Heyo. Looking At Vfrs

Rsparky

Hi guys,

I've only scratched the surface of the forum so far. I've wanted a vfr for a while. Currently own a Triumph Daytona 675, that has so many electrical issues it's literally making me want to sell it. When I bought it, I was even looking at vfrs, but the price was too good to be true. 15k miles later, and it is still an epic machine, just... Finicky. Looking to go back to Japanese, with a seat the wifey will want to sit on as well.

I love the idea of having stock saddlebags, and a center stand. Depending on the deal, might even look so new as one with heated grips!

See if I can upload a pic here.

Very much daily driver modded: refoamed and mesh covered seat, d/s grips with heaters on helibars, seahorse luggage with led auxiliary tail lights, and of course, bixenons up front. Honestly, it will all make it harder to sell, as anyone wanting a daytona will be wanting a sportbike! Not an old man cruiser! Lol. Haven't competely decided against just tracking it out, either. That got longwinded...

Anyway, feel free to direct me to some threads with usual failures, or things to look out for while buying my next babe! If not, I'll be lurking! Muahahahaha!

post-35380-0-07086300-1460339601.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you want stock saddlebags, you'd be looking at 2002 and newer - 6th, 7th or 8 gens. With 6th gens ('02-'09), ABS was an option - by some estimates about 10% came with it. They're easy to ID by the gold calipers (vs black) and the remote rear shock preload adjuster mounted to the rear footrest. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Like anything else, each has its stronger vs weaker points and then subjective things such as styling. Some of the 1200's (7th gens) came with DCT gearboxes if that's of interest. If you want big power for 2 up riding, you might find yourself gravitating to the 1200. The '14 and '15 800's are being discounted heavily, so shop around and you might find a deal on a new one.

• Member Contributer

As far as fitting hard bags on VFRs, Givi makes very nice sets for '98 - '01 VFR800fi. So fifth gens need not be excluded as far as luggage goes.

They come in a range of sizes. These bags pictured are 41 liters. I've lived out of them for up to five weeks while camping along the way.

GiviUSA: http://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/honda/vfr800-99-01

post-13282-0-60118200-1460397130.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have had some soft luggage that performed about as well as a burlap sack in the rain. However, I grown to love my "soft" saddle bags from Nelson-Rigg. I have always kept a hard style trunk for lockable dry storage but these saddle bags work flawlessly and I have been caught in a couple of day-long downpours on long rides. While you can't submerge them in a lake and stay dry, they did keep things remarkably dry inside. WaterPROOF is a strong claim and I question that label on anything I buy but I would call them 99.9% waterproof. So dry in fact that the top right side is where I keep my camera for quick, easy access, even during wet rides. One of the things I also like is that they are a rigid type construction so even when they're empty (as in the photos below) they retain their maximum capacity shape. It is also nice that they have a very wide double zipper configuration that opens on the top rather than a side opening bag that dumps everything out when you open the lid. Looking at the cash lay-out for a full OEM hard bag system vs. the under $100 range for these, I simply couldn't justify the difference.

Long Haul Ready

Does this make my butt look big?

I bought my VFR with factory side bags. I dropped the coin for the matching top case and bracket and I couldn't be happier. Mines a daily driver plus touring duty during the summer.

I love the hard bags. They lock and they are water proof, plus they look good on the bike. I never have to worry about something getting swiped either. I don't think I could have a bike without them now. They are life changing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I go used, I have no problem with aftermarket. Soft, even. I have a "soft" (firm shape) tail bag that worked for years until I built my current trunk. So it's just collecting dust in the closet.

May go look at a brand new '14 Dlx in Tucson soon. It was dropped in the dealer it looks like and they're asking 9k. Might figure out a way to take it off their hands.

• Member Contributer

Is that to say it was tipped over at the dealer and has some scratches? Some 8th gens are priced in the $7,xxx to $8,xxx range new, so check around and see if the dealer is flexible. If it's damaged I'd definitely get them to come down or replace the damaged parts.

The pics show tiny scratches on the clutch cover and exhaust. But all the plastics are too shiny to see. I'm not that interested in a perfect bike anyway, bought the daytona salvaged.

The guy on the phone said it hasn't been prepped, so no oil, gas or anything. Should I be concerned about rubber parts drying up?

That is interesting. I would think they would fill all fluids at setup time, aka when pulling the bike out of the crate.

Running the bike, heating it, and circulating the fluids is more important than filling the fluids themselves. I am thinking that the many dealers who offer no test rides on bikes are not periodically running their inventory anyway. Thus a late setup is probably no different than a setup bike that just sits.

If any dealer employees are watching this perhaps they can fill us in on the typical practices.

How about that black 2009 on Craigslist?

• Member Contributer

as a tech at a Honda dealer, we do not gas them until purchase, they come from Honda with oil in them. we fill the tanks when we sell them, top off fluids as needed, then ship them, we still have a '14s in stock, if they had gas in them it would be shit by now and would most likely not run.

Save coolant and brakes for sale as well?

The black one is nice. Bone stock is a plus, but black in Phoenix just seems preposterous to me...? Dude states cash, which I would be financing. Slightly more hassle for him, but not much. Saving three grand for such low miles, but a 5 year old bike. Makes me wonder if it has been a weekend only bike, or if it was ridden more, then forgotten.

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought it. Absofrickinlutely awesome bike. There are a few scratches, and a dent in the tank, but the paint is fine. Right bar riser is slightly taller than the left. But I may be going helibars anyway. 

Also, I'm thinking maybe the lower triple was slightly bent on the drop. When going straight, let go of the bars and I need to keep my head over the left edge of the windscreen, to stay straight. Highly doubt the forks are bent, as there is no visible damage at all. It may be an effect of the single sided swing arm too. 

It goes fine, turns on a dime, and stops fine. Shouldn't need many mods, but I'll save that for another thread. 

20160425_081058.jpg

20160424_151202_HDR.jpg

20160424_151101.jpg

Archived