Needing A More Upright Position

Gelthos

Hey all, I have a 2007 RWB that I love. It came with Heli bars on it but I still want more rise. Has anyone tried risers in addition to the Heli bars? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Gelthos, I had Heli's on my 5th gen. When I got the 6th, I've stayed with the stock setup. After I sold the 5th, I picked up a R1200s, which has a lower bar position. Still following this forum, it really helped me out. The key is using the right muscles = core and squeezing the tank. I know, I thought the same thing = just give me the risers and let me be. lol. Fyi, I'm a brittle 55. 6'2" :-) Following the boards advice really helped with distance and comfort. If you're feeling the lean on your wrists, you're doing it wrong. It's really about posture and core. And hard as heck to explain. :blush:

My best to you in whatever solution works.

Dave

• Member Contributer

or you could go the other way and look into having the seatpan reworked to help taylor your riding position.... just a thought

Gelthos, you might also find that lowering the foot pegs will open up your stance and maybe give you the comfort you are looking for. There are a few options for these..

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mfw-vario-footpeg-mount-rider-most-honda-models

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/43599-obligatory-why-did-i-wait-so-long-post-bls-lowering-blocks/

• Member Contributer

If you're handy, you can do your own bar and peg conversion. Buell drop pegs and a DIY bar conversion. I've done both, and for the effort involved, I'd try the Buell pegs first, especially since you already have heli-bars. It takes a touch of grinding on the peg and some adjustment of your controls, but I managed to do it in about an hour, and it made more difference than I expected. The bar conversion is quite a bit more involved by the time you finish adjusting everything, potentially buying cables and brake lines, possibly lowering your forks to shorten them since they no longer need to stick up above the triple... I'm still fine tuning my bar conversion.

There are some on here who seem to feel that any modification is somehow an affront to Honda and the design their engineers bestowed upon us... obviously I'm not one of those people, but you do want to be very aware of your mechanical abilities before you tackle one of these modifications. Even with an aftermarket kit, there will be adjustments, and a bad mistake could kill you. The "work on your riding posture" argument is probably valid to a degree, but my job is sometimes extremely physical, and I hate to lose a beautiful day of riding because I'm too sore to get on the bike.

Man guys thanks for all the great info, I actually rode to work today because the weather has finally broke here in upstate New York. I tried to work on my posture and it does make a difference, for some reason it wasn't as bad as I remembered from last fall. So if I would loose 15lbs I think I'd be good and hell a bit healthier too. I think my issue is I have an old KZ650 that is straight up and down when it comes to riding position and I find that so comfy, I know that's not what the VFR is or ever will be. Thanks again and I welcome more tips.

-Chris

• Member Contributer

I find, if you are at your accurate weight, and ride with the proper position you can ride a full on sportbike/literbike. No seconds, no fast food, no soda, seems to help alot.

• Member Contributer

There's another option.

Put it back to stock and learn how to be comfortable with that setup. All three of my VFR's I kept stock because I just learned how to relax, move around, and make it work for me on all day rides. Riding upright can be as hard on a back as riding leaned over. But, I understand, we're all built different so whatever works is what you have to find. Just throwing out another option. ; )

• Member Contributer

I find, if you are at your accurate weight, and ride with the proper position you can ride a full on sportbike/literbike. No seconds, no fast food, no soda, seems to help alot.

LOL, I wish. Some of us have bone and joint issues that preclude this. Sometimes you just need the weight taken off a particular joint to remove discomfort. I'm 5'11' 160 lbs and in good shape but a previous bicycle accident left me with a crooked collarbone and wonky C4/5 vertebrae. If my position is leaned too far forward, I will be uncomfortable.

• Member Contributer

LOL, I wish. Some of us have bone and joint issues that preclude this. Sometimes you just need the weight taken off a particular joint to remove discomfort. I'm 5'11' 160 lbs and in good shape but a previous bicycle accident left me with a crooked collarbone and wonky C4/5 vertebrae. If my position is leaned too far forward, I will be uncomfortable.

Ha, not funny you mention a bicycle injury. I have a huge scar on one leg caused by a bicycle crash and I have 10's of thousands of miles on bicycles. It only took exactly 100 stitches and 60 staples to close the cut up so it would heal. Where I live, bicycle riding in the county is definitely more dangerous than motorcycle riding. I also have a back issue but I just adapted to ride my VFR's stock as they come. Ya do what ya have to do.

• Member Contributer

...It's really about posture and core. And hard as heck to explain. :blush:

As someone who has both back issues and atrocious posture, I one-hundred percent agree about the surprising importance of posture and body awareness when it comes to combating the chronic pains of middle age. If, for instance, you walk around with your head perpetually canted forward because you spend ten hours a day hunched over a computer...

post-31913-0-63522500-1460746282.png

...then your lower back is going to spend all day under constant strain as it labors to keep that ten-pound off-center bowling ball from toppling you forward. Much better to use the muscles at the back of your neck to keep your skull balanced over your center of gravity. An off-balance body -- like an off-balance motorcycle -- requires strain and exertion to keep it upright.

As others have noted, good motorcycling posture strives to shift the foundation of support off the small joints and muscles of the arms and onto the larger structures of the legs and core. I find that I need to work on this constantly not only for comfort reasons but for reasons of good riding technique. When my posture falls apart, so does my riding technique because you cannot effectively use the handlebars both as nimble steering controls and as a foundation for supporting the dead weight of your upper body.

All that being said, it's also true that some setups will simply work better for us than others, and this...

I think my issue is I have an old KZ650 that is straight up and down when it comes to riding position and I find that so comfy...

...suggests that there are setups you know work for you, even with your weight and posture exactly as they are.

Then the question becomes: With respect to your VFR, which is easier to successfully tune -- the setup of the bike or the posture of the rider?

Archived