Clutch Slip

Hi All,

I experienced some clutch slip in a high gear/ high rev situation....on my 98 VFR!

Normal driving it feels fine, clutch is no issue. But I'm aware of this slip so would like to sort it.

Anyone done a DIY home clutch change? Is it in the realms of a semi competent person? I've just ordered a manual and have access to tools at work.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.....Rich

• Member Contributer

It's a pretty straight forward job. Chances are you plates and friction material are fine, but the springs are getting tired. I would purchase the parts ahead of time, but would pull it apart and inspect before replacing anything.

• Member Contributer

I just did a clutch job on my 3rd gen. It is pretty straight forward. I replaced the springs and friction plates, and I rough upped the metal plates. Keep in mind there may be 1 friction plate that has a larger ID. That goes on first, or else your clutch won't disengage. Ask me how I know. You may want to replace the gasket. I didn't have to, but many choose to.

It is a time consuming process, largely because the plates need to soak in oil for a couple of hours before installation.

But before you do any of this, check and make sure your slave cylinder rod is clean. Sometimes it gets dirty and doesn't move as freely as it is supposed to, and its like riding around with your clutch lever partially pulled in. This mimics a failing clutch.

^^^This is all based on my 3rd gen. Your experience may vary.

^^^good advice.

Also, make sure it's not just in case of you touched the clutch while you had the throttle wide open. This happened to a buddy last year--he just had his hand resting on the clutch.

I had/have similar issues. replaced all the clutch discs/new springs new outer clutch. Still had slipping clutch at top speed on the track when I am using clutchless upshifting. I still havent figured out. I use rotella t6 5w40. I doubt that is the issue though. My friend rode mine on the track and never experienced those issues. The two differences is he is 75lbs heavier and he used the clutch for upshifting. I dont think he got to as high of speed on the straights as me.

• Member Contributer

The clutch will normally slip under high load, not high speed. If your friend is 75lb heavier & your clutch is weak he would experience slip under hard acceleration. At high speed the engine torque will be reducing above peak torque RPM which is about 8500rpm, so if it does not slip under hard acceleration, then it it unlikely to slip at higher rpm.

Check the clutch slave cylinder & actuation rod are working correctly, as clutch less up shifts are less likely to cause slip than using the clutch, so is more likely mechanical than clutch.

if you wanted to check if it's truly slipping, Rev to about 8000 rpm in 2nd gear then let off then immediately pin it full throttle. If it's slipping, you'll know~

if you wanted to check if it's truly slipping, Rev to about 8000 rpm in 2nd gear then let off then immediately pin it full throttle. If it's slipping, you'll know~

Be ready with the rear brake if it's not slipping. :wheel:

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a go. All in the name of research....

I replaced the whole lot of my clutch a while ago. Barnett kevlar clutch and metal plates and new ebc hd springs. Easy job. Real easy.

Just take your time.

There was no reason for me to replace it. I had a leak around the gasket so i replaced the clutch whilst the cover was off.

Well now I'm a bit confused. Took the bike out and did the 2nd gear 8k rpm and couldn't detect any slip. I also tried it on the motorway in fifth up an incline at 8k to 9k rpm opening the throttle fully and got no slip.

I changed the oil since the first slipping incident, so could that make a difference?

Cheers,

Rich.

Possibly. I still think it was an issue of you accidently depressing the clutch. It doesn't take much effort AT ALL when you're hammering it to make it slip. Try it & see what I mean~

Archived