G'day From Qld Australia

AllWeather

G'Day from Qld Australia

I recently aquired a 2 owner 2004 Gen6 800 with 50,000 km's in "Pearl herron Blue"

IMG_0334_zps52d284af.jpg

I have slowly been getting it all set up and back up to speed the previous owner were both seniors

Sooooo the bike was a bit carboned up and in need of a few bits and pieces and a damned good thrashing

So Far

2 x oil and filter changes with only 1000Km's on each ( after "FPR" Gave up )

removed and pro cleaned injectors (actually very good and to spec but cleaned )

3 x sets brake pads

1 x set front wheel bearings

1x thermostat and coolant

1 set of new plugs

Bled clutch and brakes

I have also balanced the starter valves ( how easy is that after carbs )

IMG_0340_zpsc843953f.jpg

Fitted a s/hand PC3 usb and 2 x new 02 sensor elims

Blocked off the pair at the airbox take off with ball bearing

Bought and installed a set of 2 Brothers alloy mufflers and midpipe these were very loud for the first 100 - 150 km's then got quieter or I got more deaf

IMG_0344_zps5a6275e7.jpg

I have installed a "Scottoiler V System " chain oiler I fit these to all my bikes and I haven't had to buy a chain in a very long time

And today I am installing a Garmin Zumo590LM using the ram mount on the tank bolt

Hopefully my Sena "smh10" will arrive today

Cheers

James

WELCOME and were the starter valves way off ?

They were all over the place most likely never been done !

The plugs were definetly the originals no mention of them ever being changed or checked in the receipts

And they needed changing

Needless to say the bike now goes MUCH better and is starting to come right after being Babied all its life

this weekend is a fork oil and new springs and bushes and maybe rear suspension/ swingarm re-greasing if enough time

• Member Contributer

WELCOME and were the starter valves way off ?

They were all over the place most likely never been done !

The plugs were definetly the originals no mention of them ever being changed or checked in the receipts

And they needed changing

Needless to say the bike now goes MUCH better and is starting to come right after being Babied all its life

this weekend is a fork oil and new springs and bushes and maybe rear suspension/ swingarm re-greasing if enough time

Good to hear !!

The above stated mods and servicing have made this bike soooo much nicer /smooth

With no need to clutch in slow moving traffic to smooth out the snatchy fuelling any more

Even down to walking speeds in 1st the clutch isn't needed

And 30 seconds to hook up the PC3 to the laptop and change the maps beats the hell out of 1 - 2 hrs Jetting carbs any day

• Member Contributer

Oh, I like the colour :) welcome to crowd.

Oberon to Home

This is what yours can look like, 100,000km later.

Welcome James. You know your stuff, are you gainfully employed in the moto industry?

Unfortunately not

I am currently unemployed as at my last job I fell from the deck of a semi trailer onto my elbow and smashed it and the adjoining shoulder

Mostly good now apart from cold mornings I suffer with a little bit of movement restriction after 3 surgeries but itis all good once I get moving

And until I am totally disabled I will ride everyday come rain hail or shine or even snow as the VFR ismy sole transport as my significant other has the car and she works away for 3 weeks a month

I am currently 46 and have been riding since I was 5 (off rd) and on road since 15 legaly

All of my mechanical skills are from self learning and the need to fix things as I live in the country and the local dealer only employs school leavers ( cheap wages)

I would love a job especially in the moyorcycle industry but any job will would be great (sent out over 200 job applications in the last year but no joy)

All the kids seem to get the jobs up here in Gympie

Cheers

James

Cheers Guys for the kind words

I can tell you that we have put our house on the market 3 weeks ago and we plan to move back to the big smoke of Brisbane

Hopefully I can secure a job in a warehouse or customer services type role

Very hard moving away from heavy transport industry after so many years in which I operated fuel tankers for BP and B-Doubles on general freight and line haul along with self loading container sideloaders (swinglift )

I guess the diesel is in the blood after so long and big" CAT" torque is very addictive with all the bells n whistles of the newer gen electronic engines

Many prospective employers unfortunately seem unable to see past the "Truck driver " part of your work history and seem to dismiss you as only being a "GRUNT"

Maybe I could set myself up to do basic bike servicing from home as a sideline

Cheers

James

Good luck with it James. I know a few people in the 'drive big things for a living' game and it seems hard to get work, hopefully you'll find something in the industry that allows you to use your experience.

Archived