How Much Should I Sell My Vfr For?

napcool

The last wrecked 5th gen I bought in Georgia I paid $550 for. It had a Corbin seat, rear luggage rack, and Gold Valves in the forks. Fairings were trashed like yours and forks were slightly bent.

• Member Contributer

Assuming the forks and frame are not bent, around $750- $1000. If they are then you arent going to get much more than a few hundred. At that point it would appeal to someone that was looking for a replacement engine.

Whats the mileage on the engine?

Sorry to hear about the accident...

In this situation, I would normally try to assess what the individual, salvageable parts are worth by themselves. Throw a 35-40% discount at it, and sell it as a whole.

Tank, wheels/tires, battery, engine, seat, grab handles, dash cluster, bars, brake calipers, etc.

Here is what my mechanic, Brad from MSP cycles had to say about the forks and frames.

' The forks are misaligned right now but that doesn't mean that they are bent or not. The would have to be checked off the bike or using a crude method on the bike. Either is time consuming. I doubt the frame is damaged as the forks are usually the weak link when taking impacts.'

Brad from MSP cycles has been very helpful in the whole process.

The mileage is hard to say because of the damage. But last checked it was around 32500 miles

• Member Contributer

Well I am certainly sorry to hear about your accident. This would have been exactly the type of bike that I was looking for last year before I found the Y2K that I bought. I would have offered $500 being the cheap a$$ that I am, and maybe settled at no more than $700.

If you do end up parting it out, I might be interested in the rear wheel. Could always use a spare!

• Member Contributer

It is sad to hear about your wreck on a 5th gen, best wishes to you

What year is it? ---- If you decide to part it, plz PM me. There a few bits I would be interested in.

• Member Contributer

I sincerely hope you're ok.

In situations like that it's often just finding the right buyer. I seem to recall someone on here whose 5th gen was hit from behind - as one example. If it's a '98 or '99 (it's difficult to tell from the photos), someone on here would most likely scoop up the headers. If it's a 2001 probably not so much. There are definitely some desirable parts still on it.

I just want to thank everyone for the support and concern for my health. The incident happend a while back and I even posted about it.( http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79764-blessed-to-be-alive/#entry976944 )

To answer a few queries;

Its a 98' VFR that ran smoothly.

The dashboard, gauge and handle is wrecked that is to name a few. I do have an estimate from the mechanic to restore the Motorcycle the best that he can to its original state.

The best option I think is to either make it a naked bike or sell it for parts. I am neither an expert nor am I skillful. But I am willing to learn and break down the parts if someone in the atlanta region is wanting to help.

I posted the ad on craigslist but will give people in this forum the first priority to buy the bike. PM me

• 3 weeks later...

I sincerely hope you're ok.

In situations like that it's often just finding the right buyer. I seem to recall someone on here whose 5th gen was hit from behind - as one example. If it's a '98 or '99 (it's difficult to tell from the photos), someone on here would most likely scoop up the headers. If it's a 2001 probably not so much. There are definitely some desirable parts still on it.

Genuine question here, im quote new to vfr's.

Why would people want the 98-99 headers but not the 01? Arent the 01 headers stainless, and the earlier bikes mild steel?

I thought stainless was better? Haha

Why would people want the 98-99 headers but not the 01? Arent the 01 headers stainless, and the earlier bikes mild steel?

98-99 don't have a cat in them like the 2000 and up, so a little less restrictive.

98-99 don't have a cat in them like the 2000 and up, so a little less restrictive.

Ahh right okay (:

Thankyou (:

• Member Contributer

I could definitely feel an improvement in the engine smoothness and throttle response after replacing the headers with the '98-'99, same exhaust.

Archived