Powder Coating Or Paint

N2v

• Member Contributer

Hi guys

Dunno what to do

I have a 8 spoke wheel been sitting the garage for a while now ?

I'm at the point now, should I paint it or get it powder coated?

The original colour is black, I did plastic dip for a while, looks awesome but was a b#%¥h to keep clean heaps of brake dust.

If I was to get it preped to either way what should I do?

Sand blast or get them to paint remover it?

The original colour had lots of paint chips

Look forward to your recommendation.

• Member Contributer

I had both my rear wheels powder coated and all I had to do was bring it to the powder coater, he took care of cleaning, stripping the old wheel. I'd ask the person doing the work, if not doing it yourself, what prep work you need to do before handing it over to them.

Easy question to answer, since I am going through this process as I write this. I just had the rear done, that was easy, Now the front. LOL that's a different story in making sure all turns out great, tricky little hic-up is getting the wheel bearing hub part of the wheel protected from clean up, in my case media blasting, then the paint application, I made a certain cover, hope it woks out like it should. The simple answer is Powder coating.

• Member Contributer

I went through the same dilemma on my 8 spoke. What made up my mind mostly was that I was not finding a good match to the color I needed in powder. I also wondered about touching up p.c. if it did happen to chip. I ended up going to ColorRite and getting an exact match and have some extra paint I can use to spray areas that need a re-touch. I used some 2000 grit to color sand the clear and it has a nice gloss. I suppose there are pros and cons to each.

• Member Contributer

Many have traveled this road. I started with a repaint, got tired of the chips and went to powdercoat. My shop does motorcycle wheels regularly and took care of the wheel bearings. Since I was at 45,000 miles, I decided new bearings were the way to go. The bearings have to be removed before powdercoating if you intend to reuse as the oven will boil the grease out. I mounted new tires at the same time and saved a separate mounting cost as well.

Archived