2000 800 Fiy....strange Problem. Am I The First Guy To Blow A Vfr Up?

stoneman

First of all hello to everyone on here..Choose this site out of the rest as it seemed the most informative.

Well to the issue concerned,i bought this bike last july 14,it had covered 63,000 miles,it now has 65,000. It came with plenty of service history,and had a major one the year i bought it including valve check.

A few weeks ago i replaced the battery it had a yuasa,because it was sounding a bit weak,so i replaced it with exactly the same.

Did a 100 mile run and it was fine,then left it for two weeks in around zero degrees temperatures.It started fine and rode back 100 miles again,ran fine.

The next day i went out and got caught out in a snow storm and the bike slid and and went down at about 20mph,only damage was top fairing and minor scuffing,strangely i rode it back to my house about 10 miles and it ran fine,a few days later it started but cut out when i put it into gear.I then noticed the sidestand switch was damaged,so i replaced it and it works fine,but i don't know why it still ran back like it :wacko:

Anyway after a week i decided to start it and there was a lot of brown/black smoke from the exhaust when revved,smelt very strong,but was running.

About a week later the battery was flat so i took the old yuasa battery out and tried it,it turned over but it fired up but sounded like it was only firing on two cylinders,and then a splatter of black oil drops came out of the exhaust.

I then took the battery of my ntv as it was fresher,and the bike just spun over but no firing at all,so i took the plugs out and they were all black and wet,so i cleaned them put them back in and theres a spark,but it just won't start now.So theres fuel and a spark,but don't really where to start,maybe a compression test?

most likely a combination of little problems. The smoke / oil may be from oil seeping past the rings while it was on it's side. the oil gathers in the airbox and seeps back in during combustion.

+1 on the crankcase oil getting into the cylinders when you crashed. Your engine's "tilt" kill switch should have mostly prevented such from happening, but maybe it did not quite cut out the engine quick enough and enough oil got pumped past the rings into the cylinders to cause fouling.

Check your plugs again to see if they are oily and black, if they are, that's why your engine stopped running all together as they are fouled.

Just change them over to new ones and see how it goes. It would be the first step I'd do to fix the bike.

• Member Contributer

My first guess is that it's an electrical issue. Likely an old bike and being used in damp and cold conditions.

But if it spins and there is spark then maybe it's just flooded.

What year is the VFR?

I might be the second if you are the first. Mine has had cooling issues since new. I think last summer it finally popped a head gasket in a traffic jam. Only has 30k on it.I've started tearing it down stopped just shy of removing the forward frame from the engine to do a little more research.

Its a 2000 model,just took the airbox lid off and there's no oil in there,and the air filter just looks like the same when i fitted it new last year,i'm tempted to try some new plugs first,i only just checked the charging a few weeks ago and it was fine.

Received the new plugs and had it fired up but sounding rough,and it cut out left it for a few minutes and it fired up and ran fairly well,although the revs were a bit slow to return,so i'm pretty certain that its a fuelling issue,either gummed up injectors and/or leaking seals and maybe the fuel pressure regulator.

• 1 month later...

Well just an update had all the injectors cleaned professionally including new seals,also fitted a new fuel pressure regulator,it started a bit rough then ran fine for about 10 minutes,then it started to run rough again,smells very strong of fuel,now won't rev and it just ticks over on what sounds like on two cylinders!No fi light on the dash when bike running,its starting to get head scratchy time!

• Member Contributer

Have you checked for spark on all cylinders?

• 1 month later...

yes its sparking i've replaced all the plugs again,took it up the road and it seems to be running ok,pulls strongly,can't go any further because the nose cone is still at the repairers,two months i've been waiting!!!

• Forum CEO

Im guessing here but it sounds like perhaps a vucuum tube has come off either the Map sensor or perhaps the fuel regulator. Maybe during the fall over? Sounds like a similar issue I had when I had mine throttle bodies off after I replaced a thermostat, I had a crack in the vac tube on the map sensor, cut it off an replaced that and then it ran fine. Most likely the fuel pressure regulator for you with the smell of fuel, the bell shaped device on the throttle body with a vacuum hose connected to it, or at least it should be connected. There are also some vac hoses on the bottom of the airbox that might not be connected going to the starter valves, starter valves control idle.

fitted a brand new fuel regulator,when i re-fitted the t/bodies,i'll check the pipes again,but one thing i did notice when it was idling at about 2500rpm i sprayed some wd40 towards the starter valves and the revs dropped as if by magic,seems to be idling ok

• 2 weeks later...

Well she's back on the road,the nose fairing is back on,sailed through the mot, so took it for a 50 miler and seems to be running really well,pulls stronger than before,thanks for all your help and advice :beer:

Archived