1999 Vfr800 Resurrection

SCguy

• Member Contributer

I though the coffee colored fluid in my '01 was bad! Yikes, that gunk looks pretty gnarly!

post-23057-0-59587900-1424045740.jpg

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Guys, I need some help. The bike is almost starting. Just almost.

VFR800 not starting: http://youtu.be/gQG7UlR1y3k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you reckon? I've obviously got spark, fuel pump runs and has good pressure. I'm thinking injector spray pattern again.

• Member Contributer

Does it help any to give it a bit of throttle during cranking? Also, the low fuel light is flashing - is there enough for the fuel pump to pick it up?

• Member Contributer

It does help to give it throttle while cranking. I'm giving it throttle during the video. The fuel level sender has a dead spot, I just put in a little over 2 gallons.

• Member Contributer

I got some work done. :pbjtsmilie: Last week I flushed and bled the brakes front and rear. Between when I got off work Friday evening and last night, I put about 14 hours into working on the VFR. :asleep:

Friday evening was tank evening. I spent from 5:30 to 11:00 using the POR15 kit to prep and line the tank. After 2 hours of the Metal Etch treatment, a good bit of rust remained, so I poured in the gallon of phosphoric acid I had purchased earlier. Result? Rust free.

The liner went in without much hassle, but the cure time is 96 hours, or basically Wednesday.

Saturday, first up was the chain. I was able to free up the link, get the chain riveted, adjust the free play and install the chain guard. Polished the clutch rod, installed freshly rebuilt clutch slave cylinder.

Opened the clutch master cylinder to find this:

IMAG0037_zps2ufriewv.jpg

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Cleaned the master cylinder as well as I could. There's a tiny bit of gunk I couldn't get out, so I might have to deal with that down the road a bit. The Phillips head screws are about stripped in mine (thanks PO). I'm thinking about getting some stainless allen replacement screws, like I did for my gas cap. Got new fluid in the clutch lines now, and got them bled out. K&N air filter cleaned, washed, and drying, ready for oiling. Fresh oil change with Wix oil filter and Mobil 1 4T 10W40 oil. Coolant all drained and replaced with Engine Ice coolant. Rear wheel installed. Yoshi slipon exhaust installed (waiting on new rubber insulator for the muffler clamp).

Most importantly, installed blingin' new gold oil filler cap from ProBolt

IMAG0023_zpstkzo4re9.jpg

All that's left: Oil and install K&N air filter

Refit fuel pump into tank, connect lines, install tank, fill with fuel

Start engine, burp coolant

Install seat and fairings.

DMV Paperwork

RD

Looking great and keep up the great work. The ProBolt filler cap looks good and I can hardly wait to get mine. I ordered a red one to go with the bike color and to complement the Sebspeed Clear clutch window that now allows me to really see into the soul of the bike. LOL. Clear clutch cover window might look really good good with the new filler cap................. Check it out if you're interested. Never really thought I would get one the first time I saw it here on VFRD but now that I have one installed, man, it really adds to the look of the bike IMHO.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79536-clutch-window-promo-special-vfrd-only/?hl=%2Bclear+%2Bclutch+%2Bcover

• Member Contributer

Guys, I need some help. The bike is almost starting. Just almost.

VFR800 not starting: http://youtu.be/gQG7UlR1y3k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you reckon? I've obviously got spark, fuel pump runs and has good pressure. I'm thinking injector spray pattern again.

Might be a starter valve sync issue. That's a pre-hotwax unit model so requires choke but I believe it still has starter valves. Probably something simple as it sounds like it is trying real hard.

• Member Contributer

Might be a starter valve sync issue. That's a pre-hotwax unit model so requires choke but I believe it still has starter valves. Probably something simple as it sounds like it is trying real hard.

Is cranking vacuum steady enough to actually sync the starter valves? When I had the TB assembly out, I took great care not to mess with the starter valves. The PO said he had it running the day before I bought it, but ran it out of gas in a rusty gas tank. It sucked up some gunk, and had the injector screens plugged.

• Member Contributer

Sometimes you just need to hook it up to a charger and keep cranking. I've had to do it on my '99 as well as my previous RC51 when they sat for a while. Similar era fuel injected Hondas.

This is pretty basic, but are you positive neither pair of spark plug wires may not be reversed on a bank of cylinders? To me It sounds like the motor may only be firing on one, or two cylinders when you're cranking...

Also, a shot of starter fluid in the intake could help with firing her up if some of the starter valves could be clogged or out of adjustment.

I've found that leaving the "choke" off and giving a little throttle while cranking my '98 seems to work best when it's cold outside and it hasn't been started for several weeks.

• Member Contributer

Ok, did a little digging over lunch. Only one fuel injector is spraying. I get nothing out of the others. I'll probably work late tonight and verify that I have voltage and injector pulse signal at the 3 nonfunctioning injectors.

• Member Contributer

Okay, I picked up a throttle body assembly, spare front calipers (all the better to paint) , and a VFR800 engine last night.

The engine has supposedly been freshly rebuilt, and was ready to swap into the VFR, but the guy laid it over before he did any swapping. This guy bought it and was parting it out on eBay. I didn't really need the engine, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. I got the engine, calipers, and throttle body assembly for $150.

The engine was $100, but that's about what the clutch cover alone goes for on eBay. I'm keeping the clutch cover though. I want to get Sebspeed to do a clutch cover window down the road a bit, and part the engine out to pay for it. I doubt I'll get any work done on the bike tonight, I'm doing the front crank seal, timing and balance shaft belts on my cousin's car.

IMAG0046_zpskul9bhk6.jpg

New addition to the cluttered home workspace

• Member Contributer

Ahh, forgot the air filter picture. Here's a whiles worth of rat and wasp population...

20141220_194135_zpsuglfdqe9.jpg

That has happened to me twice. Almost a given for poll-barn-stored fifth gens.

• Member Contributer

Got home from doing a balance shaft seal and timing belt on a friend's car to find a couple packages waiting for me, including my new levers!

IMAG0058_zpsfpaz2sq8.jpg

Just some HK shorty levers, but they seem to be built pretty well for how cheap they are. Other package was from Partzilla with a few miscellaneous bits

• Member Contributer

I decided to step back and look at the big picture. I bought a used throttle body assembly with injectors, but then the seller told me the bike had been sitting for three years. As much as I just wanted to slap them in there and hear the bike run, I don't want to have to tear down anything that I don't have to down the road.

With that in mind, I called Injector RX and talked with them about cleaning my original injectors. They said that if the injectors ohm out fine, which they do, they have a 99% success rate with being able to clean threm and restore them to perfect order. I shipped them out today for cleaning and bench flow testing. They'll also check for leaks and proper spray pattern. It runs about $20 an injector, but will give me some peace of mind when reinstalling everything. I'm taking the fuel rails to be ultrasonically cleaned as well.

I'm itching to ride this beast, but I'd rather take my time doing it right now than have downtime in good riding weather.

• Member Contributer

Jim, I had the fuel rails ultrasonically cleaned, and will be taking the fuel lines for the same procedure. The rails looked perfectly clean, but my friend who cleaned them said that he got out a ton of deposits. My new fuel filter and fuel level sending unit arrived today. InjectorRX emailed me and sent a return tracking number. I checked it and they left Houston and went promptly to San Jose, CA. Hey USPS, that's kind of the wrong end of the country. My 8 spoke wheel should be on its way across the ocean this week as well. It seems that there are quite a few more 90-93 VFR750s being parted out in Europe than in the US. Mine's coming from Germany.

RD

Don't forget to save up some money to have the wheels blasted and powder coated the same color. Don't do black though, you lose all detail on the 8 spoke. Personal bias, Honda silver or bronze looks the best IMO.

• Member Contributer

My wide tire kit came in. Anybody have experience stretching a VFR swingarm?

IMAG0078_zpsxw9buukv.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ahh, forgot the air filter picture. Here's a whiles worth of rat and wasp population...

20141220_194135_zpsuglfdqe9.jpg

That has happened to me twice. Almost a given for poll-barn-stored fifth gens.

Where have I seen this before .

• Member Contributer

Got a thing or two done. I was having contact problems in the high/ low bream beam switch, but a shot of CRC Electronic Cleaner took care of that. The turn signal switch was rather stiff, but after a quick shot of white lithium, everything is well in left control land.

I have not gotten my injectors back yet. Tracking finally updated saying that the package delivery was delayed, and that it was in Atlanta last night, so I expect them tomorrow.

I also got a DHL tracking number for my 8 spoke making its way across the ocean from Germany.

Spoke with my buddy who does powdercoating about doing my wheels. He quoted me $20-30 per wheel. Sounds pretty cheap. I'll be on the lookout for a front wheel, so I can ride while I'm waiting to ship the wheels to him. Any idea what it would cost to ship two wheels from SC to AR and back?

Archived