Cct Removal Question... Again

Ragnaco

Hey guys, does the bike need to be set to TDC (top dead center) to remove the CCT. Getting some mixed opinions from people saying it should be set to TDC so that the cam shafts don't spin from the valve spring pressure when you release tension on the chain, causing the chain to skip teeth.

However reading through all the CCT changing guides on here, not once does anyone mention setting the bike to TDC first.

• Member Contributer

If you are talking about the external components then its not required. It's only required if you are removing the internal slipper guides.

I'm only talking about removing the external cam chain tensioner to replace it, but as I said, I am not worried about doing so as I heard the chain could skip timing on the cam once tension is removed as the cam will spin from pressure unless it's set to TDC.

Hey guys, does the bike need to be set to TDC (top dead center) to remove the CCT. Getting some mixed opinions from people saying it should be set to TDC so that the cam shafts don't spin from the valve spring pressure when you release tension on the chain, causing the chain to skip teeth.

However reading through all the CCT changing guides on here, not once does anyone mention setting the bike to TDC first.

If just installing a new cct, tdc is not required

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only talking about removing the external cam chain tensioner to replace it, but as I said, I am not worried about doing so as I heard the chain could skip timing on the cam once tension is removed as the cam will spin from pressure unless it's set to TDC.

To answer your concern, as you release the tension on the cct, any rotational pressure will subside along with that, there really instant enough play to jump a tooth easily anyway, unless you actually tried to turn the motor over or tried to start it .

• Member Contributer

Even with #1 cylinder at TDC, the other 3 will not be, so there will be varying levels of force exerted against the cams by valve springs no matter what position the engine is in. And, the forces would tend to offset each other, so no worries about things moving around with the CCT's out.

Archived