Odd Noise- Ideas?

L Scott

I'm tryin to get an idea of what this noise may be before blindly taking apart the engine/transmission. I'm hopin someone has heard this sort of thing before.

My 2001 has an odd noise that seems to be coming from the lower rear of the engine. It sounds kind of rattley almost like the cat converter (CA model) has something loose inside, at the same time there is a whirring component to it that sounds like a transmission bearing maybe. It's been getting a bit louder over the last couple hundred miles.

So far it's only noise. Shifts fine, rides/feels great. I don't hear it while riding but then I'm wearing a helmet. I'm the original owner for 85,000 mi. It's louder when it's cold and gets quieter with temp., about 5 min running. It's somewhat intermittent in that the volume is variable and sometimes blends in with normal engine noise.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Sounds like the cam chain tentioner. There is a how to posted in maintainence.

If it's his CCT I'll give him my bike as a replacement. :wink:

What condition is the chain in? How many miles on it?

I don't think it's speed dependent because I can't hear it when I'm riding, altho I am wearing a helmet. It's somewhat RPM dependent as far as the bearing type of component. As the motor turns faster the speed of the whirring increases but not the volume really. That's why I was thinking transmission. What's the transmission reliability on the 5th gens?

It's really odd. I've heard many types of noises from motors and this is pretty different than critical engine noises like rods, piston slap, valve train, etc.

It doesn't get louder with RPM. I'll see if I can record a snippet. I've tried putting a screwdriver against the cases in different places and the handle end against my ear to try and hear a bit better (poor mans stethoscope) but I can't even hear it through that. Strange, you can usually hear something going on inside.

Altho it doesn't have a cam chain, I suppose it could be the drive gear assemblies. Does anyone have any experience with those? Do they fail? Wear out?

This is the first problem I've had with it. As I mentioned, 84K miles. I just do the maintenance and don't beat it. Forks seals, valve adjustments, tires, oil, brake pads, some light bulbs, that's about it. It's been a great bike so now with this I'm trying to decide if I should put a lot of money into it or think about getting rid of it since it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if they still made them.

Cheers,

Scott

• Member Contributer

Another DIY stethoscope you might try is a length of 1/2" or 3/4" heater hose. If the end is cut square it will pick up quite a bit. Wear an earplug in the opposite ear to keep out extraneous noise

FWIW, I can't recall anyone ever mentioning any failure of the cam drive gears on 5th gen motors.

• Member Contributer

If you hear it with the bike in gear, foot on rear brake, and the clutch disengaged it's the engine. If you hear it only when the bike is running in neutral, and the clutch is engaged it's the transmission mainshaft. If you hear it only when the rear wheel is turning it's the trans countershaft, chain, or rear hub.

Make sure the bike is secure before running it in gear on the center stand. You don't want it leaving without you.

Yep, I must be the guy from the post above. ;-). Geeze, After struggling to get the upper bolt that secures the rear brake and a vanity cover on, I was finally able to see what was going on behind there. I couldn't tell if the noise was internal or external but once I removed that plat I was able to get to the clamp for the header- very slightly loose. That's why it was intermittent and had no pattern related to speed or RPM. That's also why it went away when it warmed up. So alls well. I was able to distinguish between the rotating whirring type noise and the rattley noise once they cover was off.

It wouldn't have been so difficult to take it apart to diagnose if they used a real nut instead of some square pressed POS to secure the screw on the back side. Awesome bike but I'ld like to slap the guy that came up with that idea.

Thanks to the guys who responded! The heater hose stethoscope worked great!

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

<apologies, hijacking since it's a year old thread...>

interesting... i've been chasing a noise that seems to be coming from the "right rear". it's a sort of light "popping" nose. notice it most a low rpms under power, e.g. starting from a light. noise goes away with speed but probably just because I can't hear it. loose exhaust didn't occur to me - it's an exhaust leak type of noise though!! i was thinking chain/hub bearings or maybe swingarm (bit of a stretch) bearings somehow. chain is on the wrong side and i went through the hub bearings. they aren't perfect (almost 70k miles), but very smooth. i replaced the cush drive rubbers along the way too.

i'll check the exhaust claps as a leak on that side could be the noise.

thank you forum folks :)

• Member Contributer

Is this bike new to you & are you familioar with the VFR800 gear driven cam whine ? They all make a funny whine on the right side. Get a stethescope & isolate the noise location.

Archived