Plasti Dip

czargee

So I PD'd all the fairings and plan to do the tank later. I think it came out pretty clean.

I found that it was a good idea to lube the screws with a little armor-all so the dip doesn't get pulled while screwing them in.

ffe87f634e02a40f6d184e282acffbe1.jpgb49d35aa00b5eb8f1408b0cc9a1bb295.jpg8d81aaa88f1c3114a9fef716a1c20ab0.jpg83067c7d1da70e4c36fc8751455f4dee.jpg4189c171c11046b383c6a8b874f154ef.jpgbda26ebcfa551276ba48c45e5e45aab3.jpg8f3e0a16e4ac1ff03c9f2313e28a91b8.jpg

Now it's ready for stickers!

• Member Contributer

Is your tank damaged or badly faded?

Don't meen to be nasty, but that tail section looks crap.

It might be the light or maybe it was heaps worse before the plasti dip, but it's not the best finnish I've seen.

• Member Contributer

Save it to an Aussie to tell it like it is ... :).

Sorry dude, but was "thinking" the same thing when I looked at this last night. I'm not aware of the process for Plasti Dip but can you wet sand the product between coats or before/after applying a clear. Maybe running a buffer with a rubbing compound.

I'm kinda thinking not ...

No you can't sand plasti dip, I've done some kinda decals on mine and that's easy to peel. My nephew just touch it with is boot trying to go on the bike and its start to peel. Ok being a decal, his foot pass directly at the stating line of the dip.

A complete pieces is probably harder to remove but... Once there is a scratch, its all gonna rub off easily.

Your job look good however. The dip will probably stay as it is full part done with it.

For the tail, you could add more layers directly on it, just need to remove dust

• Member Contributer

Anyone who is expecting a paint-like finish from plastidip needs to get their heads checked... Looks good, OP.

Well like my Aussie friend, I guess I need to set up an appointment for not knowing what the specifics are.

Know any therapists Mr. Zombieman ?

Plastidip is a rubberized coating that is removable, as far as I know it is not available in gloss finishes (but they are coming out with new "textures" all the time, so maybe this is not still the case)

You spray it on like paint, but it is removable just by peeling it off somewhat like the protective film that comes on a phone.

• Member Contributer

I think they have a "clear coat" that brightens it up some.

I did flat black on my car wheels 'cause they were looking pretty beat. Cheap and easy to put on and remove.

I think they have a "clear coat" that brightens it up some.

I did flat black on my car wheels 'cause they were looking pretty beat. Cheap and easy to put on and remove.

Added some PD glossifier for a touch of gloss. The matte red actually looked pretty good too. Here are more pics.

Spend around $70 and about 20 hours.

c60cf476c330654437772dade7fe4b74.jpge2461686260abf6c94183dbd0f0a3a9e.jpg85a876514dacd4cb560ddd0dc83da44d.jpg47f0a2b2f05690d175f98a6769a56de1.jpg79dc24e169c439a238fbc4fc485573b9.jpg

I think it looks fantastic! Great job. It's obvious they guys who don't like it aren't familiar with the product or they just have no tact when talking on a forum.

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

• Member Contributer

The only drawback is that it might add more drag because it's matte paint instead of glossy, and that would create more friction with the air molecules. So you will be going slower and fuel consumption will go up. :goofy:
C

The only drawback is that it might add more drag because it's matte paint instead of glossy, and that would create more friction with the air molecules. So you will be going slower and fuel consumption will go up. :goofy:

C

I did see a 12% decrease in fuel consumption after glossing. =)

• Member Contributer

And twice that in appearance. Looking much improved with the glossing!

I know we've grabbed much criticism, and sorry for not knowing too much about Plasti Dip, but your first pics - specifically the tail section, looked like you should have been able to get better results. Now we know you can! After all your work to repair your cracked up fairings, seemed you should have had a better finish.

Looks great now!

• Member Contributer

You'd be surprised at what they have now, for those who are aware or for those wanting more info, check out this website:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?gclid=CjwKEAjwuoOpBRCSy6yQm66J1g8SJABrXW48FwU7a4DCoZBue8inH1QS_U25fblBHrWUCpi2BLcn8RoCOGzw_wcB

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice. I just did the Sebspeed mod to make my tail section into one piece. Time to pick up some Plastidip and experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks very nice to me. How many coats did you do?

C

Thanks! Did a coat of self etch primer, 4 coats of red PD and 2 coats of PD glossifier.

Nice. I just did the Sebspeed mod to make my tail section into one piece. Time to pick up some Plastidip and experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to see pics!

Looks great! Plasti-dip really has come a long way. They have gloss, pearl, and even color-shift dips now. As someone linked, dipyourcar.com is the place to go if you're interested.

Archived