Bi-Xenon Hid Projector Retrofit

Volfy

John, this is the link I listed in the first post:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/projectors/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-h1-6-0-projectors.html#.VOzyefnF_uN

It is only for the projector, which has 2 options: LHD or RHD (click on the drop down list). Here in NA, you would want the LHD, which has the "kick-up" to the right, so as not to blind oncoming traffic to the left. Skids, and those in UK and other parts that drive on the wrong side of the road, would want the RHD. :happy: You can see the kick-up is to the left in his pics. There are also choices of shrouds, depending on your preference. Mine is the mini gatlin gun, I think.

I think you might be looking at the " Customers also purchased" items down below. Those might be related but not necessarily what you'd need or want.

The Morimoto Mini H1 kit is very popular, because it is pretty much a bolt on fit in H7 and H4 bulb sockets. The kit comes with adapter plates for either. Fit in other bulb types are possible, but some mods may be required. There are other retrofit projectors that puts out more light or have better beam patterns, but most will require surgery to the OEM reflector and/or housing.

Anyhow, as I said, you'll need to pick out the bulb of your choice (H1 for this kit). And the ballast. The retrofitsource carry some outstanding quality stuff. If you are unfamiliar with the various types and brands, going with TRS stuff is a good idea. I have a sizable stash of bulbs and ballasts from swimming with the ebay sharks (and have the bite marks to show for it :goofy:) so I usually just try those first.

The mod is really not a high degree of difficulty. Most folks just are naturally afraid of putting $500 headlamps into the oven. :wink: I was too at first. Once you get over that and get comfortable with the idea, the rest get much easier.

Skids, those quad lamps are the Schnitzels! I bet if you ever do bi-xenon retrofit projects on your 2 high beams, and turn them all ON, you'll have DAYLIGHT. Envy city here... :smile2:

• Member Contributer

Skids, those quad lamps are the Schnitzels! I bet if you ever do bi-xenon retrofit projects on your 2 high beams, and turn them all ON, you'll have DAYLIGHT. Envy city here... :smile2:

The 6th gen has always had outstanding lighting, even with stock bulbs but I've always striven to stand out from the increasing number of lights...New cars over here ask have day running lights so it's increasingly difficult to stop blending in so I thought I'd try to do a little more about it.

I'm away from home at the moment at a conference so I haven't had the chance to try the bike in the dark and against other road users to see if there's any adverse effect of fitting them.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Volfy, very interesting thing you did there !

any difference between the mini H1 6.0 and mini D2s the specific motorcycle Bi-xenon sportbike stage 1 single( http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/motorcycle-kits/motorcycle-stage-3-kit-single-headlight.html#.VRYSd-7F-SE)

• Member Contributer

An update on mine; been riding it now for a couple of weeks with the replacement HID-Xenon bulbs in the standard reflector and I've had no flashes from oncoming drivers. I've ended a few journeys in the dark and the beam pattern is great, in fact it's so good that I hardly notice the high beam coming on and I have Nightbreaker+ bulbs in the high beams!

The bulbs weren't cheap but they are so white and as long as they last then imo they're worth it. I've had a lot of drivers move out of my way voluntarily and I'm doing nothing different in my riding so I can only assume they're seeing the lights more than usual.

• Member Contributer

Great thread. Haven't ridden the VFR12 beyond dusk so I haven't been able to gauge the lights at night, but I can't see how they could be worse than my previous bike, an '06 Sprint ST. The projector cut off on the Sprint left the road completely black when at a lean. I just figured Honda's flagship model would have good light throw.

- Dan

• Member Contributer

Any video ? ^^^^

Was that aimed at me m8?

Sorry but I don't have any on-board video capability but I'm happy enough to have spent over £100 on 2 headlamp bulbs and don't regret it at all.

There are probably better solutions, like Volfy, the OP, with a projector lens as well but that is beyond my limited mechanical abilities so this is a great solution for me. It works well on the 6th Gen because all 4 bulbs are H7 so the low beams are on permanently so their few second warm up period is done when I start the bike. After that, if I need high beam, it's instantaneous because they are standard incandescent bulbs, albeit 90%+ (according to their marketing department) better than OEM. If it was the 5th Gen, with 2 H4 bulbs, it would be a different story.

Once I've worked my way around the 1200 and am happy to remove panels etc, I'll fit one of these bulbs too.

• Member Contributer

Any video ? ^^^^

Was that aimed at me m8?

Sorry but I don't have any on-board video capability but I'm happy enough to have spent over £100 on 2 headlamp bulbs and don't regret it at all.

There are probably better solutions, like Volfy, the OP, with a projector lens as well but that is beyond my limited mechanical abilities so this is a great solution for me. It works well on the 6th Gen because all 4 bulbs are H7 so the low beams are on permanently so their few second warm up period is done when I start the bike. After that, if I need high beam, it's instantaneous because they are standard incandescent bulbs, albeit 90%+ (according to their marketing department) better than OEM. If it was the 5th Gen, with 2 H4 bulbs, it would be a different story.

Once I've worked my way around the 1200 and am happy to remove panels etc, I'll fit one of these bulbs too.

I know it's a bit off topic, but the LED H4 bulbs are truly instantaneous. Hard to believe you could notice a difference, but it's there going between low and high.

Maybe pick up some H7 LEDs for your high beams? Keep everything that nice white color!

any difference between the mini H1 6.0 and mini D2s the specific motorcycle Bi-xenon sportbike stage 1 single( http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/motorcycle-kits/motorcycle-stage-3-kit-single-headlight.html#.VRYSd-7F-SE)

The Mini H1 6.0 should be very similar to mine (5.0) and supposedly has better optics. The mini D2S looks to be a bit larger in size overall, so I'm not sure would fit the VFR1200 like mine. Plus the D2S bulb has a lump on the back so you'll have to make sure you can fit it inside the rear cover of the headlight assembly. On mine, the H1 HID bulb *just* fit. One more note... the Mini D2S lists H4 as the only "no-mod" install, whereas the Mini H1 comes with adapters for both H4 and H7, which is what the VFR1200 bulbs are. Drop in fit.

Optics-wise, if you can fit the Mini D2S in, the larger lens could possibly perform better. The D2S bulb is a native HID bulb, unlike all the H1, H4, H7, H11, etc., which are build with parts from bulbs like the D2S.

As far as highbeam goes, I'm not too particular about how it performs, since it only gets used probably 0.01% of the time I ride. The low beam is where I need great lighting. The sharp cutoff is somewhat bothersome on bikes leaned into the turn, but I've just gotten used to it. I do like the broad coverage of the HID conversion on my low beam, which takes care of the cornering concerns. The bixenon projector has a sharp cutoff, but the beam pattern below the cutoff is much brighter. Plus, if there are no on-coming traffic, I can always flip on the highbeam and -VOILA - no cutoff.

If the video comment is directed at me, I'll see about posting one. I'm pretty much decided to switch to 55w ballast on the bixenon. Might as well go wholehog if I've gone this far. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Any video ? ^^^^

Was that aimed at me m8?

I know it's a bit off topic, but the LED H4 bulbs are truly instantaneous. Hard to believe you could notice a difference, but it's there going between low and high.

Maybe pick up some H7 LEDs for your high beams? Keep everything that nice white color!

Good idea Kev.

The Mini H1 6.0 should be very similar to mine (5.0) and supposedly has better optics. The mini D2S looks to be a bit larger in size overall, so I'm not sure would fit the VFR1200 like mine. Plus the D2S bulb has a lump on the back so you'll have to make sure you can fit it inside the rear cover of the headlight assembly. On mine, the H1 HID bulb *just* fit. One more note... the Mini D2S lists H4 as the only "no-mod" install, whereas the Mini H1 comes with adapters for both H4 and H7, which is what the VFR1200 bulbs are. Drop in fit.

Optics-wise, if you can fit the Mini D2S in, the larger lens could possibly perform better. The D2S bulb is a native HID bulb, unlike all the H1, H4, H7, H11, etc., which are build with parts from bulbs like the D2S.

As far as highbeam goes, I'm not too particular about how it performs, since it only gets used probably 0.01% of the time I ride. The low beam is where I need great lighting. The sharp cutoff is somewhat bothersome on bikes leaned into the turn, but I've just gotten used to it. I do like the broad coverage of the HID conversion on my low beam, which takes care of the cornering concerns. The bixenon projector has a sharp cutoff, but the beam pattern below the cutoff is much brighter. Plus, if there are no on-coming traffic, I can always flip on the highbeam and -VOILA - no cutoff.

If the video comment is directed at me, I'll see about posting one. I'm pretty much decided to switch to 55w ballast on the bixenon. Might as well go wholehog if I've gone this far. :cool:

Thanks ..

• Member Contributer

Yeah I thought of that but having tried them in my 5th Gen before she was retired, the light source on LEDs just doesn't seem compatible with the reflector so the beam pattern is poor. That's the beauty of the HID-Xenon, it's a 360 degree light source.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Spoke with a salesman from HID-City about the bulb length issues on the 7th Gen and he said they had a shorter bulb available. It's only a few mm shorter but I bought it anyway as it may mean I don't need to shim it as much.

When the gasket material arrives, I'll try fitting it.

Sounds great Skids. That'd really help. Having to shim the bulb base is really a PITN. Plus it'll help keep the point light source close to the ideal spot.

BTW, regarding the instant ON issue mentioned above, that's why I went with the bixenon projector. The bulb is lit all the time. High beam switch only lifts the shield plate, so it is practically instantaneous.

• Member Contributer

Separate hi & lo bulbs so only planning to replace the lo beam. It's on permanently so apart from initial warm up when I turn the bike on, it's stays fully bright throughout.

I found *just* enough room for my ballasts inside the right hand fairing. Thought I had pics - but I can't find 'em...

Thread here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72271-55w-hids-installed/

Still using the 55W HIDs. I still don't get complaints. I *am* conspicuous to oncoming traffic. People are less inclined to turn in front of me than my halogen lit bikes.

The 55W were obnoxious on the Duc 848 with projectors. I replaced them with 35W. Better now.

My only complaint is bugs must love this light frequency. The big Viffer gets coated with them. The other bikes? Less so...

Good luck!

ß!

• Member Contributer

Had a look around the back of the headlight today.....there's not much room. Took the oem bulb out and tried my new (short) HiD-Xenon bulb and it just catches the lens so it does need shimming. But even worse, I'm not sure how I'm going to sort the wiring and placing of the ballast and igniter, especially with that weather shield to run wires through. It's far too cramped to be able to see anything useful so I think it will have to wait until I can take the whole front fairing off the bike including the headlamps, and see how best to fit it all.

Does anyone know of a good (ie easy) guide to removing the front including headlamps so I can access the back of the headlamps?

• 7 months later...

Cool.

I thought about doing that, but the reflector bowl would need to be modified. I was also concerned the front "eyelid" might block some of the beam pattern. Was this not in your case?

Volfy I thought the same thing but when I was testing the lights I've noticed that the pattern that's projected on the light housing makes an unique U pattern so the eyelid is only blocking about 10% of the projected light hers a pic e2855605b90f8d432f1564a96b596959.jpgd04655b85249bb4d74880a2c206fcf8f.jpg01665318a5d3ae8faafe0509b633d847.jpg7422e8cb727b6351a63e5e686fa34bb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Not sure if you can see the U pattern in the last pic. I Bought the 3m 1080 vinyl wrap off ebay for about $20 (5ftx2ft), it took my gf about 5 mins to do it

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Archived