1999 Vfr800 Resurrection

SCguy

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

IMHO, what often lets down non-OEM paint jobs is the skimping on proper decals. Not putting any decals on just looks like you're a cheap bastard. Putting decals from a previous generation on a later bike just looks wrong. Or putting generic decals on any bike: just looks hideous.

OEM decals from the correct era in the exact OEM locations is the sign of a well-finished custom paintjob. (IMHO!)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

IMHO, what often lets down non-OEM paint jobs is the skimping on proper decals. Not putting any decals on just looks like you're a cheap bastard. Putting decals from a previous generation on a later bike just looks wrong. Or putting generic decals on any bike: just looks hideous.

OEM decals from the correct era in the exact OEM locations is the sign of a well-finished custom paintjob. (IMHO!)

Ciao,

I agree with you for the most part. When I get decals done, I will likely go back to how the bike is now, OE Honda on the tank, no VFR logo on the fairing. Call me crazy, but I just really don't like the VFR script. Looks too dated and Ricky Racer for me, but everyone's got their preferences.

• Member Contributer

My vote is for the Cold-Beer-Here Blue. Esp. nice if you have blue eyes. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Left to go several hours upstate on Saturday, made it 10 miles before my RR crapped out and I was stuck on the side of the road. Got the bike towed back, going to look at it tonight to assess the damage.

• Member Contributer

http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20Mosfet%20Regulator%20about.htm

Get the whole kit, makes it super easy to install. I pieced together the same basic idea before I found his site, and bought a used R1 R/R. The new ones are updated from that R/R, and it's one stop shopping.

• Member Contributer

Well, reteardown has begun.

The work station:

IMAG0187_zpsydby2rrc.jpg

Here's the culprit, a fried Ricks RR.

IMAG0185_zpsbjj69cmw.jpg

Connectors looked fine, stator seems to be okay.

I got bored with no parts, so I plastidipped the inside of my stock windscreen.

• Member Contributer

Well, reteardown has begun.

The work station:

IMAG0187_zpsydby2rrc.jpg

Here's the culprit, a fried Ricks RR.

IMAG0185_zpsbjj69cmw.jpg

Connectors looked fine, stator seems to be okay.

I got bored with no parts, so I plastidipped the inside of my stock windscreen.

Well, I guess I will not be holding off on my R/R replacement. Thanks for posting SCGuy...

• Member Contributer

Installed blue LEDs in the gauge cluster, a ST1300 tank pad, and TechSpec C3 tank grips today.

IMAG0188_zpseg99iuza.jpg

Not bad for a lunch break job.

• Member Contributer

I do really like the dark blue. Even though it's a Ford color, I think I really, really like Kona Blue. Dark, subtle, and classy in the shadows, catching eyes and showing out in the sun.

100_0043_zpsytb2t4rp.jpg

• Member Contributer
Parts are beginning to come in! The RR kit from Roadstercycle came in today. The volt meter will be the biggest hold up, but it's already in the US from Hong Kong, so it shouldn't be too long.

I figured that if I'm doing wiring, I'll do it proper the first time. I plan on adding a few farkles on down the road, so I'd better prepare electrically beforehand. I started looking at fuseboxes and became intrigued with the Rowe Electronics PDM60 power distribution module.

AltRider Explains PDM60 (Power Distribution Module): https://youtu.be/7zLCBjFkMxQ"onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a video explaining what sets it apart from a simple fuse box. It has customizable amperage, self resetting, custom trigger settings, completely sealed, waterproof unit.

Less intriguing was the price, $199.99. I found one retailer selling for $168, and I had it added to the cart before I realized I hadn't checked eBay.

To my surprise, there was a used one on eBay! I'm all for buying new if there's not a great price difference, but for $75 shipped vs $200, I'll take used any day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

R/R is installed. I went with the Shindengen FH020AA MOSFET R/R. For simplicity, I ordered from Jack at Roadstercycle.com I highly recommend him!

First up, the regulator mounting holes are 90 degrees different from OE, so I had to drill two holes to mount it.

IMAG0274_zps94vektua.jpg

All mounted up and looking spotless compared to the rest of the polleny bike.

The stock power connector was not used, so I shrinkwrapped it and tucked it out of the way. The stator connector is very much a weak link on these bikes, often overheating and melting. Mine was okay, but just okay doesn't cut it here.

IMAG0285_zpseuld4whh.jpg

Enter the Metripack 630 connector and 10 ga wiring. This connector is not going to overheat.

For the battery side, I ran 10 ga to ground, and a 10 ga Metripack 630 fuse holder from the positive to the R/R.

IMAG0281_zpsnv3um9uk.jpg

More electrical goodness to come as I receive parts.

Much thanks to MelloDude for his patience in explaining the charging system.

• Member Contributer

Cool rebuild thread. My vote on the color front is orange for the bodywork, especially a metallic orange, and something dark for the wheels. Glossy black might be nice.

• Member Contributer

EBay score of the day - used Givi V46 top case with LED brake light and backrest for $75.

Archived