New Balls On The '97 Wow!

burnes45

• Member Contributer

Just got back from a ride after installing new 'All Balls bearings' on my '97. Had the bike about a year and knew they needed replaced but just got time today. Wow what a difference, it feels 100 lbs. lighter in the turns and just responds like a different motorcycle all together. All most didn't buy this bike on my first test drive the PO did not have the tires inflated to proper PSI they were very low. Felt like it weight 900lbs. about fell over trying to turn out of his driveway thought this is not a good idea. The bike I was coming off of was a FT500 Ascot, a single cylinder 500cc thumper. I had herd so many good things about these bikes and it felt so bad on the test drive. But it looked perfect and I had a thing for V4's. So I bought it. Went through it put air in tires and it drove like the wonderful machine it is. Been driving the wheels off of it and kind of forgot about the stem bearings. Very understanding wife gave me a hall pass this morning to install the All balls, change the fork oil went ahead and flushed the brake fluid and clutch fluid. If you haven't done this yet do it now you wont be sorry. Best $30 I've spent in a long time. Now off to a Valentine's evening with the best wife ever!!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

How did you adjust the new bearings. I have some installed but I'm not sure they are adjusted correctly.

• Member Contributer

I thought that you let some other dude borrow your bike. And liked it.

• Member Contributer

Just followed the directions that came with the bearings. Snug down back off and snug down again. Make sure you have a good spanner wrench to keep the adjuster from turning while tightening the lock nut. Have about 400 miles on them and they still feel great. Have checked for looseness still perfect. So much smoother than factory ball bearings. Have someone push on the back of the bike to elevate the front end check for play by trying to rock the forks front to rear should be no movement. then turn bars should move smoothly no binding. then you are adjusted correctly.

• Member Contributer

Mine didn't come with instructions on how to adjust. Just driving on the new bearing for the triple.

If you look at the VFR manual (at least for my 06 and my CBR) it has you use a "fish scale" to pull on the triple tree. From there you can adjust how much pressure on the bearings. Start at OEM Honda Torque, then if it is too tight using the fish scale, back off some until it feels good. Worked well on my CBR and my GL, I have the kit for the VFR, I will do it again soon.

• Member Contributer

Don't tapered bearings require MUCH less torque than the OEM ones?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got mine installed and I adjusted the nut till the bearings would be a little to tight and then a little loose and then basically adjusted midway between those two points. Feels great. Really helped the bike. Much smoother turn in and I don't feel like I need to adjust mid turn.

Old bearings were binding right in the strait ahead position.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Have had mine on for a while now. First time I had them to loose and there was some play at the forks. Probably drove 40 miles and readjusted. They feel better now but sometimes when going over big bumps I still get a klunk. Could be the big Hella horn I hung off the front. Ill reinstall the factory horn and see if that's where the noise is coming from.

• Member Contributer

Yes, much less torque... I forget the torque range, but it is waaaay less. If you torque the tapered rollers to the factory setting they will hardly turn and the bike will handle like cr@p

Yes, much less torque... I forget the torque range, but it is waaaay less. If you torque the tapered rollers to the factory setting they will hardly turn and the bike will handle like cr@p

Like 3-5 ft/lbs on tapered roller bearings.

• Member Contributer

Yes, and the Honda Workshop Manual instructions refer to OEM-type ball bearings, so you need to use the "feel" technique instead of the "fish scale" method.

Ciao,

I found a tutorial online about installing tapered bearings...basically tighten WAAAY too tight, turn back & forth 50 (!) times, then repeat. Back off then retighten until you get @ 5 lbs pull required from fork tube to move the head. Worked like a charm. Have @ 20,000 miles on them so far.

"waaaaay" too tight can crack your steeering neck.

Ralph from South Africa found this out the hard way.

That procedure was written for bikes with steel frames.

I would not under any circumstances exceed 18 ft/lbs on a VFR steering head, as per the FSM.

"waaaaay" too tight can crack your steeering neck.

Ralph from South Africa found this out the hard way.

That procedure was written for bikes with steel frames.

I would not under any circumstances exceed 18 ft/lbs on a VFR steering head, as per the FSM.

Guess I got lucky; I torqued to at least 59 ft/lbs....

• Member Contributer

Ok. It was the horn. My bearings were fine. : )

Now I have a nice wear mark on my fender from the horn wacking the fender. Had no idea the fender came up that high.

• Member Contributer

Ok. It was the horn. My bearings were fine. : )

Now I have a nice wear mark on my fender from the horn wacking the fender. Had no idea the fender came up that high.

Done the same thing dont fill bad .

Roll On ..

• Member Contributer

Not to rain on your parade but did Honda not remove these bearing because of high speed wobble on CBR954 ? Kinda on the fence about this mod. Any feed back on upper speed runs would be great.

Roll On ..

Not to rain on your parade but did Honda not remove these bearing because of high speed wobble on CBR954 ? Kinda on the fence about this mod. Any feed back on upper speed runs would be great.

Roll On ..

Switch,

Can add a data point to your question

- All Balls tapered roller bearing installed and seated then adjusted for minimal force to turn front end (minimal preload, did it by feel, have no torque value)

- Rear susp shimmed 6mm at shock, front dropped 10mm on triples

- Factory panniers always on

- 250lb rider

> Peak speed recorded on Zumo550 GPS at 186kmh/115.6mph - no 'head shake' or other vibration observed (or so I'm told. I would never break the speed limit or engage in such hooliganism)

Roll On ..

I've been to an indicated 167 mph (@ 150) & it's solid. This was with triple dropped 5 mm on the forks. Zero issues, very neutral in the corners pushing HARD.

• Member Contributer

Roll On ..

Switch,

Can add a data point to your question

- All Balls tapered roller bearing installed and seated then adjusted for minimal force to turn front end (minimal preload, did it by feel, have no torque value)

- Rear susp shimmed 6mm at shock, front dropped 10mm on triples

- Factory panniers always on

- 250lb rider

> Peak speed recorded on Zumo550 GPS at 186kmh/115.6mph - no 'head shake' or other vibration observed (or so I'm told. I would never break the speed limit or engage in such hooliganism)

Roll On ..

I've been to an indicated 167 mph (@ 150) & it's solid. This was with triple dropped 5 mm on the forks. Zero issues, very neutral in the corners pushing HARD.

I should have known the VFR was more stable then 954 !

Thanks guys.

Roll On ..

Archived