Does Your Gen-8 Have These Fitted?

NZCam

Whilst looking at photos of other folks' Gen-8 VFRs, I noticed that mine seems to be the only one that I've seen fitted with the side-pieces on the mudguard (the piece circled in yellow). On each side, they're attached via the horizontal bolt (red circle) that holds the main fender & numberplate mount on, as well as a vertical bolt at the top.

post-18826-0-22980600-1437374009.jpg

Can I get a quick poll to see how many bikes did or did not come with these? Just want to know for the How-To Guide that I'm writing up.

Cheers - Cam

On 16/07/2015 at 11:06 AM, DriverDave said:

Just double checked mine and it definitely never had those extra pieces.

How curious. They're definitely factory-supplied; perfectly matched and shaped for the bike. Does your under-tail have the recess where the positioning-nub goes (through which the vertical bolt passes and fastens)?

post-18826-0-30469400-1437374123.jpg

Have to check when I get home, but I think I don't have them.

Honda did something very similar with the NC700S/X. Only the oceanian version has "MUDGUARD, RR. FENDER, 80117-MGS-U70". The other versions completely soil themselves when roads are wet, so many people here ordered them (at an outrageous price, €60 or something).

Just double checked mine and it definitely never had those extra pieces.

How curious. They're definitely factory-supplied; perfectly matched and shaped for the bike. Does your under-tail have the recess where the positioning-nub goes (through which the vertical bolt passes and fastens)?

attachicon.gifG02.JPG

Yes, there is a round recess with a bolt in it...just looks like a normal mounting bolt for the underfender part.

They must be wombat deflectors, or something.

Nothing deflects a wombat. When Chuck Norris sees a wombat on the road, even he slows down and goes around.

Probably some really weird stipulation that Honda overlooked for those countries. I bet Oz dictates a minimum sq.in. area for the mudguard. Honda added the small pieces as an afterthought to meet the req's in those countries.

On 23/07/2015 at 2:16 AM, SEBSPEED said:

Probably some really weird stipulation that Honda overlooked for those countries. I bet Oz dictates a minimum sq.in. area for the mudguard. Honda added the small pieces as an afterthought to meet the req's in those countries.

I thought it might have been a Japanese thing that was left on for the Australian market, but a quick visit to honda.co.jp suggests that no, even their domestic articles aren't fitted with them. Which is even more odd, given that there are recesses to accommodate the vertical bolt and locator nub on all Gen-8 VFRs.

Images from Honda's Japanese web-page:

post-18826-0-73013500-1437604467.jpgpost-18826-0-72277800-1437604513.jpg

Archived