Too "red" For Wheels On A '08? Opinions....

HRCCBR

Finally ready to do my 8 spoker for my '08 Sword Silver...........

was digging gold wheels for a while but now that has faded the more I look at them

considered "color matched" kinda boring but safe.....

seen lots of black and white wheels already......

Kinda dig the copper looking wheels on someones pictures but maybe not for me....

This is really like trying to choose a candy bar when your hungry!

Silverish gray bike with black looks good but the 8 spoker gets lost a bit to me. White is not an option

Wish I could photochop!

What say you peeps? I know opnions are like a$$holes and everyones got one but I am genuinely interested.......Its called anodized red kinda looks interesting on a dark grey car......

post-30533-0-78335300-1429140332.jpg

• Member Contributer

Go for it!!! Sword silver with red wheels should look pretty sick. I would say if you could add some hints of red into the graphics that would look very nice.

• Member Contributer

I say that that is too much............

Put a hi res picture in MS Paint (yeah it sux but it is free), zooom in, put on red and zoom out... Then you will know.

Unless money is not object; you can always strip and do it agian...

• Member Contributer

Sword Silver and polished wheels has always been one of my absolute favorites. I can't find the pic I was looking for on VFRD but somewhere floating around here is a Sword Silver and polished wheel combo parked in the grass next to a pond. S T U N N I N G!!! Might have been Baileyrock"s? I would REALLY like to make this happen the next time I have the tires off my rims.

Here is a 5th gen that gets the idea across... http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/6834-9-5-05-002jpg/

• Member Contributer

That was me. I love the polished, but they are significant maintenance for everyday riding. A polishing cone in a drill makes shorter work of it. When doing the fronts especially, the rotors need to be protected from the polishing compound. My own $.02 about the Sword Silver is that it looks good in bright sunlight, but in shade it needs something to help the bike pop a bit more, so my preference was for a lighter color vs the body. I've thought about a lighter silver, but haven't tried it.

DSC04277B_zps1149e90e.jpg

DSC05345II_zps9ac5e6c1-1.jpg

Here's a closely matched 8 spoke for comparison.

DSC02440.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's a quick photoshop... I should probably colour-match the front wheel too, but this is a start. And since you asked for opinions... I'm not a huuuge fan of red wheels. Perhaps I can sell you on the gold? :goofy:

post-22867-0-35244600-1429246654.jpg

post-22867-0-42498700-1429246888.jpg

Edit: Thanks Cogswell for the great source photo!

• Member Contributer

Nah,

looks like what you really wanted was a Ducati Senna,

but didnot have the money for it... :goofy:

Color_SBK-1199-Panigale-S_Senna_01_1067x

I'll have to say, you can't have too much red!! :beer:

LeftSide.jpg

LOL now that is a lot of red!

I'll have to say, you can't have too much red!! :beer:

LeftSide.jpg

Not that is A LOT of red!

Sword Silver and polished wheels has always been one of my absolute favorites. I can't find the pic I was looking for on VFRD but somewhere floating around here is a Sword Silver and polished wheel combo parked in the grass next to a pond. S T U N N I N G!!! Might have been Baileyrock"s? I would REALLY like to make this happen the next time I have the tires off my rims.

Here is a 5th gen that gets the idea across... http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/6834-9-5-05-002jpg/

That is awesome but they would look like cap after a few days of commuting! Way to much upkeep for me but BEAUTIFUL!

Cogswell- thank you for those pics! Just awesome!

FSAE- YOU ROCK thank you for taking the time to do that. that is a bit much red especially when both were done.......digging the gold still.....kinda leaning to bright silver with maybe a touch of copper around the outside or something......this is harder than I had imagined.

• Member Contributer

Here's a pic on line of a silver with gold wheels. Not sure it's Sword Silver, but close enough for an idea of what it would look like. For gold I think a very light gold would be better. If it's too yellow it gets darker and contrats less with the silver.

I'm in the same 'not too crazy' about red camp for this bike, as it's a darker tone. Black (obviously), dark gold, darker oranges, etc all fall in to that category. Something in a lighter tone offsets the darker silver - bright silver, light gold, etc. would be my choice for contrasting color, or go color matched. The benefit of the latter is that you save the expense of doing the front wheel.

post-30538-0-83942500-1407561411.jpg

Not my favorite color combo... But Ducati does make some exciting bikes!

My 2008 848 is at 53K and still running strong and has always been trouble free.

Nah,

looks like what you really wanted was a Ducati Senna,

but didnot have the money for it... :goofy:

Color_SBK-1199-Panigale-S_Senna_01_1067x

Cogswell - Yea I do like the gold but I think I am going to go with a lighter silver or something and see if I can find a color that I like as an accent, going to try out blues and coppers. I would like some color at least on mine. Powder coater on Tuesday with the bike if the weather is ok, hopefully I can come up with something I like. Planning on just doing the rear at first since I have 2 rear wheels then follow up with the front when I can live without the bike for a little while.

Found a pic on the forum of someone that had a white one and did the wheel spokes in red with the rim in a lighter color that looked pretty good but was still a lot of red,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for all the help!

Archived