Tons On Cycle Trader

Did a search last night of 2010 - 2013 VFR 1200 bikes for sale nationwide on Cycle Trader. Was stunned to find 7 pages worth. Most all of them very low, to no mileage. Many are new stock in dealerships, but there are also quite a few private sales. What is it about the 7G that seems to create so much buyers remorse? What's lacking.... riding position, power, handling, performance?

I love the look of the 7G, but know that it's very polarizing because many don't. The problem with being stunned by beauty is that you tend to overlook flaws. So, is the riding experience as good as the visuals? And why do you think people seem to abandon the marque after such short periods of ownership?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1200 is a very specific niche bike. If it doesn't fit your needs for a bike then it sucks. If it does fit your need then it is fantastic! Love mine.

I really believe that it boils down to two issues. Perceived value and fuel range. When released, the damned things were far over priced. It doesn't matter the technological marvels that Honda put into the thing, when a bike cost $15K+ USD then it must knock the socks off you each and every time you see it and/or ride it. But the bike doesn't really perform that much differently or better than bikes that cost half as much. It is a very good bike, but only incrementally better than similar bikes.

The fuel range in reality is not that big of a deal. But it is the fact that whenever I pull into a gas station, the first thought is "I just filled this thing up" or I compare it to my previous bikes. The reality is that it is not that big of an issue. But one expects a new & improved bike to do everything better. That includes fuel efficiency.

Now, since I paid so little for my 1200, I can happily overlook any niggles with the 7th gen. Everything that it does better than my 5th & 6th gens, it does it by a big enough margin that I justify buying it. If I had spent more than $10K, I would not feel that way.

I really believe that it boils down to two issues. Perceived value and fuel range. When released, the damned things were far over priced. It doesn't matter the technological marvels that Honda put into the thing, when a bike cost $15K+ USD then it must knock the socks off you each and every time you see it and/or ride it. But the bike doesn't really perform that much differently or better than bikes that cost half as much. It is a very good bike, but only incrementally better than similar bikes.

I think this was a common criticism upon the bike's release. For $15k you could get something more exotic or more desirable than the VFR1200. Of course, I'm sure few people actually paid MSRP for their bikes, so that reasoning might be slightly flawed.

And most sport-touring bikes have much better range. The 7th gen's range might not be an issue, really, but it was nice going nearly 200 miles between fill-ups a couple times on my way home from TMac on Sunday on my 6th gen.

I've considered a 7th gen. for the eventual replacement for my '04. They are very sharp bikes with great features, and there are deals to be had, even locally.

I got 150 miles out of my last tank of gas and still had 2 bars on my gas gauge left. My gas mileage has only gotten better and better.

I love mine. It definitely stands out and that's probably a turnoff for those who want a cookie cutter bike.

My gas range is 175 - 200 miles per tank...really not an issue. And I ride it pretty hard. But, for a touring purist they would rather have 6+ gallons. Therefore the tourers don't want it. It is not a sportbike and therefore the crotch rocket riders don't want it. It was not what the vfr purists wanted for a new generation so therefore they don't want it. That leaves me and a few others that do. Perfect!

• Member Contributer

I just bought one of those VFR1200s for sale two weeks ago and really like it. The combination of function and form is amazing. All it really needs is a reflash, which is a lot less than most new bikes today require out of the box after implementing mandates from the bean counters, regulators, and company lawyers.

The previous owner sold his for the same reason that I sold my previous bike--to experience something new (I've never owned a V4).

So I wouldn't assume it's buyer's remorse.

I've agreed not to switch lovers but have full permission to experience new bikes at any time. :)

I heard someone describe the development of a Broadway play as a decade-long process that's a high-risk, high-reward venture, because there's no way to predict market tastes years in advance.

It must be the same with motorcycle manufacturers who want to innovate and create new motorcycles. Of course if you just keep making the same bike for decades, that's not really a concern (Harley). :schla15:

And I should add, don't be surprised to see the value of used VFR1200s INCREASE in years to come as the market comes back around and riders begin to appreciate what a great bike it really is.

• Member Contributer

I'm getting around 33-34 MPG... would love to see the kind of mileage you guys are getting, but I admittedly ride it a little harder than necessary. I like to keep the revs in the sweetspot...

-Dan

• Member Contributer

I'm getting around 33-34 MPG... would love to see the kind of mileage you guys are getting,

-Dan

Just look at my fuelly badge. That's through 51 fill ups. Bought in October.

• Member Contributer

For the truly pre-owned bikes, I'm not sure what issue or issues is driving this. Bikes that sat too long on dealership floors and are being moved at fire sale prices? I would imagine it's some of the same issues that the 6th and 8th gen VFR800's are having; staff don't try to move these things. And the 7th looks odd to a lot of folks. It looks odd to me anyway... And physically large.

They were also priced "optimistically" by Honda when they first came out and the mpg/range numbers turned me off. I also think they sound awful but that doesn't seem to affect BMW R-bike sales... Honestly I just don't think these bikes have a real target market, or at least not a very large demographic here in the USA.

And I should add, don't be surprised to see the value of used VFR1200s INCREASE in years to come as the market comes back around and riders begin to appreciate what a great bike it really is.

I completely agree with this statement. It may be a niche bike now, but it will turn into a cult bike soon enough.

I'm getting around 33-34 MPG... would love to see the kind of mileage you guys are getting, but I admittedly ride it a little harder than necessary. I like to keep the revs in the sweetspot...

-Dan

I don't ride agressively and that is the mileage I am getting. On my 5th gen I consistently ran in the 38-42mpg range. So far I have got as high as 34 mpg on the 7th gen.

Now all things considered, I'd buy my 7th gen again in a heartbeat. The bike is glorious to ride and it looks better everytime I lay eyes on her.

• Member Contributer

I rode Gloryracing's 7th gen at TMAC this year, though not in the tight stuff, and the bike impressed me. I loved the pulse of the motor, the light side-to-side handling, the immediate power and the pinky finger brakes. A set of lowered pegs and I could do some serious miles on one comfortably.

• Member Contributer

I too, feel the same as many of you. I have owned three different VFR's ('05,'06-ABS) and this one. When I first picked her up and rode it home 567miles, I loved her. Then she got boring... I made a few changes, DAM exhaust, Don Guhl's ECU Flash and WOW she's a completely different bike.

16578565004_ce8a6dc1fa_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

As far as the "tank range" issue.....when I commuted (70 miles a day) ( with 64 of those miles at 73 mph) on my VFR1200 I would get 43 miles per gallon on EVERY tank. The math looks like 43 X 4.9 = 210.7 miles per commuter tank full....not bad

Now on my last two "spirited" rides with numerous 9,800 RPM shifts points enjoyed,the VFR returned 42.6 and 41.3 mpg. That's a VERY good average considering the grin factors involved.

I think HONDA hit this SHAFT DRIVE ST out of the park! They just had lousy timing with the motorcycle being brought to market in 2009/2010 AND it was overpriced too.

Look at the ZX14R on cycle trader... there are pages and pages of new leftovers models of that bike too. You can get great deals on ALL kinds of leftover new rides. It is a great time to be a buyer....but you'll take it in the shorts if you try to sell ANY 2 or 3 year old motorcycle.

The VFR 1200 has quite a following in the UK/ Europe zone....they also have some very cool colors in those markets too.

Doesn't surprise me at all that there are so many leftovers and low mile bikes available. As has been stated, they were super expensive when new (in .ca a DCT was about 18k MSRP and a manual was 17.5k, I think) Looks like Honda Canada has dropped the VFR12 altogether, all they have on honda.ca now is the VFR800, not even the 2014 model is showing.

Things I like about the big VFR:

Shaft Drive (for cleanliness, I still prefer the feel of a chain, even tho the driveline lash is minimal with the shaft on the VFR)

Single Sided Swingarm (looks awesome, and the shaft drive helps keep it cleaner, longer)

Engine has lots of torque

It's deceptively fast

Fairly comfortable (stock seat is way better than even an aftermarket seat on my R1, I think the massive (IMO) weight helps a lot with soaking up bumps)

Looks (on certain days)

Options I have that I like:

OEM panniers (I've never been on a trip where I needed them yet, but it's nice knowing I have them)

OEM heated grips (really make a big difference up here in Canuckistan where it can be +20c in the day and close to 0c when the sun goes down)

Things I don't like so much:

Fuel range (either a larger tank or better economy or something, a sport touring bike should have a longer distance between stops than my R1 does)

Stock ECU fuelling (lots of fixes out there, I just haven't done them yet)

Stock exhaust note (I've added a comp werkes pipe, which helped a bit, but it's still not an engine note I've fallen in love with)

I find it quite heavy (when pushing it around, not so much when riding it. for a heavy bike it carries itself well)

Stock dunlops are garbage (IMO)

Fuel gauge is next to useless (120+km on the first segment, less than 100km on the remaining 6)

Looks (on the other days ;)

I've had mine up for sale for a few months now, and I'm not torn up that it hasn't sold, but every time I get on it I look at my R1 and think "I should go switch my insurance over and ride that instead"

First world problems, I guess ;)

• Member Contributer

That's a pretty photom, crazybrother.

I ordered a DAM exhaust last week and will do the Guhl reflash soon.

I guess my timing is pretty good buying the 1200, as the Guhl seems to be a recent development that fixes everything in one swoop.

When I first saw the bike several years ago, it didn't do anything for me (based on the unflattering stock Honda website photo). But I guess my taste caught up with the avant guard design, because now I think it's beautiful.

I'm at that point too. 33k on mine and a new pipe, seat, flash, is on my list. I've got the B-zaz thing now and it helped a LOT.

I love my big girl. I never see another one and I keep it showroom clean so people are always asking what it is and how they love the color. Heavy or not, she hauls total ass and feels as stable as granite while doing it. I was one of those unlucky bastards that paid MSRP. I had to have it the first time I saw the drawings.....

11 payments left.....

• Member Contributer

That's a pretty photom, crazybrother.

I ordered a DAM exhaust last week and will do the Guhl reflash soon.

I guess my timing is pretty good buying the 1200, as the Guhl seems to be a recent development that fixes everything in one swoop.

When I first saw the bike several years ago, it didn't do anything for me (based on the unflattering stock Honda website photo). But I guess my taste caught up with the avant guard design, because now I think it's beautiful.

Thanks, Brian F took the photo... He has a knack for making anything look beautiful. :cool:

I rode Gloryracing's 7th gen at TMAC this year, though not in the tight stuff, and the bike impressed me. I loved the pulse of the motor, the light side-to-side handling, the immediate power and the pinky finger brakes. A set of lowered pegs and I could do some serious miles on one comfortably.

Your assessment in the 'tight stuff' would be the same. It can't be thrown around as easily as a lightweight sportbike but certainly quick enough for an almost sane street ridin' pace.

Did a search last night of 2010 - 2013 VFR 1200 bikes for sale nationwide on Cycle Trader. Was stunned to find 7 pages worth. Most all of them very low, to no mileage. Many are new stock in dealerships, but there are also quite a few private sales. What is it about the 7G that seems to create so much buyers remorse? What's lacking.... riding position, power, handling, performance?

I love the look of the 7G, but know that it's very polarizing because many don't. The problem with being stunned by beauty is that you tend to overlook flaws. So, is the riding experience as good as the visuals? And why do you think people seem to abandon the marque after such short periods of ownership?

A lot of those ads are old and the bikes might have been long sold. I called a couple of those near me and they are no longer available. Some dealers are terrible with keeping ads up to date.

That said, I'm sure there are a lot more of them still in dealer stock that aren't advertised. I visited a dealer recently and he had 4 '13's on the floor (2 Fs and 2 DCTs), plus supposedly more at his warehouse but he wouldn't tell me how many. :happy: At the rate these 7th gens have have flying off showroom floors, I'm sure the existing supply in the pipeline will last for a while to come.

IMO, mechanically, I don't think there is much wrong that is unique to the VFR1200. Ugly?! Well, if BMW has no problem selling S1000RR with that Qausimodo mug, I doubt looks can be blamed for bikes that don't sell. :goofy:

The big Veefer doesn't sell here in NA because it is not what most riders want... which are either full-boat ST's like C14/FJR/RT/Trophy/etc. that have all the touring accouterments. Or... they want a big sportbike. Very few folks want something in between, which is what VFR1200 is.

• Member Contributer

Your assessment in the 'tight stuff' would be the same. It can't be thrown around as easily as a lightweight sportbike but certainly quick enough for an almost sane street ridin' pace.

Comfort trumps everything in my old age. Remember how we were laughing during TMAC about how a Handlebar Mounted Aleve Dispenser would outsell a power commander to the over-50 crowd?

Exactly...Which is why I ride an almost upright sporttourer. Before to long I suspect I will be on a totally upright machine. Unless of course someone actually develops the Aleve dispenser.

• Member Contributer

Comfort trumps everything in my old age. Remember how we were laughing during TMAC about how a Handlebar Mounted Aleve Dispenser would outsell a power commander to the over-50 crowd?

Do you lift and/or do cardio? Makes a huge difference. I think the older I get the harder I have to work in the gym, but it pays dividends come the weekend. Riding better now than I ever have.

Archived