Laminar Lip Feed Back/replacement Mirrors?

LeakingLewis

I'm new to the forum and new to VFR ownership. Just picked up a 2002 6th gen. and love it. I do notice that im getting lots of air hitting me under the chin when riding. Does anyone have any experience with the Laminar Lip on a 6th gen? I'm thinking of adding one for air deflection.
Also, what are the best replacement mirrors. The right mirror was scrapped and the glass (plastic) is distorted. Looks very cheap.

• Member Contributer

Haven't used a Laminar Lip, but I recently put on an MRA X-creen variable spolier from Twisted Throttle that makes a huge difference for me -- much quieter. I'm 6' and on a 5gen, and it helps on a both a stock and touring screen.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-bolt-on-10840

• Member Contributer

+1 on the MRA screen. I have the Vario and love it. You can adjust the angle/ height of the lip. Unfortunately, not while you are moving.

post-24302-0-00958700-1412291344.jpg

Ive ran both laminar lips the standard and the higher one.

It takes atleast 500 miles of various conditions to test a lip thoroughly, in the end I stuck with the stock shield. The higher lip was the worse, certain conditions my eyes were so googley wanted to throw up. The standard lip was better but raised sound levels a lot, but also had some bennis under certain conditions.

I never tried the double bubble, but Ive heard of similar increase in noise level. Typically the main noise stream hit me in the neck area, the standard lip move it up right at the ear level. But you know they do sell them, so maybe its your cup of tea more than mine.

I'm 6' 1" and find that the stock screen directs the wind flow toward the bottom edge of my helmet, creating a turbulent zone right below my ears. As an experiment, I took a cheap aftermarket windscreen and cut off about 1.5" across the top. Now the airflow exits slightly lower, leaving my helmet in cleaner air, and it's much quieter (Arai Corsair V helmet).

Hi Leaking Lewis,

Have a 6th Gen as well with the standard height (lower, not 'touring') Laminar Lip in clear and after seeing "Switchblade's" should have gone with a tinted one. Don't overlook (pun intended) this choice when ordering.

For me at 5' 9" with ~31" inseam (longer torso than the 95th percentile) I find it directs the air to mid helmet and is much quieter over the stock screen which directed air under my helmet and was substantially noisier. I'm happy with mine but you should be aware that a Laminar Lip will increase the bikes' Cd substantially (nothing is for free) and I've noticed a gas mileage hit. Not a 'rip it off immediately' impact but less miles/kms per tank.

Considering what "checksix" said about cutting down a 'standard' height screen I am going to investigate that as when I stand up to stretch my legs it gets quieter when up and out of the turbulent air created by the lip.

And of course, Your Results May Vary. (If you experience irritability, nausea, or loss of balance; install previous windscreen immediately)

• Member Contributer

The EMGO brand of aftermarket mirrors are very well made, not too expensive and indistinguishable from stock mirrors. They make mirrors for almost every bike out there so be sure you're getting the one for the 6th gen VFR.

I've had the stock, Givi touring and Zero Gravity Double Bubble screens on my 2004 and finally was most satisfied with the MRA Vario.

I dunno, I'm 6'2" and I have used both the stock screen and the double bubble, I think I prefer the double, as it has less air pressure on my shoulders. I think I get better mileage with it too as my upper body isn't working like a parachute dragging the bike at freeway speeds.

• Member Contributer

I just mounted a new Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen last month and immediately hit the road for 4500 miles. A+ on less pressure on your body, less bugs, less rain, and no buffeting/helmet noise. I can easily swap back and forth from that to the shorter OEM screen when I don't want the tall one on there. The first pic is the stocker - not much taller than my tank bag. The second shows the ZG - considerably higher profile. Got mine from Amazon for about $90.

Lunch time in Salida, CO

Long Haul Ready

• Member Contributer

Just got one of these last week. Still reviewing it BUT I did like the capability of lowering it down when making supersonic runs on the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the

wait for it .

" THE WORLD FAMOUS DRAGON "

• 8 months later...

I just put on over 1000 miles with my new Laminar Lip. I have to say it worked better than expected and was worth every penny. I'm 6'1" with a longer torso which meant that the wind used to hit me in the upper chest. This would mean that at highway speeds I would be tensing muscles to fighting with the wind pressure.

Now the wind is pushed over my shoulders with very little helmet buffeting.

An added benefit that I hadn't anticipated was that reduction in wind noise. Usually I have the volume of my Bluetooth unit (Sena SMH-5 FM) up pretty high to hear the music with earplugs in. But at highway speeds I could turn the volume down and still hear perfectly.

Going past 18 wheelers was a bit more tricky. I felt that wind wash was greater. This is probably because I didn't have the additional pressure on my chest.

I think the look of the unit does not take away from the lines of the VFR, it blends in and looks smart.

• Member Contributer

Another option: Givi (Giviusa.com) makes a touring windscreen for the sixth gen $123.
http://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/honda/vfr800-v-tec-02-11
I've used the touring windscreen on all my fifth gens as well as the oem screen and the Givi is quieter, drier, and added about 5 mpg to my mileage.
I am short though; you have to pick me up to say "hello". (approx.5'8" and decreasing).

Another option: Givi (Giviusa.com) makes a touring windscreen for the sixth gen $123.

http://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/honda/vfr800-v-tec-02-11

I've used the touring windscreen on all my fifth gens as well as the oem screen and the Givi is quieter, drier, and added about 5 mpg to my mileage.

I am short though; you have to pick me up to say "hello". (approx.5'8" and decreasing).

+1 on the Givi. I'm 6'-4"and installed it before a Boston-Califorinia-Boston trip. Made a huge difference, and added bonus I think it makes the bike look way better! Excellent fit and finish as well, which many of the screens don't have. Well worth the price.

5'9", '07 with HeliBars (Gen Mars before that). The Zero Gravity Double Bubble is perfect for me. Reasonably quiet and Very little buffeting. I used it on my '02 as well. EMGO mirrors are excellent, great quality, look exactly like the factory mirrors and can be had for $30. Unfortunately, I've been through a few...

Archived