Won't Start!

CYCLEKNIGHT

Put new battery in my 6th gen to start riding season went about 60 plus miles and stop for restroom break. Tried to start with no luck and got jump form a passer by, maybe not a goood idea(car), went on to my destination race day at Texas World Speedway(the old retiring one). Got there cut her off and back on she started right up ok maybe just a fluke with new plus bike been sitting since last November. Got ready to leave later that day and nothing got and jump/charge this time from one of the track time techs ran at idle for awhile and dies again!!!! Tech said it maybe my "stator" so he set my idle higher than usual and don't turn it off keep it running!!! Ran it back home, 130 miles without stopping!!!! Anyone ever had this issue, please help?

• Member Contributer

I had that problem a couple years ago. My stator went out. Any motorcycle technician can easily pinpoint the problem and won't charge you a diagnosis fee if you get the bike fixed there. It cost me almost $600 (parts + labor). It was a genuine Honda stator and I personally don't recommend anything other than genuine Honda parts. The mechanic was also a Honda certified technician.

There's nothing wrong with jump starting a bike with a car. Just make sure the car's engine is shut off.

• Member Contributer

I know you guys are trying to be helpful, but replacing parts before checking all the usual suspects is not best practice in solving problems.

As Yoshi says, start with the obvious (free) checks. Clean & retighten the battery terminals and check all the connectors in the charging circuit. Don't forget the starter relay connections.

• Member Contributer

Are your battery terminals tight? Kind of sounds like they are a little bit loose. And you did just replace it.

Also, if you have electrical ad ons such as a battery tender plug etc, those terminals should be on top of the battery cable terminals. Battery cables make contact with the battery posts first then the ad on terminals on top. If that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled fairings for connection inspections and low and behold wiring connection at stator/rr point fried/melted!!!!! Pulled all damaged parts currently assessing prices and locations. Big question to all the routeing of the stator harness through the motor, I cut the stator end and just pulled it through after frustration(tank,air box etc). Any suggestions!!!!

• Member Contributer

If the bike has enough miles to have cooked the stator connector, while you have it apart, IMO it would be worth inspecting the stator's condition. My 6th gen's was BBQ'd at 18k miles. Rather than use a new OEM connector, you can hard wire the stator and R/R together. Tightwad (wiremybike.com) makes a small kit for that if you want. It will also make it easier to pull the wire across from the stator if there's not a connector on it. If you have Custom Rewind re-work your stator, you can request extra wiring length to make hard wiring a bit easier. Using some Oxgard on connectors will also help alleviate some of these problems.

Archived