Hot Shock

weven

I have just replaced my rear shock.

http://www.fgspecialparts.it/en/product_details.asp?maker=FG&code=H0M062FQEECO&model=HONDA%20VFR%201200%20F&year=2013&product=

I have been adjusting it while on road and have been surprised at the heat.

Surely this would not be helping the performance???? :ohmy:

The exhaust is so close and the shock gets to hot to touch?

Need a heat shield maybe.. Any thoughts ????????????

• Member Contributer

The physical interaction of the oil forced through the valves inside the shock as it goes through its motions generates a lot of heat... more heat than that which occurs from heat soak from the exhausts. This was how it was explained to me by a suspension guru...

The physical interaction of the oil forced through the valves inside the shock as it goes through its motions generates a lot of heat... more heat than that which occurs from heat soak from the exhausts. This was how it was explained to me by a suspension guru...

Yep, the kinetic energy of the suspension compressing is turned into heat. Not to worry, hydraulic fluid (shock oil) tolerates heat very well, as opposed to other fluids like water. Really boils down to what temp the fluid boils (pun intended).

As an example, the airplane I fly uses hydraulics to power the flight controls, landing gear, wing fold, brakes, other systems...and my favorite the windshield wipers (late 1950s design). Every now and then when using the wipers a hyd line will rupture in the cockpit. Nothing like having scalding hot hyd fluid spewing all over the co-pilots boots. The fluid gets hot from passing through the engine driven pumps plus moving all the actuators.

Yes point taken, though that shock is getting really dam hot.

I have had the experience of shock absorbers fading out on a Four Wheel Drive (SUV) and it would bottom out big time, and they did not seem to be as hot!!

Maybe I will try some exhaust wrap in that area when I remove the exhaust for a Decat. :mellow:

• Member Contributer

All of our V4 bikes have shocks near the rear exhaust down pipes... you got a new shock that is probably dampening better than the stock shock and this generates a lot of heat... way more than the heat soak from the exhaust pipes. Wrapping the the pipes will help retain heat in the pipes and help keep the under seat heat down but I believe your shock will still get hot when ridden enthusiastically...

Are you adjusting the dampening too high and generating extra heat from the friction?

VFR 1200 has a few heat shields preventing the rear shock from heat - never ever noticed my rear shock to be hot - warm a bit but at most.

Plus the shock is inside the swingam and the rear headers are outside on the right side. Not sure whats going on with your setup but this is more likely

shock related problem.

Well I must say I was backing of the dampening when I noticed it, was probably a bit tight.

I had just ridden fairly enthusiastically over 80ks of terrible roads. I will check next ride. :cool:

• Member Contributer

The main is right, it's the exhaust heat. My 5th gen used to get very hot & get a bit soft in the rear. I made a double skin thin alloy heat shield & even when riding some gorges in Spain last year in 30c heat the shock never got to hot to touch & the damping stayed good.

The shield is covered in one of my refresh threads.

M I have to agree.

Have been for a short ride on the Highway quite smooth and the shock was really hot, (32deg C) no way I could hold my hand on it.

Honda has two heat shields on the exhaust so they knew it was an issue.

Will see what I can do over the existing shields, experimental you understand. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I have ceramic coated headers wrapped in exhaust wrap sealed with high temp silicone paint and I can put my hand right next to the headers without burning... the shock still gets pretty warm just from the action of the shock and the oil forced through the valves.

I have ceramic coated headers wrapped in exhaust wrap sealed with high temp silicone paint and I can put my hand right next to the headers without burning... the shock still gets pretty warm

As I've posted before - the heat is more likely produced by shock itself. Since he has aftermarket shock i would contact the supplier and ask for a normal operating temp range.

I have just replaced my rear shock.

http://www.fgspecialparts.it/en/product_details.asp?maker=FG&code=H0M062FQEECO&model=HONDA%20VFR%201200%20F&year=2013&product=

I have been adjusting it while on road and have been surprised at the heat.

Surely this would not be helping the performance???? :ohmy:

The exhaust is so close and the shock gets to hot to touch?

Need a heat shield maybe.. Any thoughts ????????????

Sure, there's dirt bike shock bags that could go on there with a velcro wrap, or fab something yourself from there...

Scientific: get a laser thermom. and record some readings. Ask the manufacturer yet? Way to check the oil?

Dave that’s good to know. I have emailed the supplier not had a reply yet.

I really think it was the extremely bad road plus the temp on the day 34c (93F) that made it so hot to the touch.

I found some old exhaust rapping that has been lying around the workshop for 8 years, so not in great condition but good enough for a try, stuck some wire through it for a real temporary cover and went for a blast.

Noticeable drop in heat. So I’m happy now.

Here is an easy way to confirm you guys theories, let the bike run for a while but don't ride it. See how hot the shock gets from external exhaust heating alone, versus internal friction heating plus the external exhaust/engine heat.

• Member Contributer

Back in the 90's, Suzuki put a "rotation" rear shock on the TL1000S.

20026d1143133541-tlr-swingarm-tls-showa-

From what I recall as what was said at the time, it was not a success due to (over)heat.

• Member Contributer

Then park it at the top of a big hill & freewheel down, check the temp of shock at top & bottom :)

Back in the 90's, Suzuki put a "rotation" rear shock on the TL1000S.

20026d1143133541-tlr-swingarm-tls-showa-

From what I recall as what was said at the time, it was not a success due to (over)heat.

Great bike with some stupid ideas - of course R model. Good read appeared some time ago:

http://www.bikerchris.co.uk/tlzone/Practica_Sportsbikes_Rotary_Damper_Info_Nov_2013.pdf

• Member Contributer

Here is an easy way to confirm you guys theories, let the bike run for a while but don't ride it. See how hot the shock gets from external friction heating alone, versus internal heating plus the external exhaust/engine heat.

Not quite the same air flow and heat exchange... but I see what you're getting at

Then park it at the top of a big hill & freewheel down, check the temp of shock at top & bottom :)

Good idea... although, wouldn't replicate the heat generated from dampening during acceleration...

I agree, your natural heat across the pond probably doesnt help. When i gave her a thrashing yesterday it was on 10 centigrade here in sunny (joke) England...

I think the OP is across a couple of ponds from you... they're in OZ :goofy:

Yay! I figured out how to multi-quote :D

The race type shocks(as it seems what he have) runs with a bit higher temp spec - I recommended asking the supplier for the normal operating temp range...no reaction...

First ask the supplier - then grab the pyrometer and check how hot are you running.

i just rode about 100 miles at around 55-60 F.....shock was just barely warm to the touch...but i know my bike does get hot down there in the summer...there is another post about this but to save you searching here's a pic of how i vented my Ohlins remote bracket

post-23916-0-93319800-1428260094.jpg

I agree, your natural heat across the pond probably doesnt help. When i gave her a thrashing yesterday it was on 10 centigrade here in sunny (joke) England...

Ha ha, Dave I kid you not, the heat that comes off the Black Top on the 35+ C days here is unbelievable.

I recall a ride with the Wife on the back a couple of years ago at 43+ C the Black Top was melting, scary saving the front sliding on melting bitumen….

Archived