Ok Shes Fixed...

iLLiE

Hey everyone,

Got this beauty of mine running and legal, but need a few more things and maybe a question or two.

First Im new to motorcycles and riding them..be gentle please.

Frame sliders, where can I purchase a quality "no cut" set of these? Or maybe I need cut version of these? I got a 99 VFR and my local bike shop is no help. They also damaged my bike twice and attempted to deliver me the wrong bike once. Im also looking for shorter clutch and brake levers.

Im sure it needs to be cleaned, but any places I should not hit with water soap etc?

Is 87 octane ok to fill up with?

Thank you all

• Member Contributer

Really? DId that shop really try and do all of that to you?? That is unbelievable.

Welcome and congrats on the new bike!!! You will love it! Just take it easy riding in the next little while.

If it were me, I would check out all grounds and connections in general, and in particular the R/R. Do the drill, measure all crucial parts for proper electrical specs. If nothing is wrong, it is a great way to learn, and if something is wrong, you can replace it right away. From what you said, I'm pretty sure the shop did not do it. YOu should be able to find info as to what to do exactly, and what figures you should be getting.

Happy riding!!

C

• Member Contributer

Washing- like BR said, no pressure washing. I would plug up the exhaust as well and use a very light mist on everything. After drying everything with a microfiber towel I start the bike and let it get up to temp. Obviously don't forget to unplug the exhaust! :goofy:

Newbies sometimes want to use vinyl dressing to detail the bike. I would suggest not doing that, especially on the seat or tires!

Frame sliders- with the VFRs bodywork you are going to have a hard time finding a set of "no cut". My VFR had a set on them when I bought it, not sure what brand they were but they went through the fairing opening for the radiator. sold them off because if the bike tipped over, the frame sliders were going right into the radiator. I thought that was a very stupid design.

levers- all over ebay but the quality ones are Pazzo, Rizoma, ASV, and PSR. Some people have had luck with the cheap Chinese levers, YRMV.

Really? DId that shop really try and do all of that to you?? That is unbelievable.

Welcome and congrats on the new bike!!! You will love it! Just take it easy riding in the next little while.

If it were me, I would check out all grounds and connections in general, and in particular the R/R. Do the drill, measure all crucial parts for proper electrical specs. If nothing is wrong, it is a great way to learn, and if something is wrong, you can replace it right away. From what you said, I'm pretty sure the shop did not do it. YOu should be able to find info as to what to do exactly, and what figures you should be getting.

Happy riding!!

C

Yep unfortunately. I got the photo of the service paperwork where someone had mentioned the wrong bike delivery and in red pen all caps telling the person to use thier brain and deliver the right one.

Thanks for the new rider suggestions.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to VFRD.

Shorty levers are all over ebay.

Wash away, just don't use a pressure washer.

Yes, 87 octane is all that's needed.

BR

Thank you for the information.

• Member Contributer

I thought it was snake oil but finally tried that S100 stuff and it works great - spray on, rinse off. The only caveats are to do it with a cool bike and in the shade - if it dries on the bike it leaves streaks. Works like a charm!

• Member Contributer

randomly addressing OP and follow-ups...

Don't spray soap... in your eyes! That stuff stings.

S100 and Simple Green are great but wash off very promptly. I use car stuff from Meguiars to wash the bike. Tough things can be removed with WD-40, then wash that off with the car cleaner. Touch up with Honda Pro Polish a.k.a. Original Spray Cleaner Polish. The more often you wash, the easier it is to clean.

87 octane is fine unless it's not. Your ears and your ass are the judge. If you hear pinging or knocking, raise the octane. If your but can feel the difference in octane, make the choice. It's only money.

Yep unfortunately. I got the photo of the service paperwork where someone had mentioned the wrong bike delivery and in red pen all caps telling the person to use thier brain and deliver the right one.

If they handed me a nicer bike, I might just go for a long ride before returning and saying, now that I use my brain, I don't think this is my bike. :laugh:

Don't think I'd use that shop again. :rolleyes:

Archived