5Th Gen Brake Discs And Pads

fonque

I am trying to figure out what type of rotors and pads to buy for my VFR to pass inspection.

For rotors I have seent "china" rotors for - $176 or EBC OE replacement rotors for $180 or EBC Prolite rotors for $400

for brake pads I think I have settled on EBC HH - $36 a pair

Are there any issues with the china rotors, or should I stick with EBC OE? I am not looking for an upgrade yet.

I have not been able to find anything bad about the china ebay specials, but nothing all that good either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I would stick with OEM or EBC for the rotors, and definitely get the EBC pads. They are excellent!

• Member Contributer

Definitely go with the EBC HH pads but as far as the rotors go, I never like to cheapen out on stuff that is crucial to my safety re: brakes! Personally I'd go with some Honda OEM, EBC or Galfer if it was my money.

I found a set of stock Honda rotors on eBay a while back, set me back $150 with shipping for both rotors. They were in great shape and well within spec too.

• Member Contributer

I bought a pair of the Chinese ones, and found them to be heavier and 1mm thicker then stock.

Had trouble fitting newe EBC HH pads as they were too tight.

I went back to the original ones, only replaced them to start with because of back and forth play on the bobbins.

Play is still there, but not worried about it.

• Member Contributer

There are some things that I would trust the "dubious Chinese quality" on, but my brake rotors are not one of them. I have heard the horror stories of exploding rotors. That was enough for me to stay OEM.

Look for a deal even if you have to buy a used set. I just sold a set to another member with only 7500 miles on them for $100 for the pair, and they were in great shape. I upgraded to Braking rotors, otherwise the stockers were fine.

EBC HH are great replacement pads.

My old set of rotors I are still attached to the old front wheel. If you get stuck, I'd sell them cheap. I'm in Aus though, but we have post offices.

What is minimum thickness?

• Member Contributer

My old set of rotors I are still attached to the old front wheel. If you get stuck, I'd sell them cheap. I'm in Aus though, but we have post offices.

Should be on the rotor

• Member Contributer

Hi Keef, I'm in need of a new front wheel.

Let me know if your willing to sell it.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't dish Chinese quality so easily, it's the same as Japanese cars were into the 90's, equal/better quality than western ones, but still carrying the stigma. I fitted Chinese discs to mine & EBC HH pads & they are wearing the same as OE dics/pads & this is with 4 pot Nissin CBR calipers which are miles better at stopping the bike than the OE fitment. I've got 5K miles on them & they have stopped me from 140mph plus & done a couple of stoppies, no drama.

They are much better than I was expecting, just ask others which ones they fitted. Chinese is not necessarily cheap, they are priced more realistically, where western pricing nowadays is whatever the manufacturer thinks they can get away with. The Chinese & other foreign products are forcing them to keep prices down to more realistic levels & I'm all for that. Come on the little guy :)

Hi Keef, I'm in need of a new front wheel.

Let me know if your willing to sell it.

Of course I am. And since we are both in Sydney, pick up is easy.

Send me a PM, mate.

Yeah I have heard both good and bad about the chinese rotors. Its the "bad" that worries me. I am fairly confident that I will not run into an issue with EBC rotors. I have not search for used oem rotors though.

Thanks for all the info, I currently have EBC rotors and EBC HH pads on the way to me. I got them on amazon for 449.54.I should have them in tomorrow, but I cant install them until I fix my leaking fork. I received the rebuild kit last week. So I have alot of work to get done this weekend. Then I can finally pass inspection and get this bike registered.

• Member Contributer

Hello fonque,

Is that pricing for the wave rotors and for all three? It's between EBC and Galfer for an upcoming rotor upgrade.

Thanque,

Archived