Opinions On This Stator Please.

adeyren

• Member Contributer

Whats the general opinion of this stator (alternator over here). Looks dodgy to my untrained eye. Just took it out of a spare engine i bought (V Tec). Bought it really cheap on ebay over here - $25.00. Bought it solely for the clutch cover to send off to Seb for his conversion. As i am going to be a complete electrical overhaul this winter may get it rewound as my bikes done 35000 now along with putting on a Mosfet rec. Trying to forestall problems before they begin as i am putting a lot of miles on her (18000 since May). More importantly will this fit a 2001 5th gen?

post-30687-0-69244000-1445709792.jpg

the stator needs to be in the bike and up to opperating temp, in order to properly test. some stator faults will not show up until everything heats up and you get enough thermal expansion to reduce the clearances enough for metal to make contact or cause cracks in the insulation to grow.

I don't think it's completely cooked yet as I still see raw material in the lower right quad. :cool:

They all fry with that exact same pattern Bailey... Roughly three spires remain relatively unscathed and always the same three. This led to the hypothesis that the oil flow hampered by a vtec related conduit pipe blocking the oil dispersion (which the 5th gen doesn't have, and 5th gens don't fry many stators) leads to this epidemic stator-BBQ syndrome on 6th gens.

a4e113a06a4fed493412eb6e10020a0f.jpg

That stator (and I have replaced two score and five stators) is possibly not toast yet... It may have more km left on it than you think... judging merely by colour.

But the real test is with a multimeter. Are the phases communicating? They should be no continuity between them. Of course the proper test includes running it on the bike and checking AC voltage output per each 1000rpm... and resistance: 0.1-1.0 ohms.

I would

• Member Contributer

Thanks all but is the 6th gen (i presume its an early 6th gen) a swap for a later 2001 5th gen?

PS engine no is RC46E - 2414452

• Member Contributer

Cheers Auspanglish, discussion over! :biggrin: LOL. Will bin it and send the one off my 5th gen to be rewound then.

• Member Contributer

From all the images i have seen the stators seem to discolour in the same pattern. Is there a reason why?

• Member Contributer

I would bet that there are plenty of bikes running around with stators that look that bad or worse - the owners just don't know it. In the case of a used stator, whether to install it is somewhat dependent upon the consequences to the owner of it failing. If riding is close to home on streets where it's easy and safe to pull off if it fails and a tow is no big deal, or for track days, then maybe it's fine. On the other hand, for those that set out on multi-hundred or thousand mile journeys where a failure can mean being stranded in the middle of nowhere or safety is compromised, then a new one is a must. If it were mine, I'd have it rewound and ride with peace of mind. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

At this point, I assume that if I'm talking about a 6th gen VFR in any way at all, I assume the stator is dying at best. At worst it's completely charred and looks like someone hit it with a blow torch. Doesn't matter if the bike is running, parked, in a ditch, or in a museum. Either have that one re-wound or replace it with new.

Archived