Can't Start, Won't Start...

zektiv

So I pulled the plugs, inspected the holes, cranked it, inspected, cranked some more, inspected...

It's no easier to crank without plugs in. Maybe a skosh easier, but not significantly I don't think. It's hard to tell, tbh. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/w9O3EH8qEkg

The inspection showed that the cylinders were dry. Here's a couple of photos... Tough to get a good shot, I apologize for that.

c932fa24b67bfda0e35ca6430a6b0297.jpg

c1027003079b560cff146e7e86664c0a.jpg

Tried to get the shots when the pistons were near or at the top.

So to recap: I've pulled the starter and tested it for function. I've pulled the plugs and checked for a hydrolock condition. I've tested the battery. That just leaves the solenoid, not sure how to test that. Oh, and the starter clutch; not sure how to test or diagnose that either.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!!! Thanks to all who have thrown in so far...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I don't think the burned connector is causing your no crank problem, but it is something that needs to be addressed.

From the video, it doesn't look like your starter is bad. Also, from your hand cranking, it doesn't look like your motor has much more friction than normal when turning over by hand. I'm still leaning toward starter solenoid, battery, or connections in the start circuit.

Hard to tell from the vid, but is that starter motor spinning counter clockwise ??

Is that starter motor from the VFR or has it been replaced with a Magna starter ?

Also weird.. When you manualy turn the crankshaft, it is also engaging the starter motor. This should remain free when rotating the crankshaft in the right direction. Has the starterclutch been rebuild ??

Hard to tell from the vid, but is that starter motor spinning counter clockwise ??

Is that starter motor from the VFR or has it been replaced with a Magna starter ?

Also weird.. When you manualy turn the crankshaft, it is also engaging the starter motor. This should remain free when rotating the crankshaft in the right direction. Has the starterclutch been rebuild ??

To the best of my knowledge it's the original starter motor. The original owner might've changed it, I just don't know. The wear and patina match the rest of the motor but that doesn't mean much.

It *is* really hard to tell from the video and I don't remember. The starter motor is still on the workbench so I'll check it out and let you know today.

• Member Contributer

It's hard to tell from the two videos how different the force required is to turn it over. With the plugs out it seems like it's not much, if any different, but again, hard to tell. If you don't find anything else wrong, it may be time to remove the clutch cover and inspect the starter clutch.

Ah, the sweet smell of victory... (Or is that oil burning off?)

I figured out the problem and it turned out to be something that Dutchy pointed out way back at the beginning of the thread. I was doing all the tests and disassembling things, and during a break I pored over all the great replies to my issue when I really thought about what Dutchy was saying to look for...

The ring #8 It must be at the rear of the cog (is a biatch to do, need thin fingers or use a pair of long pliers while you wiggle in the axle.

I did as instructed, and immediately noticed a huge difference when manually cranking. I reassembled everything today and gave it a whirl...

https://youtu.be/qowshjGLqlc

It sounds glorious to me, but if a more experienced ear could listen to the engine in the above video, it'd be much appreciated. I feel like there's an underlying high pitched whine. Maybe I'm crazy.

I want to thank all of you for your time and patience with this noob. If it wasn't for this excellent community I have no idea what I would've done. Thank you all very much. And Dutchy, I owe you several beers!

Hey Zektiv... sounds pretty sweet to me.

The only whine that I can hear is the whine that the gear driven cams make: one of the VFR trademarks, and why some unenlightened individuals said they sounded like sewing machines :happy:

Personally, I reckon it's that whine combined with the deep grumble out the other end that makes them sound so glorious.

Glad you figured out your problem!

• Member Contributer

Sounds perfect - just the way it should! The whine of the cam gears is what endear those engines to many owners. Glad you got it sorted. Give us some pics when you have it finished!

Button up and take her for a ride!!!

Just did and omg awesome... Happy as hell. What a great bike, very very cool experience. Got a few questions now, but I'll post them in a separate thread...

• 5 weeks later...

Looked as if one piston top was excessively black, most likely too rich in that cylinder or bad oil control ring. Check after a brisk ride that the plug matches the others. A nice light tan is the proper color on the center electrode.

Archived