Strange Tyre Wear

Skids

• Member Contributer

The front PR3 on my 6th Gen is at the end of its life (>16000miles) but I noticed some strange wear this morning as I was cleaning her.

IMAG0309_zpspmuc009a.jpg

IMAG0310_zpsou7dqufv.jpg

I'm very pedantic about checking tyre pressures weekly (36psi).

Most of my riding on my 6th Gen is commuting on 2/3/4-lane highway at "decent" speeds.

Any thoughts as to why the tyre has worn like this?

It is from flat straight roads and 16000 miles!

Man! Be happy you get 10000 miles out of a set of tires and change them sooner!

FYI: I get 1400 to 1600 out of a set of tires and most of my center look great. I send them to Florida to be finished off.

• Member Contributer

I know 16k is a lot, but it's the pattern of wear that concerns me and whether or not it shows something else is wrong.

I'm very pedantic about checking tyre pressures weekly (36psi).

Have you checked your pressure tester against another (calibrated) tester? Maybe yours is showing a too high pressure. I've had one showing 0,4bar too low.

You might be forgetting that these are dual compound tires.

The center section is hard. Then you have a lip and a flat spot on the edges where the soft compound starts.

I would say normal wear for straight road riding and straight line braking.

During braking, the center of the tire will dip in under pressure and allow the edges to grab or touch causing them to wear down the softer sides.

The fact that you wore the front down to the wear bars is concerning to me.

75% of braking is done by the front wheel.

When the road is wet a worn tire like will not stop like you want it to in an emergency and in the dry it just doesn't handle properly or safely for you or the bike.

When you walk by your bike and look at the tires and can easily and clearly spot the wear indicators, that is a good time to consider a replacement.

My experience is when I see the wear bars, two rides later the tire is done. - For me an average ride is 150 miles of nothing but twisties.

• Member Contributer

The cupping on one side is from Crown of the Road drainage angles, usually right side in UK, left side everywhere else that drives on right.

The lipping front/rear of the cross tread pattern is caused by acceleration, the reason they use slicks in racing is maximum contact & no tread. When you introduce tread blocks they move ! You can replicate with your finger tip, place on table & try to move whole finger/hand sideways & the skin at the tip will roll before it slips.

Imagine the the leading edge (as in towards the rear of bike, when tyre hits the ground) being your finger tip, as the tread contacts the ground the front of the tread block (actually towards the rear of bike) grips, then loads up then stays in place, followed by the main block which loads up with the weight & torque, thus the front side deforms & lips over the void in the tyre we call a tread groove, over time this produces the feathering effect on the front side & the worn effect on the rear.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the explanation Mohawk....so nothing to be worried about then.

gr8vfr - thanks for the advice but I've been keeping a close eye on the front wear for a little while and was happy to run it down to the wear bar. In fact it ran down to the bar in one days' commute which is when I stopped riding it. And I planned to take the 1200 anyway if it had rained but we've had a great couple of months of mostly dry weather over here.

I was surprised to calculate it at 16k, but they do say these Michellin PR's give very good mileage. I have a PR4 on the rear and am looking forward to seeing how many miles I get out of that.

• Member Contributer

My PR3's wore that way on my 6th gen as well. Mine were shot long before that - so you definitely got your money's worth!

Archived