching voltage drop off, from 13.9 to 13.7 to 13.1 so it's time to tear into it, oh and this is not running any extra loads with low beam on. So I do some testing and stator and r/r test fine, check my ground blocks and they are prestine. The recalls have been done. I have a long week off come up starting 6/5 so need this going, so I ordered ricks stator and r/r put it all together and I get 13.5 at idle and 13.8 at 5k.. Wtf am I doing wrong? Do I need a vfrness or what?

• Member Contributer

Did you check the little run of cable from the battery to the main fuse? The wiring there is severely underspec'ed and prone to going brown and crispy. I replaced mine with 12 AWG and a nice waterproof fuse holder while I was at it. I also ran an extra positive feed from the R/R straight back to the battery and liberally applied Oxgard to all earth points and high current connectors. So far so good (6 months after finding a blackend, melted through generator-reg/rec connector).

30amp_05.jpg.html

• Member Contributer

Yeah I inspected all the wires. I was surprised how clean the are. Main fuse is perfect, I will snap a few pictures later.

• Member Contributer

Hi 3dcycle.

Have you tried using a known good quality digital voltmeter and measured your charging voltage Directly at the battery terminals? Make sure your terminals are clean and tight - you might not have a problem at all.

• Member Contributer

Yup tight, good multimeter read the same my mounted volt meter also has a new yuasa ytz14s

Have you checked for a short by measuring the current between the negative terminal and cable?

Recently have you made any changes or adjustments whatsoever? Does the bike have any other changes from stock?

• Member Contributer

Have not checked for a short yet, no other electronical changes, only thing I have done is a JDM shock and fork internals

• Member Contributer

3dcycle, is your new battery actually going flat?

Could it be that with a new healthy battery your charge voltage may be O.K. The ytz14s battery is a slightly better spec than the original battery which was a ytz12s, the 14s has higher capacity and greater CCA (cold cranking amps).

Cheers.

Grum

• Member Contributer

no battery holds a charge fine, old battery was holding a charge but was 5 years old, and just replaced to be on the safe side. my concern is that while at 5k rpm I am only getting 13.9vdc at best. when I flip on high beams and heated grips it dips into 12.9-13.5 depending on rpm. 13.5 @ 5k. going riding for 9 days starting in just over a week. I may or may not end up doing some night riding and would like to be able to see without killing the battery.

• Member Contributer

My bike has a RR out of a Ducati I think, so not OEM. This has a very steady output while riding with headlights on, around 13.7-13.9 volts according to a digital voltmeter wired across the terminals. That has been plenty to keep my battery charged for the two years that I've owned the bike. The only time I've seen the voltage drop lower is when the stator connector gets a bit dirty. Heated grips do drop that voltage lower but I doubt that would cause a charging issue unless all your time was spent in slow traffic.

• Member Contributer

ok so I am talking to more and more people that have 13.9 vdc at battery and have no issues. this is odd to me as i work on Honda everyday, granted in the last 10years i have had maybe 2 vfrs come through the shop, and they only got oil changes and tires. but any other Honda i have ever checked charging on is always into the 14vdc range. I do have a buddy with a 04 that is getting 14.5vdc out of his ricks stator and r/r though.

• Member Contributer

My 5th gen would always drop voltage to 13.9 or so when above 5 grand ,did it since new added VFRness and it did not change .I also tried different regulators and not too much different ,never had a problem on the road in 40k . I hope this helps .

• Member Contributer

well I think I will be throwing a vfrness on it and run it. even if it does not get here on time i will be running it next week. i will just keep a eye on it. it has just left me confused why the same parts on a 04 will do 14.5 and on my 02 i get 13.9 errr

• Member Contributer

Swapping components and getting a different result would indicate to me that somewhere the '02 has resistance in the circuit that the '04 does not (presuming the stator's output is the same).   I  get 14.6v from just off idle on my 6th gen.  I'm a fan of Oxgard - I go through all connectors and grounds using it - seems to keep everything healthy.

• Member Contributer

so a small update, took it out for a ride 13.9is the normal with it bumping to 14.0 on occasions. until more electronics kick in, like the fan that will drop it to 13.5 ish. not happy with it as I never noticed these drops with the oem parts, but im on vacation and I am going for a ride so hope to make it back and let you all know how it went.

• Member Contributer

ok here it is. I put about 1500 miles on the bike this week, it would go from 13.2 at idle to 13.9+-.1 volt at anything above 2k. got home from my ride on Friday and there sits my vfrness, so I installed it. hardest part was finding a place for the cluster of wires under right side panel. got it done, started the bike at idle I get 14.2vdc. at anything above 2k is 14.4-14.5vdc

so another with for the vfrness. tightwad could not be more helpful

Archived