1999 Vfr800 Resurrection

SCguy

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Big fan of the tapered bearings. Hope you ordered those!

Affirmative.

As Kev said, tapered bearings for the steering stem, Honda bearings for the wheels...

• Member Contributer

Big fan of the tapered bearings. Hope you ordered those!

How difficult are they to change/install?

It's not bad at all except getting the bearing off the lower steering triple. You'll need a perfectly sized pipe section to drive the new bearing on. If you happen to have a spare rail from a Rockwell table saw that works very well. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Forgive the terrible quality photos, but here's the new seat in all it's glory!

IMAG0521_zpso8ntrzc6.jpg

IMAG0519_zpsh6v30rmx.jpg

Beautiful worksmanship courtesy of Seth Laam.

• Member Contributer

Wow, that seat looks great! Any improvements to the foam supporting it for better longevity in the saddle?

• Member Contributer

Wow, that seat looks great! Any improvements to the foam supporting it for better longevity in the saddle?

Definitely. Here's a cut and paste from his site :

• We have various blends of foams, ranging from extra firm to super soft and forgiving

• Allows support even under pressure

• Positioned in the middle of the seat so that it sits directly under your hip bones

• Firm at first, but when weight is applied, it instantly absorbs all weight or pressure

• Allows proper blood flow which eliminates pain

• Firmer than your standard "Tempur-Pedic" style foam

• Takes minimal pressure to keep its shape

• Extra high density foam on the sides to pick us as much weight as possible

He's a one man shop, builds all the seats himself. Before be builds, he talks with you about what you want out of the seat, height, weight, inseam, what kind of riding position, any pain areas, preferred positioning on seat, etc. Basically custom tailored just to you. All for cheaper than a Sargent.

• Member Contributer

Put some hours into the old girl today.

Painted the front wheel gold (still stripping the 8 spoke, it had 3 coats of paint), and the fork lowers semi flat black.

IMAG0537_zpswcpyvtqz.jpg

The fork tubes looked pretty bad too. This is before a bit of polishing.

IMAG0531_zpsfnf2isop.jpg

Installed a tapered head bearing set (the main reason for the teardown)

When I checked the old bearings, they felt fine, but once I had the front wheel off, I could feel a definite notch in the steering.

IMAG0526_zpslevdis0r.jpg

CheapPS up and almost ready to go. I still have to install the usb port, finish wiring stuff and then reassembly.

• Member Contributer

The tapered head bearings have completely fixed the head shake issue! I installed my BurnsMoto dual USB charger, now all that's left is to finish wiring the PDM60. 3 weeks till I hit the road.

• Member Contributer

10 days to go, and I've hit my first roadblock. I've been installing my new PDM60 fuse box and everything was going well until I had my Metripak connectors finished and went to program in the necessary circuits. The module must have a short in it because it gets hot immediately and shuts down any usb port I plug it into. It even shut down my one computer. I guess I'm going to have to wire a relay and inline fuses for the trip.

• Member Contributer

Refresh my memory, is this PDM-60 new or used? Sounds like someone completely shorted it and then sold it to you.

• Member Contributer

This is a brand new one. The used one I bought first got junked. I'm dealing with Rowe and have an RMA, but not enough time between now and when I leave.

• Member Contributer

Wow...did the HeeHaw write that song about you?

"If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..."

Sorry to hear about the further set back.

• Member Contributer

Wow...did the HeeHaw write that song about you?

"If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..."

Sorry to hear about the further set back.

I try not to let it get me down. I'm keeping my thoughts on next Friday, when I leave from work early and head for Suches. And don't return for a month. Yeah, that puts me in a good mood

• Member Contributer

Just some HK shorty levers, but they seem to be built pretty well for how cheap they are. Other package was from Partzilla with a few miscellaneous bits

You don't have a link or seller info for these do you? I would like to grab a set for my 98.

• Member Contributer

IMAG0575_1_zpshvbebe1s.jpg

Got my 90 degree valve stem installed on the rear, wiring rigged until I get my fuse box back. I've just got to replace the front brake switch and I'll be ready to roll.

Congrats on the work you've been doing. Very fine. Also, I appreciate all the technical details as I am considering purchasing a 5th-Gen with the express purpose of a restoration.

Archived