6Th Gen Hot/cold Exhaust

Guest Kris78

Guest Kris78

Hi all

I have my bike in a honda motorcycle shop at the moment for thermost and radiator hose change.

The mechanic just told me that the bike is running on two cylinders only as he can hold 2 of the header pipes but can't hold the other 2 as they are hot.

Has anyone had this issue before ?

Or

Do the 6th gen (2003) always run like this

• Member Contributer

That would definitely be abnormal. You did not notice any rough running and lack of power prior to taking it to the shop?

Guest Kris78

That I'm not sure about ,I just purchased the bike a week ago so notic of pack of power I would t know as I have never riden another VFR800 before.

The bike didn't seen to idle or run rough

I thought it should however have more power for a 800 than it does

• Member Contributer

If 2 cylinders are dead, it would seem likely either plugs not firing or injectors not functioning. Either could be quite simple - maybe just connectors unplugged - or more complicated - clogged injectors, fouled plugs, etc. The tech should be able to diagnose it fairly easily and tell you what's wrong - fuel delivery or spark.

Guest Kris78

I went and seen the mechanics doing my bike.

They suspect plugs , 4 new plugs $125 AUD

WTF where is the closest wall to bang my head on haha.

Worse thing about buying something second hand not all people are honest .. I was told new oil + filter ,new plugs and air filter and fuel filter all done by Honda where my bike is as it turns out the shop has never had my bike in for servicing or prepairs.

They know the old owner and the bike but have never touched it.

Well fingers crossed it sorted once the new thermostat new cooling system hoses and new plugs are fitted

• Member Contributer

Hi Kris78.

Can't believe its running on two cylinders, it would be unrideable, bit like a proverbial Chaff Cutter!!

How many k's on the bike?

The plugs are a Platinum Iridium type, very long lasting but expensive, to have all four replaced for $125 is a good price, I paid $92.40 trade, for a set of 4 NGK IMR9B-9H plugs back in May 2012, had done 51,000k's when replaced, the plugs removed still looked in very good shape. A buddy of mine did over 70,000ks on his original plugs.

Ignition wise these bike are incredibly reliable and very much agree with Cogswell.

Good luck hope they have it sorted out quickly for you.

Cheers.

Grum

Guest Kris78

Hi Grum

The bike has 91,000k on it.

It idles and rides to me what seems normal but as I stated I have never ridden another VFR800 before.

It all seems normal when riding and it seems smooth even when vtec cuts in it's smooth.

Thanks mate I hope it's sorted in a timely manner

• Member Contributer

Hi Grum

The bike has 91,000k on it.

It idles and rides to me what seems normal but as I stated I have never ridden another VFR800 before.

It all seems normal when riding and it seems smooth even when vtec cuts in it's smooth.

Thanks mate I hope it's sorted in a timely manner

Then your mechanic is telling you B... S... about it running on two cylinders!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Kris78

From what he has said ,all the header pipes should have heat in them when running , I was told that they had idled it up and still no heat in 2 of the header pipes.

2 were hot and 2 were cold ,cold enough to hold when bike was at running temp

• Member Contributer

Hi all

I have my bike in a honda motorcycle shop at the moment for thermost and radiator hose change.

The mechanic just told me that the bike is running on two cylinders only as he can hold 2 of the header pipes but can't hold the other 2 as they are hot.

Has anyone had this issue before ?

Or

Do the 6th gen (2003) always run like this

Kris78

Now let me get this right!!!! You're saying you rode the bike to the service people to have a thermostat and a radiator hose changed.

You also state it idles and rides normally to you, and that the VTEC transition is smooth, yet the mechanic is telling you its running on two cylinders!!!!!!!!

There's a lot of CRAP going on here!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Kris78

Hi

I didn't ride it to the shop I put it on the trailer as it was overheating on the weekend.

When I rode the bike on the weekend it did overheat and spill coolant over the ground though it was still rideable.

Honestly to me I am unsure on how the VFR800 should sound at idle and how much power they should have when riding , though from my knowledge mechanical side of things it sounded right to me on the weekend.

Sorry if it's confusing I'm just trying to write what I have experienced and what the mechanic is telling me.

Though in my original post I'm trying to find the cause of having both hot and cold header pipes at the same time while the bike is running ?

Hi

I didn't ride it to the shop I put it on the trailer as it was overheating on the weekend.

When I rode the bike on the weekend it did overheat and spill coolant over the ground though it was still rideable.

Honestly to me I am unsure on how the VFR800 should sound at idle and how much power they should have when riding , though from my knowledge mechanical side of things it sounded right to me on the weekend.

Sorry if it's confusing I'm just trying to write what I have experienced and what the mechanic is telling me.

Though in my original post I'm trying to find the cause of having both hot and cold header pipes at the same time while the bike is running ?

• Member Contributer

Get the mechanic to show you it running on 2.

From what he has said ,all the header pipes should have heat in them when running , I was told that they had idled it up and still no heat in 2 of the header pipes.

2 were hot and 2 were cold ,cold enough to hold when bike was at running temp

This. You should go to the shop and place your hands on the headers while the bike is idling to see the difference and verify for yourself.

If you suspect the shop as being less than honest do not alert them to the fact that you will be visiting prior to the plug change as it is easy enough to unplug an injector especially while they are in the "V" of the engine replacing the thermostat and related hoses.

If they have already replaced the t'stat and now the bike is running on two then I would suspect that they disconnected the injector by mistake.

When you say it overheated, how hot are we talking? If you over heated to the point where you warped a head and or blew the head gasket, I would not be surprised if something was damaged...

Did you see the temperature warning flashing and or get over 250*F/ 120*C?

Guest Kris78

I was told it was running on 2 cyl before they had stripped the bike down while they were pressure testing the cooling system

They have a VFR800 2012 for sale ,I'm thinking I will ask for a test ride and see how that performs compared to my VIFFR.

It reached 115*C when riding and topped at 118*C when I pulled up at home and idled it to open the gate.

The cooling system has been all over the shop , one ride it runs fine and site about mid 90's *C and then other times it's 115*C and spewing coolant over the ground this is why it's in for new hoses and thermostat.

Where I live in the top end of Australia at the moment it's always about ambient 36*C and 75%+ humidity

Well something does not sound right

I live in QLD and I went for a ride on sunday and it was 36°c and 70% humidity and my bike (2004 vtec ) never went over 105°c even after one retail / industrial section with 22 sets of traffic lights in an 10 km stretch

and it sits on a steady 81-83°c on the highway at speed no coolant spewing or overheating

Maybe your radiator cap is due for replacement

Hopefully they get it sorted quickly for you

These bikes do run hot anyway when in stop go traffic but not normally as hot as yours was the fan should come on around 105 - 107°c and keep it under this if all is working correctly

Well my bike does anyway with comparable weather to yours

Guest Kris78

Hi AllWeather

I just replaced the radiator cap the day I did the flush this is with a new cap which has was about 5 days ago.

• Member Contributer

It would be difficult to not realize that your bike was only running on 2 cylinders. I wonder if the radiator fluid went somewhere is not supposed to be and is shorting something out? Which cylinders aren't firing?

Guest Kris78

You may have a point mk2davis ,i had started the bike after I had done the flush to ride it on the trailer and I had rode it at Honda shop to back of store when I got it off the trailer ,I didn't notice any difference of break down in cylinders not firing from after the flush to before the flush.

The right side of the motor so (radiator cap side) back and front cylinders.

• Member Contributer

You may have a point mk2davis ,i had started the bike after I had done the flush to ride it on the trailer and I had rode it at Honda shop to back of store when I got it off the trailer ,I didn't notice any difference of break down in cylinders not firing from after the flush to before the flush.

The right side of the motor so (radiator cap side) back and front cylinders.

Hi Kris78.

We are all here to try and help you but your story is a bit hard to follow and its spread over two different threads being this and the "Flushing Coolant System" thread you started.

So now you are saying you rode the bike AT the dealership, even the ride from your trailer to the back of the store I would imagine to be just about impossible if it was running on two cylinders and sure as hell you would know it!

On the other thread I thought you had diagnosed the coolant loss to a faulty radiator cap, so you flushed the system and added new coolant.

- Did you drain the system via the water pump drain and the drain bolt at the front on the upper section of the cylinders?

- Did you purge the air from the system and fully top up the reservoir tank?

If you were not sure of doing the above you may have caused an airlock in the cooling system which may have caused your later o/heat issue.

Mate I do NOT want to sound condescending here, but with any job on these machines you really need to check the service manual on various procedures, being inexperienced and not getting good advice or not following service manual procedures could get you into serious strife. There is a wealth of good info on this forum, so have a real good look through it before you do anything on your bike.

Good luck with it and hope the techs get it all sorted for you. Hopefully it will be money well spent.

Cheers.

Grum

• Member Contributer

Hi Kris78.

Here's a bit of interesting info for ya.

If you've lost the two RH cylinders then these are numbers 3 and 4

The firing order is 1, 3, 2, 4.

After your number 1 cylinder fires you have 450deg crank rotation until you get to your other good cylinder number 2 you now have another 270deg crank rotation to get back to number 1.

Add to that the effort required to turn over two dead but compressing cylinders, you can just imagine how hard it would be for the engine to run let alone be rideable.

Guest Kris78

Hi Grum

This bike has been playing bloody mind games with me.... My 1st issue was , it continually letting coolant flow out of radiators and into over flow tank no matter what temp it was at .. So I purchased a new radiator cap ,that issue solved.

I then noticed it was dirty looking inside the radiator so I flushed the system and drained the cooling system via water pump only .. You mentioned the drain bolt at the front upper cyclinder ?? Sorry i wasnt aware of a second drain bolt.

The cooling system was all over the place , it wouldn't overheat and boil but then it would and so forth ...so in the shop it went.

Excuse my little knowalge on these bikes ,I assumed and just carried on with a service and diagnose as how I would on my previous bikes with cooling systems which were road / trails bikes.

But thank you for pointing out the 2nd drain bolt .... You learn something new everyday... I will be reading more and less swinging spanners on this bike untill I learn more

Guest Kris78

The 2 cylinders a not firing has me confused as the bike never idled bad nor did it cough and splatter when I did ride it.

At idle I could blip the throttle and it wouldn't think twice of reaching high revs.

I did see the plugs a short time ago ... Sorry no pics .. I can say 2 plugs were of a blackish colour combustion colour , 1 plug was clean like a newish plug and 1 plug looked as though it had been out in the weather for 12 months.

New plugs in for piece of mind and the hope that it was plugs causing what the mechanic said was happening.

Archived