Back In The Game!

• Member Contributer

Well, it's been a loooong time since I've posted anything on VFRD and I must say I'm very excited to be back. A little history. Back in 2004 I picked up my first VFR, a 2002 with about 3000 miles. I had lurked here for about a year before I bought the bike and then became somewhat of a regular for few years. I met a bunch of very cool people, organized some awesome New England rides, and spent way too many hours hunched over my computer screen reading nearly every new post on this site.

Back in 2009, for financial reasons, after putting about 20k miles on her, I had to sell the bike. I haven't ridden anything since, but as you all know, once the bike is in the blood, it never really goes away. Recently, to scratch the "need to ride" itch, I picked up a snowmobile and have been riding in the New England winters for the past couple of seasons. It is a great sport, but the snow season is just so short. When spring finally came around this year and the motorcycles started coming out of hibernation I started to think that it might be time to get back on two wheels.

What to get...what to get.

I thought this time around that I might want to ride something different. Maybe something more track oriented like a Yamaha R1? Maybe a bigger tourer like a BMW. Maybe another all-rounder like Ninja 1000. Maybe go in a totally different direction and have some fun on a Ducati Monster or some other street fighter type. A few bikes peaked my interest, but when it came down to it, I liked my old VFR so much that I thought, why not. Just get another one. Nothing really does it all any better.

So for the fun of it, I searched for "2002 vfr" on my local Craigslist, and there it was. A pristine 2002 with only 908 miles on it. Showroom clean. Pretty much stock except for a Staintune exhaust. I put in a rather low offer and it was accepted. In two hours, I'll be on my way to go check it out. If all is as it seems, it'll be in my garage tonight!! I feel like a little kid at Christmas.

Pics and details to follow!

Here's a pic from the ad.

2002 VFR

~Chris

• Member Contributer

Nice! I always find it very odd how some of us can put on 900 miles in a day, yet in 13 years the PO barely did so. Their loss is your gain! Congratulations!

• Member Contributer

Hi and welcome back!!! Being an almost new bike that has been sitting for quite a few years make sure you check her out thoroughly. Check for rust and dried rubber.

In any case I hope she is as nice and the picture suggests and that you are back on two wheels by tomorrow. And get ready to spend more time hunched over your computer screen again...

Ride on!!!!!

C

• Member Contributer

Nice find! It's amazing how some bikes sit and sit. Is that something like 75 miles per year? Wow!

Two things I noticed in the pic. This person has a few bikes. Really low mileage for a bike person. The battery cover is missing. Good luck with it. I'd really like to find something like it. I've wanted Staintunes for a long time.

• Member Contributer

Well...here's the scoop.

The bike was exactly as advertised. It's a 2002 VFR800 w/ABS. It has exactly 908 miles. It is nearly pristine. I had a friend with me and we went through the bike fairly thoroughly before shelling out the cash. The only modification we could see is a Staintune exhaust (which is my preferred exhaust anyway!) Everything else is stock. It came with the original seat cowl and plastic covers for the grab handles. Also a nice Honda cover. I was able to pick it up for $3500.

There were only two negatives we could find. First, It looks like it was tipped onto it's right side. There are some minor scuffs on the fairing, the right bar end, and the gearbox. Nothing major, hardly noticeable. Looks like a garage tip over. Second, the battery cover is missing. No biggie there.

The tires are the original Dunlops. The bike was most definitely stored in a garage. There is no dry rot or cracking on the rubber, and no rust anywhere that we could find. I'll probably ride a little on the original tires to see how they are, but will eventually put a set of Michelin Pilots on.

The bike was being sold on consignment at a vintage motorcycle shop. Very cool place and very cool guys. I met the original owner because we needed a signature. He told me he bought the bike new in 2002, rode it one summer, and then it basically sat. His wife wanted it out of the garage.

Going to get it registered, insured, etc. by the end of this week and hopefully get some good seat time this weekend to really check it out.

It has not had any of the recalls done, so I'll get to those over the next few weeks -- subframe weld, and wiring harness if I recall correctly. I'll get the oil/filter changed and probably change out all of the brake/clutch/antifreeze fluids to be on the safe side. I'll also try to find a battery cover and install it.

My old 2002 had a Power Commander with Coyze's map. I'll likely do that again as it really smoothed out the power delivery. Anyone know if the new Power Commander III EX runs the same ,djm files? My old 2002 also had Helibars (up about 1 1/4") and a Corbin seat. I may get to those at some point too. Oh, and a battery tender. Other than that, my goodness, what a clean bike.

Also, maybe you guys can help here. I noticed on the right side of the bike under the seat a knob that appears to be there to change a suspension setting, maybe spring preload? My old bike did not have this feature. Was it an option on the 2002? Maybe an option that comes with the ABS?

I'll post more pics once I have a chance to wash and shine her up.

Can't wait to ride and get back into the VFRD fold! Thanks!

~Chris

• Member Contributer

Well...here's the scoop.

The bike was exactly as advertised. It's a 2002 VFR800 w/ABS. It has exactly 908 miles. It is nearly pristine. I had a friend with me and we went through the bike fairly thoroughly before shelling out the cash. The only modification we could see is a Staintune exhaust (which is my preferred exhaust anyway!) Everything else is stock. It came with the original seat cowl and plastic covers for the grab handles. Also a nice Honda cover. I was able to pick it up for $3500.

There were only two negatives we could find. First, It looks like it was tipped onto it's right side. There are some minor scuffs on the fairing, the right bar end, and the gearbox. Nothing major, hardly noticeable. Looks like a garage tip over. Second, the battery cover is missing. No biggie there.

The tires are the original Dunlops. The bike was most definitely stored in a garage. There is no dry rot or cracking on the rubber, and no rust anywhere that we could find. I'll probably ride a little on the original tires to see how they are, but will eventually put a set of Michelin Pilots on.

The bike was being sold on consignment at a vintage motorcycle shop. Very cool place and very cool guys. I met the original owner because we needed a signature. He told me he bought the bike new in 2002, rode it one summer, and then it basically sat. His wife wanted it out of the garage.

Going to get it registered, insured, etc. by the end of this week and hopefully get some good seat time this weekend to really check it out.

It has not had any of the recalls done, so I'll get to those over the next few weeks -- subframe weld, and wiring harness if I recall correctly. I'll get the oil/filter changed and probably change out all of the brake/clutch/antifreeze fluids to be on the safe side. I'll also try to find a battery cover and install it.

My old 2002 had a Power Commander with Coyze's map. I'll likely do that again as it really smoothed out the power delivery. Anyone know if the new Power Commander III EX runs the same ,djm files? My old 2002 also had Helibars (up about 1 1/4") and a Corbin seat. I may get to those at some point too. Oh, and a battery tender. Other than that, my goodness, what a clean bike.

Also, maybe you guys can help here. I noticed on the right side of the bike under the seat a knob that appears to be there to change a suspension setting, maybe spring preload? My old bike did not have this feature. Was it an option on the 2002? Maybe an option that comes with the ABS?

I'll post more pics once I have a chance to wash and shine her up.

Can't wait to ride and get back into the VFRD fold! Thanks!

~Chris

Ditch the tires first thing! 13 year old tires is not worth riding on and risking it IMO. Of course the fluid flush would be on top of my list as well. The knob that you are speaking of is the preload adjuster and was standard issue for the ABS models.

• Member Contributer

Welcome back Chris! Time to break it in on some NH trails. :wink:

Kel! Good to hear from you. I may try to get a group ride together this fall. Be on the lookout! No off-roading this time. :unsure: Wasn't it your fork seal that blew on some crazy dirt road in the mountains last time?

~Chris

What a find! Congrats on your new-to-you 2002! :cool: And welcome back to VFRD! (I just got active again, too, right after TMac.)

I think the '02 also had the PCV brake valve recall.

I agree with the others - ditch those skins. If you don't have a set handy you might use some sandpaper to shave off the hardened surface rubber until you get a new set.

• Member Contributer

Welcome back Chris! Time to break it in on some NH trails. :wink:

Kel! Good to hear from you. I may try to get a group ride together this fall. Be on the lookout! No off-roading this time. :unsure: Wasn't it your fork seal that blew on some crazy dirt road in the mountains last time?

~Chris

Yep...and they were new...and that was no "road". Never saw a seal fail like that. Sure was fun though.

gallery_13847_4219_243699.jpg

• Member Contributer

Got her registered yesterday so did a short "maiden voyage" last night. Everything seems to be functioning normally. The brakes grab nice and strong. It rides nice and true. Suspension seems normal. No wiggles or shimmies. The motor fires right up and pull strong. So far so good.

Going to get it insured and inspected either today or tomorrow. Calling the local dealership today to find out about recalls and have them go through it, change oil/filter, change out fluids, etc.

Then...let the mods begin.

~chris

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a great deal on such a low mile ABS model! :fing02: My 2004 only had 631 miles on it when I bought it...of course, that was 8 years ago. :tongue2:

Archived