Any Suggestions For A Motorcycle Specific Compact Medical / First Aid Kit?

Corey

I want to put together a motorcycle specific compact medial first aid kit that won't be heavy or cumbersome on the bike. Something small that will easily attach to the exterior of the bike or fit inside a top box, but not take up a lot of room. I don't just want a boo-boo kit, but rather something more capable and oriented towards the needs of motorcycle related injuries. Does anyone have suggestions for contents, etc?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I believe I've seen moto specific kits at Revzilla and/or TwistedThrottle. By moto specific, I mean that they're compact kits that should fit under the seat.

• Member Contributer

Corkey, I simply carry a small portable kit used by cyclists. It's not much but better than nothing. Not sure one can pack enough for a big off, but things like stings and stone hits and such, or helping bystanders is the value in it for me.

Dave

REI has a small kit that is easy to tuck into a bag somewhere (they make one with even less stuff in it that is a bit smaller, too).

http://www.rei.com/product/832243/rei-backpacker-first-aid-kit-special-buy

http://www.rei.com/product/832242/rei-hiker-first-aid-kit-special-buy

• Member Contributer

This could be an extremely informative thread if it were to morph into what folks think are the most important things to have in a motorcycle first-aid kit.

There are tons of kits from the likes of REI, EMS, Campmor and so on but the question is what would you like to have to address injuries common to motos, that these little kits likely lack.

Are you looking to take care of things that come up in general, or dealing with someone in your group who went down? Making your own is the only way to go.. You can start with an off the shelf kit and add stuff like shears that will cut leather, slings, 4x4s, kling and kerlex bandages, splint material, pain relies, ice packs, saline solution, and maybe some soft packaging to put it in.

• Member Contributer

When kayaking took a roll of duct tape too.

Doubles up if band aids ran out or you are in open water and it rains. Also good to fixate a limb too.

• Member Contributer

+1 on the duct tape, or athletic tape. I'd also add a couple 2'x2' sheets of plastic wrap just in case you run across a large wound that you have to cover.

• 1 year later...
Are you looking to take care of things that come up in general, or dealing with someone in your group who went down? Making your own is the only way to go.. You can start with an off the shelf kit and add stuff like shears that will cut leather, slings, 4x4s, kling and kerlex bandages, splint material, pain relies, ice packs, saline solution, and maybe some soft packaging to put it in.

As for shears that cut leather, I know of 2 good trauma shears that would fit the bill--the Leatherman Raptors are one, but the other I'll have to look up.

Archived