Glare On Instrument Panel

MrGrumpy83

I've found that often when riding with the sun over my shoulder that the glare on the dash panel cover is blinding - especially if I check my speed. I seem to have the sun behind me quite a lot it seems and the angle of the cover is "just so" that it reflects directly into the eyes. Anyone else experienced this and/or have suggestions as to how to minimise the effect?

What is this 'sun' of which you speak?

Seriously, I've never found it a problem but maybe it's like wind noise/turbulence and depends on your personal dimensions dictating where your face is positioned and what angle you're looking down at? Can't think of any helpful suggestions, unfortunately.

I have experienced it but only briefly and not often, I only ever ride with a tinted iridium visor, I dont know if that would make any difference or not.

@ Fatshouty Its too hot here to ride at all :) :biggrin: :biggrin:

It's because we're riding in the Southern Hemisphere, and the bike is built in the Northern Hemisphere - the sun would be in front of you in that part of the world... unless you're in the UK in which case it's completely missing.

But in all seriousness, try using a dark tinted visor. I have one on my Shoei TZX helmet, and the dash is perfectly readable even in the full glare of 44 degree © midday sun.

It's because we're riding in the Southern Hemisphere, and the bike is built in the Northern Hemisphere - the sun would be in front of you in that part of the world... unless you're in the UK in which case it's completely missing.

But in all seriousness, try using a dark tinted visor. I have one on my Shoei TZX helmet, and the dash is perfectly readable even in the full glare of 44 degree © midday sun.

Riding in 44deg! you're a legend. What engine temp are you getting, mine runs quite hot in those situations?

Riding in 44deg! you're a legend. What engine temp are you getting, mine runs quite hot in those situations?

Freeway temps are fine, but stop-start traffic in congested peak hour, the bike has reached 112 where as the rider has reached Satan's sauna * kebab emporium when the towel staff are on strike.

• Member Contributer

You could probably get a lightly-textured (but still near-clear) plastic film from a sticker place or a window-coating place to put on the dash window. Something sorta microscopic "frosty".

It would be cheap to try, anyway. That is, if it's a reflection.

Otherwise maybe a polarized film could work.

The window-tint guys might have some good ideas.

You could probably get a lightly-textured (but still near-clear) plastic film from a sticker place or a window-coating place to put on the dash window. Something sorta microscopic "frosty".

Great suggestions! I'll head to a window tinting place early in the new year and see what they recommend!

• Member Contributer

Great suggestions! I'll head to a window tinting place early in the new year and see what they recommend!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_65822-74130-CS78_1z11os1__?productId=1095827&pl=1

Exactly. You have to look through the cover plate to read the gauges. A textured film on the plate would obscure the gauges.

Think about what the world looks like when your helmet visor is fogged. Same principle.

• Member Contributer

Advice is the same - go to people who do this kind of thing for a living and see what they think.

IP asked for advice, not nay-saying.

There are other options apart from frosted, that was merely one of several suggestions GP Paul gave in a post where he appeared to be thinking out loud. He then went on to say 'go and talk to someone who is in the window tinting industry because they know their stuff'. Easy.

I have to agree with Shinigami...I really don't see any way of cutting the glare, without reducing the visibility/readability of the gauges. As long as the plastic is clear enough to see through, it will be glossy enough to reflect the sun into your eyes.

I also agree that it can be a problem sometimes, but not as much if you're always turning...like on the fun twisty bits :491:

I have to agree with Shinigami...I really don't see any way of cutting the glare, without reducing the visibility/readability of the gauges. As long as the plastic is clear enough to see through, it will be glossy enough to reflect the sun into your eyes.

I also agree that it can be a problem sometimes, but not as much if you're always turning...like on the fun twisty bits :491:

Yeah, it doesn't bother me in the fun stuff. Problem is more every morning riding due west to work, and touring. And the twisties are due west of where I live, and I normally go in the morning - which means I also get the glare in the afternoon as I come home!

The only material I know that would work properly is the 3M computer security screen material that lets light come straight through and eliminates other angles.

These are the best computer privacy screens and computer privacy filters you can purchase for your computer, notebook or laptop. Excellent for open, high-traffic environments where on-screen data needs to be kept private; utilizes 3M's blackout privacy technology which makes on-screen data visible only to persons directly in front of the monitor; will not blur or distort image.

If the sun is directly behind you, not much you can do.

Rosco and Lee do lighting filters, you'd be looking for neutral density and not spun/frost, they won't optically distort what you're looking at regardless of distance from surface and may offer some degree of glare reduction providing the glare from the surface beneath is the issue, if the outer surface is causing the glare, this will likely replicate the effect although slightly dimmer as it's on the same plane as the outer surface. The net curtain effect that has been spoken about will cause a complete white out of the dials unless they are right up against the material/screen.

I've had glare a couple of times on mine, never bothered me to the point of needing to resolve it though, maybe if a very slow convex horizontal bend were formed it would give virtually no glare and not act as a laser beam to melt your dials.

Archived