Angel Gt Mileage

lshark

my Michelin PR4 are starting to show some wear (going on 7000 mi) i love them but my only complaint is with the dual compound design....on the front, the hard compound center tread lasts longer than the soft outside, causing a weird change in the profile....this makes the bike want to stand up in turns.....my question to Angel GT users....what kind of mileage have you gotten on the VFR12 with them,...have you noticed that the dual compound wears like mine have ???? thinking of trying a set....don't want them if they will be shot after 4000 miles....thnx

• Member Contributer

PR4s usually last longer than 4-7000 miles. They are really sensitive to tire pressures though.

I got almost 7k on my Angel GTs before I got a flat in the rear. The front is still going strong with over 10,000 miles.

Tire mileage various to much from rider to rider for accurate comparisons. I get about 1,000-2,000 miles per set regardless of the brand.

If your dual compound front is not working for you and wearing to much on the sides, simply go to a single compound. The sides are not softer than the center, the center is a harder compound than the sides. A single compound may even out your wear.

• Member Contributer

Tire mileage various to much from rider to rider for accurate comparisons. I get about 1,000-2,000 miles per set regardless of the brand.

If your dual compound front is not working for you and wearing to much on the sides, simply go to a single compound. The sides are not softer than the center, the center is a harder compound than the sides. A single compound may even out your wear.

GTFO. You wear out a set tires in 1000-2000 miles with no track use?

My first rear on the ST lasted 1100 miles, my second 1400. Like Glory said if you ride quick the tires disappear. I avg. 2200 miles from a set of PP's on the 800 and got the best mileage from my PP front/PR2 rear combo where I get 33-3500 miles a set on the 800.

I tried the GT's and for me they lasted half as long as the Michelin's did.

BR

WTF ???? i got 5700 miles on my OEM B-Stones...3 sets of PR3s avg around 9000 miles...my front PR4 is shot at 7500...and i ride pretty hard

Mileage tire threads suck...

If I got 2000 miles out of a set of tires, it would be a happy day.

1700 miles and cords would be showing.

You might get 7K out of a set of tires, but your roads are just not as good.

There is a trade off, I guess.

Just got back last night from 5500 mile trip on new Angels. Route was from Raleigh,N.C. to Utah and back. 90% of miles were at 75-80 mph, only exception was great roads in Colorado. The front tire has typical ridge down the middle and rear wore absolutely perfect. I took it out today with all the gear unloaded and front tire handles like it should; no fall in on cloverleaf's or vibration. Tires will easily last another 5000 miles.

WTF ???? i got 5700 miles on my OEM B-Stones...3 sets of PR3s avg around 9000 miles...my front PR4 is shot at 7500...and i ride pretty hard

It's all relative, the 3 of us with extremely low mileage live in mtn twisties which greatly add to rapid wear. I'm guessing NJ isn't as blessed? :491:

• Member Contributer

It's all relative, the 3 of us with extremely low mileage live in mtn twisties which greatly add to rapid wear. I'm guessing NJ isn't as blessed? :491:

Also, our TN asphalt has abrasive aggregate compared to many places I've been. I've tested ours with rubber and with leather. :wacko:

Also, our TN asphalt has abrasive aggregate compared to many places I've been. I've tested ours with rubber and with leather. :wacko:

the twisties start at the end of my driveway here....that's why i wore out the soft outside of my front PR4 before the center tread

I know this is the 7th gen area, but just to add fuel to the fire...I only got about 4k out of PR4's on my 8th gen. Then about 3500 out of the rear on my current set of Roadsmart 2's (front looks to have about 2k more left on it, so I threw on another RS2 rear to hold me over until the next set). I'm strongly thinking about trying the Angels next. All my riding is hard canyon carving in Colorado and I tend to wear out the sides before the center on any dual compound tire.

As for PR4's, my front looked just like that picture near the end of it's life, which made for a very crappy feeling tire! I found that PR3's on my 6th gen were similar late in life, with lots of feathered edges and uneven wear.

I'm starting to think that dual compound is not such a great thing for us hard chargers that don't commute. That's what makes the Angel GT a good option...still single compound on the front, and a smaller hard compound in the center of the rear (20%).

• Member Contributer

The best for me lately is the new T30 EVO. When I had the VFR I was in the 1,500 mile club with the BR Michelin combo giving me the most total miles but they steered so bad the last 800 miles I could never match the pace of a new set. But I may be more sensitive to tire feel than others. My ST1300 is the same as BRs with miserable mileage if you ride the bike like a VFR.

My NC700 and CB500 are just as hard on tires as the VFR and the new T30 EVO on the NC700 has 1,200 miles on it and it looks new. Bridgestone completely changed the tire, giving it a different contact patch and improving the wet grip significantly. The tire is only available in 2 rear sizes and one of them fits the 5th/6th/8th gen VFR and I would recommend them to anyone though a full test is still underway. There is only one front size, the 120/70-17.

If the T30 was available in ST1300 sizes I would spoon them on tonight. I could throw a 180 on the rear but I would be leery of the mismatched contact patches between the T30 GT front I currently use and a T30 EVO.

• Member Contributer

I ran the T30 on my 6th gen and very much enjoyed it & would be quite keen to try the EVO. I have made a habit of trying something new each time; so far the VFR has run BT-021, BT-023, Avon 3D Ultra Sport, T30 and currently on Roadsmart II. I am looking at either the Road Attack 2 EVO, Roadtec Z8 or the Angel GT. I think the RA2 is my pick this time around.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not an aggressive rider, if I were more aggressive I doubt I would see half of the mileage I see now.

2 sets of Angel GT Avg 10,000 Miles

2 sets of Micheline Road 4 Avg 12,000 Miles, on my 3rd set currently and have a worm/string plug on it now, found a nail on the rear less than 100 miles after tires were installed.

Tire pressure monitor saved my tire when I had a odd object stuck in my tire, and losing a pound of pressure every 2 minutes running at 75 mph. When I was at around 25lbs of pressure pulled over on a safe area and plugged the tire and on my merry way and 6,000 miles later still holding pressure with half of tread life left.

VFR 1200 is a heavy bike, I run 42 PSI front n back and the wear mark is on the center of the tire.

i bought another set of PR4s since i started this post....i figured that since i was going to do the forks this winter i wanted the familiar Michelins on it until i set it up....didn't want 2 variables to consider....still might try the Angels next time.....thanks for your replies

Just got back from a quick scrub-in ride on a new set of Angel GT's (standard carcass). They feel pretty good coming from the Roadsmart 2's, which I liked. They feel a bit more tippy dropping into corners, but not bad. Hopefully I can get more than 4k miles out of them...that's been about my limit with PR4's and RS2's. We shall see.

What kind of tire pressure monitor are you using? Hopefully I can also get 12K miles on my PR4.

The TPMS I have is by Tyredog, the car version that comes with 4 sensors, compared to the motorcycle version which comes with only 2 sensors. I like the external ones because I can easily change out a weak battery. I had an internal one, but during tire change one of the sensor stopped working. Car version monitor is larger easier to see the tire pressure, but is not waterproof. don't get the color version, tried that 1st and couldn't see the monitor on sunny days. If you're thinking of getting a TPMS, make sure to also install metal valve stems, if you're unfortunate the rubber stems may fail.

Plugged the tire 10,000KM (6,000) miles ago and still holding air, and having TPMS warns me of imminent tire failure. As you can see by the odometer, I went thru quite a few sets of tires on the 1200.

post-20375-0-07142900-1444885157.jpg

post-20375-0-18386500-1444885183.jpg

post-20375-0-27620900-1444885229.jpg

post-20375-0-82780300-1444885259.jpg

Archived