Differences in range between the 2010 and 2012

Auron

The 2010 does not tell you miles to empty, or gallons remaining in the tank.  I think Honda set the gauge to flash with a conservative amount of fuel left on the '10.  I have never put 4.5 gallons in, and rarely put more than 4 gallons.  I fill up as soon as convenient after the gauge starts flashing.  If the '12 tells you gallons remaining in the tank, that alone is a win for the '12 if you are worried about range.

Swimmer also has a magic VFR, because the best I can get is about 45 MPG and that is cruising slowly on the highway.  I'm sure CA gas doesn't help.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/5/2016 at 8:45 PM, swimmer said:

Here are all my distances on each tank.

gallons

Christ, you must nurse that thing round like an old lady!  On a run I'm lucky to get 135 miles to a tank haha

22 hours ago, 750 said:

Christ, you must nurse that thing round like an old lady!  On a run I'm lucky to get 135 miles to a tank haha

And there is the greatness of the VFR. Some riders commute long distances every day of their life, and watch their gasoline cost. Some ride it like they stole it every single time out. The bike does both routines perfectly.

Dunno about the 'like they stole it' bit, it's awful on not-so-smooth roads.  But it does have a bit of oomph, yeah.

i can ride it like i stole it after the DMr fork mods....those rough roads are much faster now

i filled up 6 miles after the low fuel started to flash at 161 miles.....it took 4.12 gallons

according to the owners manuals, the 2010 starts to flash low fuel warning with 1.19 gallons left, the 2012 flashes with 0.8 gallons remaining

On 6 May 2016 at 8:49 PM, Auron said:

My theory is that the 2010's weren't using all the gas in the tank, or the reserve light coming on too early or Honda doing a combination of clever yet simple tricks to stretch out the range. From what I've gather here and on other websites the 2012's do indeed go 30-40 more miles on a tank, period.

You'd be right.

The first bikes just used just the fuel level sensor to figure when it was low on fuel. In 2012 they made some changes (inside the tank I believe) that increased the capacity slightly, but in addition to the Level sensor they also fitted the more usual Low Fuel sensor which is more accurate at figuring when fuel is low. The problem was the warning was coming on too soon. Those who complained about it coming on at rather low mileage also tended to complain it was taking less to fill up than expected, ergo, the warning was coming on too soon.

So the real tank range hasn't changed much, but from 2012 you get a more accurate low fuel warning - and there are some other additional gizmos in the dash, like range and consumption stuff that you can view. Also Traction Control was introduced in 2012.

Agreed, I found the extra "RESERVE" sensor while installing my cruise control systems. Also the tank looks identical but it may be widened underneath as they removed the black insulation foam pads from there.

I will be figuring out how to use the 2012 tank in the 2010 as soon I find the new type tank for a reasonable price.

Below the pic with extra sensor:

2012_tank.jpg

• Member Contributer
On May 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM, 2FAST4U said:

Rice is right. The difference between a 5.0 gallon tank and a 4.9 gallon tank is no more than about four miles.

I do know the 2012 & 2013 models have traction control while the 2010 doesn't. Just pick the one you want based on your color preference and budget. Strictly speaking for myself, I'd stay away from DCT models.

Stricly speaking, I'd seriously consider a DCT.  Read the archived reviews from those of us that own them.

In my experience, the fuel difference is meaningless.  Been on 7 rides of more than 1500 miles, and commute 167 miles RT frequently.  Never had even a passing concern on fuel capacity.  Found it easy to follow the simplest of plans to hit gas up points, which generally correlated with bladder/butt/wrist sensor warnings anyway.  Non-issue unless riding through the most remote regions.  In that case, make the investment in an auxiliary fuel tank as shown below.  Holds 2.5X the delta volume of the later model 1200 tank, is impervious to type of vehicle fuel (2-stroke w/E10 shown), proven leak tight, and costs less than a buck at Walmart. Been using these for years for off road riding, and pack one away in my hard bags when I feel any need on the highway...which was only on my first long ride.  No need now since I found it is of no concern.

image.jpeg

That is quite clever, I especially like how you could buy a new one and throw one away so easily on the road.  I didn't think it would be resistant to fuel but if that's the case I'm in. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

@Marsman99

I've never said or implied the DCT was a bad bike. I simply stated that I personally prefer the non-DCT. Since I didn't state the reasons why, I'll do it here:

1) The DCT accelerates noticeably slower

2) The DCT is more expensive

3) The DCT is heavier

4) The DCT's MPG isn't as high

5) When I'm driving a car, I prefer an automatic transmission; however, when it comes to motorcycles, I prefer manually shifting gears

I think I'm hardly alone: The non-DCT has outsold the DCT 2:1. In any event, I'm glad DCT owners like their bike. It's just not for me.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

@Marsman99

I've never said or implied the DCT was a bad bike. I simply stated that I personally prefer the non-DCT.

Never said you did, and not going to hijack this topic with another F vs DCT comparo of spec's, preferences and opinions.  The archives have all that.  Or, start a new topic and I'll be happy to chime in.  Ride safe.

I got my answers, hijack away.  I tried the DCT and it was a tough call, I'd be interested to know how many riders the DCT has actually brought to motorcycles. Mostly because anyone who can't master a clutch within a few days (if not hours) shouldn't be riding a motorcycle in the first place.

i think Honda used a big powerful bike like the VFR1200 to introduce their new DCT technology to dispel any notions that it wasn't capable of hi performance use, and now it comes out on all the smaller bikes

• Member Contributer

My local Honda main dealer told me that this year is the least year for the 1200F (possibly just UK/Europe???).

Such a shame as I am loving it at the moment!

Might want to reconsider using that Gatorade bottle for storing gasoline on a regular basis.  There are Federal regulation regarding storage of flammable & combustible liquids:

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=24903

Legalities aside... there are good reasons why CFR exists for this.  Considerable pressure (+ve or -ve) can build up in a sealed container simply from atmospheric changes.  Approved containers typically have mechanisms that relieve that pressure.

Not to say I haven't done something similar in a pinch, but I try not to temp fate any longer than necessary.

6 hours ago, Skids said:

My local Honda main dealer told me that this year is the least year for the 1200F (possibly just UK/Europe???).

Such a shame as I am loving it at the moment!

It's over for us in America too. Clock starts ticking for parts too, which might be a concern in 10 years since so few were sold/built. Not too many hanging out in salvage yards.  On the plus side, this will be an easy bike to sell and valuable several years from now.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Volfy said:

Might want to reconsider using that Gatorade bottle for storing gasoline on a regular basis.  There are Federal regulation regarding storage of flammable & combustible liquids:

Not talking storing fuel on a long term basis, which would be silly in a quart size container.  My suggestion is for those looking to carry some mileage insurance on a ride.  We've tested these bottles over several years of hard trail and enduro riding.  They can take the pounding inside a back pack and all the while in temperatures from freezing to 105 F.  Never experienced a leak, or detected any vapor seepage.  All fluid bottles are designed to accommodate a moderate head-pressure for the reasons you mention.  For whatever reason, this type bottle is built thick and strong, with a great sealing and durable cap. We've used fuel bladders purpose-made for this and they eventually failed due to punctures...and they pack poorly, too flimsy.

BTW, most approved gas storage containers do not vent under normal conditions by design. They are tolerant of quite a large head pressure to compensate environmental changes. Venting to ambient would not be desirable around ignition sources like a water heater.  However, approved containers do employ vents, or nowadays spark arrester screens, to stop the container from exploding if ignition occurs during use.  It'll still burn, but pressure won't build up inside and cause the container to explode.

don't let DOT catch you with gasoline in a gatorade bottle

that bottle will be a Molotov Cocktail in an accident

If I were to use a Gatorade bottle, whatever would go into the bottle would end up on the tank before my next fill up and I wouldn't use one more than once. Would that be considered a safe practice? 

• Member Contributer

This is a self-priming siphon I bought at Lowe's for $13. It weighs next to nothing and, as you can see, it's only 9" long. The hoses are flexible and take about 10 seconds to fasten onto the pump. If you go on 1/2 day or all day rides with a group, it's handy to have.........just in case. It works well.

Put it in a plastic shopping bag and into your backpack, tank bag, top case, etc.

DSCN0559.JPG

Archived