When You're Getting Deeper Into The Motor Than You Planned...

This all started innocently enough - the neutral light wasn't coming on so I had to start my 2000 VFR while pulling in the clutch. Not how it's supposed to be, so I figured I'd find out what was going on. Pulled the switch and it seemed to work fine. Traced the wire into the space on top of the motor and... a frayed end met me on the other end. Some light shown on the interior revealed a mouse nest on top of the motor under the throttle bodies. Once the wire came all the way loose, the motor wasn't starting at all, so this had to be fixed.

There was a TON of crap in there, but I coudn't see well enough to see much. Used a compressor to blow out as much of the stuff as I could, so I could see a bit more. More frayed wires - crap. Ok so I have to get in there to fix whatever is wrong. Get out the book - gas tank has to come off, then the air box, then the throttle bodies. This is a lot more work than I planned on. My 'honey, this will only take a minute" was getting pretty far off schedule. Took me a while to get to the throttle bodies, including a trip to the hardware store to get an extra long screw driver.

Once I got the throttle bodies off, I could see that the mice had chewed through both the wire to the neutral switch and the wire to the oil pressure switch. The wire harness is easy enough to fix, but now I'm seeing other stuff too.

The bike has 28k miles, I'm the second owner, I probably bought it with 23k or so. In addition to the frayed wires, I see that the cooland hoses have leaked and crusted green coolant is sort of all over a couple of the hose joints. Also, I looked in at the valves and the tops of the valves seem to look sort of burnt. I'm no expert on valves, but they clearly don't look nice and clean. I can't tell if they aren't seating well or not, but that's a possibility.

So I stopped there because I ran out of time and thought I'd ask for an opinion. I'm not really up for tearing even deeper into the engine than I am already, I don't have the time or the inclination for doing a valve job, not to mention I've never done one. So what do you guys think? Am I far enough in that I should I stop there and have someone else do a more extensive maintenance job given what I'm seeing and the age of the engine? Or should I rebuild the wire harness, clean up the cooland hoses, put it all back together and go riding?

What's your call?

• Member Contributer

Can you post a photo looking down the intake stacks? It would be unusual for intake valves to be burned - they probably just have the normal accumulation of carbon. A photo would help. The wires can be easily fixed. Small coolant leaks wouldn't be unusual after 15 years. Probably time for new hoses anyway. If it's been well maintained and overall is in nice condition, I say give it a bit more TLC and ride it!

• Member Contributer

If you are that far into the motor, why not pull the valve covers off and measure the valve clearances? Not a big job, but if the clearances are way too tight then burnt valves are a possibility. You sure you're not just seeing fried mouse???

I'm guessing your model of VFR was not equipped with a cat!! (sorry couldn't help myself).

• Member Contributer

OEM coolant hoses are reasonably cheap. I'd replace the hoses that are cracked and any others that look like they are on their way out.

Clean the mouse nest out, fix the wiring, put it back together, and enjoy.

OEM coolant hoses are reasonably cheap. I'd replace the hoses that are cracked and any others that look like they are on their way out.

Clean the mouse nest out, fix the wiring, put it back together, and enjoy.

This is what I'd suggest. The wiring needs to be fixed, and you can handle that. Sounds like the coolant hoses are gone, and that's a simple fix, even if it might take a bit of work.

As for the valves and shims, feel free to take it to a mechanic once the other problems are solved. Some people prefer riding to mechanic duties, some vice versa, and some a combo. If you prefer just riding, let a mechanic take care of the more complex tasks required to keep it running well.

• Member Contributer

I would replace the thermostat, and the TB insulators while I was in there too.

^ this

If the hoses are not cracked, you might be able to get by with just tightening the clamps. However, if they are original equipment, or If there are any signs of cracking, swap them out.

I'm thinking if it was running well before, fix the wires and hoses, see how it goes.

Leave the valve adjust to a pro, if it's needed.

Spray a little intake valve cleaner onto the tops of each valve and let it soak while you do the rest of the work.

The wires as mentioned are easy to cut/solder and shrink wrap. Done.

The coolant hoses you can replace, I used a length of bulk heater hose and cut to suit.

May want to put on new hose clamps while you're in there.

And have a gander at the thermostat and maybe replace it. It's a bad spot under the throttle bodies and you only wanna go in there once.

Really it's not a lot of work, and you'll be happier for it, so will your bike.

post-554-0-86897300-1430826323.jpg

Archived