Bi-Xenon Hid Projector Retrofit

Volfy

I've been wanting to do this mod for quite a while now and finally got around to it. I had previous converted the low beam to HID. While it helped to throw more light out front, the beam pattern from the OEM reflector was not great. Honda "stole" some of the light output to fill the two side auxiliary reflectors flanking the center main bucket. My guess is they are meant to act as position lights. The worst part that needed fixing... is the single low beam headlight. You lose the low beam on the VFR1200 on the road at night, you are flying blind... and become virtually invisible to other motorists. For a sport touring bike, the absolutely minimum should be 2 low beams.

The kit is Retrofit Source's Mini H1 Bi-xenon projector. Mine is the older 5.0, whereas the newest is 6.0. Not much difference from what I can tell. The Mini H1 project is sized to fits the hi beam bucket very well. Ideally, I would want the largest projector, as size does matter in lighting. Plus, a projector that fills the space just looks better. Install procedure is straightforward and generic instruction videos are everywhere on youtube, so I won't bother with the details. Quality of the kit itself is excellent and comes with everything you'd need to do the retrofit. You do have have get an HID H1 bulb and ballast of your choice, as well as any wiring harness you might want to use. I prefer 4300K color temp for the bulb, as it has the highest lumens output. It also is the closest to daylight, so doesn't look retarded blue like higher color temps. I build my own wiring harness using a quality Bosch 30A relay.

IMG_0818_zpskxjxtog2.jpg

IMG_0819_zpsblkkdkkq.jpg

IMG_0822_zpslnnuwycs.jpg

IMG_0825_zpsrgshcvtc.jpg

I did have to trim the bottom lip of the lens bezel a bit for the coil assembly to fit over. As this is a non functioning part of the reflector, and that this conversion is not reversible, I have no problem with cutting it.

IMG_0828_zpssalwx3ms.jpg

K7__3285_zpsffcihmcv.jpg

K7__3286_zpspthpnvhf.jpg

Low beam of the bi-xenon projector.

K7__3299_zpsby9rcziz.jpg

High beam of the bi-xenon projector.

K7__3300_zps1rnrf2uj.jpg

K7__3304_zpsukohrb7t.jpg

K7__3306_zpskeomyrsb.jpg

OEM Low beam bucket with 4300k H1 bulb on 35w digital AC ballast. Okay beam pattern without a well-defined horizontal cut off. Wasn't much better with halogen bulb.

K7__3317_zpslzrcankg.jpg

OEM low beam blocked off... bi-xenon low beam ON (4300k H1 bulb on same 35w digital AC balast). I did not set the white balance or the exposure of these 3 shots the same, so good for beam pattern comparison only.

K7__3316_zpsawlwxtcg.jpg

OEM low beam and bi-xenon low beam combined. they did not line up vertically as well as I would have liked, but close enough to work well on the road.

K7__3315_zpsky7kfh0n.jpg

• Member Contributer

That looks great and a mod that I must admit I'm considering for my new 1200, though I lack the skills especially for making my own wiring harness. I was considering fitting a bi-xenon bulb conversion from HID City. I spoke with them at the MCN Bike show last week and the salesman said that there's no need for any reflector modification because the light source is in the same place as an incandescent bulb. But I guess he was assuming that the oem reflector did a decent job with the light spread whereas your experience doesn't seem to support this. Still, is the output increase worth it, even if it isn't spread as well as it could be?

Is there any vertical adjustment for the new low beam?

The other option I thought about for increasing conspicuity was fitting brighter LEDs into the mirrors. Don't know if anyone has tried this.

Skids, the HID conversion for the OEM low beam is definitely worth it. I wouldn't think of doing away with my low beam HID conversion. The improvement just isn't as dramatic as the retrofit projector. Yes, the OEM reflector has a lot to do with how well the conversion works. Generally, if the stock beam pattern is so-so, the conversion won't make things much better. The millions of poorly done HID conversion on the road blinding and irking other drivers is the testament to that.

As for vertical adjustment... the retrofit projector installs with a big thick silicone spacer between the OEM reflector base and the projector, so I'm pretty sure there is enough wiggle room to shim it pointing more up or down. I briefly hooked up the bulbs to test the alignment before I re-installed the front lens. It was close enough that I didn't bother trying to shim the project up. Once you get the headlamp put back on the bike, the factory adjustment screws will move both beams.

I have fitted LEDs into mirror position lights on other bikes, but not the VFR1200. Wouldn't be difficult though. I might get around to playing with that later.

BTW, you can find pre-fabbed wiring harness all over ebay. Just do a search for "HID wiring harness" or something similar. I build my own wiring harness mostly because I must have done over 20 HID conversions of various kinds by now, not to count all the other mobile electronics (audio, alarm, etc.) I've installed over the yrs, so I have a whole stash of parts. I prefer to build custom harness so the wires are the exact length required and the components are exactly where I want them. This is particularly challenging with bikes like the VFR1200, with very little room inside the fairing and around the headlight to stash stuff.

• Member Contributer

Volfy, thanks for that.

I think I'll give HID City a try with my 6th Gen as that is the bike I ride mostly in the dark (winter) and see how the lights are on the 1200 before I decide anything.

• Member Contributer

Just spoke with a guy from HID City and he's sending me 2 x H7 kits and I'm only paying for 1 up front in case it doesn't work out. I was concerned about paying out over £100 for something I'm not sure will work to my satisfaction or not. I'll pay him for the 2nd if it does or he'll refund if it doesn't. I thought that was pretty good customer service.

Ordered the 5k bulbs. Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow and I'll get a chance to fit them this weekend. Will post pics if I can.

• Member Contributer

Very nice install--looks OEM. I've had very good service from Retrofit Source for many years. They sell quality parts.

I was considering fitting a bi-xenon bulb conversion from HID City. I spoke with them at the MCN Bike show last week and the salesman said that there's no need for any reflector modification because the light source is in the same place as an incandescent bulb.

Ahem. This is total BS. And totally to be expected from a company selling only...HID conversion kits!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Very nice install--looks OEM. I've had very good service from Retrofit Source for many years. They sell quality parts.

I was considering fitting a bi-xenon bulb conversion from HID City. I spoke with them at the MCN Bike show last week and the salesman said that there's no need for any reflector modification because the light source is in the same place as an incandescent bulb.

Ahem. This is total BS. And totally to be expected from a company selling only...HID conversion kits!

Ciao,

Ok, well at least I got the kit on a return basis so I'll let you know how I get on.

Sorry for the thread drift.

If you are planning to do HID conversions for both the OEM low and high beam, here are a few things to consider:

1. HID conversion for the high beam is general not a good idea. Most - if not all - HID systems take some time to achieve full brightness. The latest ballast designs are better, but it still takes a minimum of a few seconds to get bright enough to be useful. Most applications of high beam are short duration in nature, so the high beam may not get bright enough before you need to turn it off already. Unless you ride out in the middle of nowhere to next to no oncoming traffic, I would not recommend doing it.

2. THe VFR1200 low beam reflector curves over the top all the way to the tip of the bulb. This is not a problem with H7 halogen bulbs, but H7 HID bulbs are typically longer and the tip of it WILL hit the reflector. Most of us either shim the HID bulb base further back, or (like I do) shim the bulb base to tilt the bult just enough to clear reflector tip. You can see this in one of the pics I posted in the first post of this thread (second from last pic). I used some gasket material I had lying around. You can use anything that won't melt from the heat of the HID bulb, which is not as hot as halogen, but it does get a bit hot.

3. Make sure you order slim ballasts. As I said, there is not a whole lot of room around the headlamp to hid things. Big brick of a ballast will be tough to find home.

Thanks. I really wanted to keep it looking like how it should have come from the factory. A lot of guys like to add LEDs, halo rings, or paint the reflector black, but I prefer to keep it simple. Most OEM projector headlights have this "jewel" look, which I like a lot.

• Member Contributer

Wasn't planning to do both high & low....that's be 4 x H7 conversions on my 6th Gen which would be a bit too pricey. Low beam is the important one.

I'll bear in mind your advice if I decide to do my 7th Gen. :beer:

• Member Contributer

2 x kits arrived today so hopefully, after I've been to my dealer to pay for the 1200 I'll have time to fit one of them and see how it compares to oem tomorrow evening in the dark. If it looks good, then I'll fit the 2nd on Sunday and try to remember to pay the man for it!

If someone wants to try this and save your original headlight, I have spare OEM headlight, pm me. Original Honda, not Chinese crap. I was Planning to do this project over this winter but decided to scrap it in favor of some needed suspension work on my Aprilia.

• Member Contributer

Shall pop out shortly and try to fit one of these then do a comparison between it & OEM.

P1000777_zpsytgpt7vs.jpg

• Member Contributer

Continued apologies for any thread drift (7th to 6th Gen etc) but I just popped the first bulb in to see what the output difference looked like. I removed the front fairing for better access as the ballast and igniter take up some space and I haven't decided yet where to put them and shall wait until I've checked the beam patterns. Anyway, took less than 5 mins to swap bulbs over and this was the result.

P1000782_zpsecozesek.jpg

Can you tell which is the oem bulb? :goofy:

Now waiting until it goes dark to wheel the bike out and check the beam pattern against the oem.

• Member Contributer

So, I checked it out in the dark outside.

First shot is both bulbs low beam (left low is new HID Xenon, right low is oem incandescent). Doesn't seem to be any significant spillover from the Xenon.

P1000783_zpsvtvzuyaf.jpg

The second is the left low beam (HID Xenon by itself).

P1000785_zps7nw3bbws.jpg

The 3rd is the right low beam alone (oem).

P1000784_zpszbfghneh.jpg

Whilst it's not as neat a pattern as oem and there is definitely some stray light in the Xenon, it's below the cutoff so should probably add to the overall illumination. I think it looks good enough to try out the 2nd bulb and look at them both together.

Skids, the HID pattern looks about as close to original halogen as you can expect. The small amount of scattered light is fine as long as it's below horizontal cutoff. The beam will appear brighter to oncoming traffic simple because there is more lumens output compared to halogen, even if the pattern is precisely the same, so it will be your judgement call whether you think it's permissible. Looks fine to me from the pics.

BTW, I rode last night to check out the projector, and all I can say is... wow. The very wide and even beam works almost like the excellent Hella foglights I've had before.. The horizontal cut off is very sharp, more so than some factory HID projectors I've had. I'm gonna test with 55w slim ballast just to see.

• Member Contributer

Wow - this looks like it came from the factory that way. Outstanding job! The improved visibility should be a big benefit.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Skids, the HID pattern looks about as close to original halogen as you can expect. The small amount of scattered light is fine as long as it's below horizontal cutoff. The beam will appear brighter to oncoming traffic simple because there is more lumens output compared to halogen, even if the pattern is precisely the same, so it will be your judgement call whether you think it's permissible. Looks fine to me from the pics.

BTW, I rode last night to check out the projector, and all I can say is... wow. The very wide and even beam works almost like the excellent Hella foglights I've had before.. The horizontal cut off is very sharp, more so than some factory HID projectors I've had. I'm gonna test with 55w slim ballast just to see.

I can imagine how good it is.

I'll fit the 2nd bulb today and then look for where to mount the ballast & ignite then check it out tonight.

• Member Contributer

Fitted and re-fitted the front fairing. There's plenty of room for the ballast & ignite down & to the side in the front fairing. I used sticky Velcro to hold them both to the side after cleaning the plastic.

Unfortunately it's peeing it down and blowing a gale so I'm not going outside but I took a couple of shots in the garage. The camera doesn't do them justice....they are really bright and you can see the significant difference between them and the Nightbreaker Plus high beam bulbs.

P1000790_zpsfdrjweuq.jpg

The camera shows a lot more glare than there actually is. I might go to work on her tomorrow morning and see how many flashes I get from car drivers.

P1000792_zpsvmijqqqm.jpg

:cool::beer: Volfy, great mod and good write up. there are three kits listed under the link you gave us. Looks like good, better, best. Did you use the basic light kit or one of the upgrades?

Would love to do this as my old eyes need all the help they can get at night but I am in the middle of a frame up restoration on my Suzuki GS 1150E this winter. Maybe next summer for this one.

Archived