How To Renew Fading Cowls Renew?

VFRfix

1999 sun fading because the owner before kept it out in the sun... Any recommendations on how to get the color back? Will that back to black stuff renew red fairings?

I'm also considering a rattle can job since there are some scratches. I might need a little bond work too...

But maybe for now I'll just renew the plastics if it is possible...

I just repainted my faded plastics on my 02 viffer. I used plasti dip - looks great and very forgiving stuff. There are a bunch of different colors.

I purchased my VFR about a month ago and the previous owner took care of it but kept it outside. There was a lot of fading and old decals on the fairings.

I spent around $80 on plasti dip, glossifier, bondo, primer, and sand paper and took about four days to make the plastics look nice again.

• Member Contributer

If that were done in black, with that level of gloss it would be very similar to the 2004 Asphalt color.

• Member Contributer

I think if you are actually trying to bring the existing paint back, polishing compound, a good buffer and wax. Then you will know if you have something to work with. Otherwise, you are talking prep and re spay. Just a note, I have done a some rattle can jobs and after wet sand, buffing and polish, you can have a pretty good finish (wet sand is the key). If you spray and walk away, that is what it looks like.

P.S. I kinda stopped worrying about paint.

Oh nice.. is that permanent?

To an extent. It can be peeled off but it takes some time and effort to peel the plasti dip.

I've had my wheels on my 07 Suzuki M109R plasti dipped black for about two years and it still looks good. If you let it properly cure for a few day, it will hold up well against rocks and road debris.

I think if you are actually trying to bring the existing paint back, polishing compound, a good buffer and wax. Then you will know if you have something to work with. Otherwise, you are talking prep and re spay. Just a note, I have done a some rattle can jobs and after wet sand, buffing and polish, you can have a pretty good finish (wet sand is the key). If you spray and walk away, that is what it looks like.

P.S. I kinda stopped worrying about paint.

+1 on the rattle can, wet sanding and polishing.

Did my rear cowl on my Suzuki M109R and I was pretty happy with the results. After paint and clear went on, I wet sanded with 800, 1000 and 2000, then used a polish.

The original color was red. And good results takes time. b38b86d786059be2c0e0f9c4b5ebf5e4.jpgadf580bd0b3ba53b175f7d1bb6046dbb.jpg3d7041ca6eba63553938695c44461bcb.jpgbc10b4a0c64f435f1c5d4104dc9eacc4.jpg2fdc4d152c1d935f600d9b4f7f66af30.jpgdec5280949b324fca6f3a2279dcadf6b.jpg3e36e575d12e3ddb83a11cd6d95a65a7.jpg

• Member Contributer

I would be careful trying to restore the fairings on 5th gens since they are painted with a one step (NOT base/clear) coating and it is quite easy to polish through to the primer/plastic. Ask me how I know...

• Member Contributer

The simplest place to start is with some Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish. I believe this used to be marketed as Honda Bright.

Spray on and rub. Worth a try at ~ $10.

• Member Contributer

5th gens are base coat clear coat so there should be enough to polish out just be careful as Honda did not use too much extra material when painting.

• Member Contributer

Having just done this on the tail of my 1997 VTR1000, the only decently bright red paint that was still present was hiding under the clear part of the decals. I tried buffing/cutting but it jus gave me a shinier version of the very faded paint. I sanded, primed and rattle can painted, plus lots of clear coat, then buffing and cutting, and got just the same result shown on the black M109R, i.e. damn good for the money/effort.

• Member Contributer

5th gens are base coat clear coat so there should be enough to polish out just be careful as Honda did not use too much extra material when painting.

Only on the tank.

The fairings are one step.

Archived