8 Gen Chain Adjustment, Side Or Centre Stand?

Grum

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

Have noticed that the adjustment procedure is subtly different on the 8 gen to 6 gen. The 6th gen calls for the bike to be on the centre stand while the 8th gen states to be on the side stand, yet the chain slack adjustment values are the same 25-35mm (1.0-1.4in).

Would it be safe to assume the reason for this is that the centre stand is optional for the American non DLX model, and that there would be no issue in setting the chain on either centre stand like 6th gen or the side stand? As far as I'm concerned its an easier job on the centre stand.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

If you have the centre stand, then use that I would say.

Why try and squeeze a square peg in a hole? :goofy:

It must be that the stand was an option. this way they avoid law suits....

• 1 year later...

My bike just passed 4000km and I did the first chain adjustment (with the bike on the sidestand). Should've done it earlier because there was exess play and last ride I felt the gearshifting a bit sloppy. Anyway it really is a piece of cake adjusting the chain on this bike.

• Member Contributer

Centre stand or paddock stand.. surely. :unsure:

I go with the manual on this one. No real difference in effort required and they wouldn't publish it if it were a bad idea. If I used a stand, it'd be a paddock stand. I wouldn't do it with the shock extended.

Dead easy on the side stand. Following a tyre change, my chain was left more than little baggy so needed urgent tightening. Loosen one bolt (redo to 88Nm) and the adjustment spanner in the tool kit. So simple, even I could do it :wink:

On the subject , how often do you re lube and or clean yours ? How many miles are people getting before a change is required ?

About to do a 2,000 mile r/t ride to the rockies. I am taking a small bottle of chain lube ( not spray on ) and 5 pairs of disposable gloves and some paper towels.

The first day is like 600 grueling miles so for sure will clean and lube after that day.

23 minutes ago, fink said:

Have a scottoiler installed so it's lubed all the time. 

How does that not get oil spit all over the bike ? Now when I oil I usually just have to wipe off center stand a day later from the sling off. And they say you need to use their specific oil which would not be easy to get being overseas for me.

Do you have any pics of this installed on the VFR ? If you can email pics that would be helpful, my email is my username@twc.com

• Member Contributer

If you look back on earlier pages there is a full install with pics. 

Yes there is a bit of fling because I had set it to run high due to wet weather on west coast of Scotland, but it washes off with soapy water. 

• 3 months later...

Resurrection, because I finally had to adjust. Measured my 8gen on center stand and kick stand. And with my sag (set for 160lb)  it's pretty consistently 5-7.5 mm looser on center stand. 

Ymmv

Archived