Vfr1200 2015

Guest JohnnyV4

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The 1000cc chain driven bike would be lighter, that's one advantage I'm thinking of. It still wouldn't be as light as a liter superbike, so I don't think it'd overlap...

Thanks guys.

I think honestly this bike should stay a 1200, but make it chain drive for 2 reasons. Loose a little weight and allow some gearing changes. Then improve the suspension. It leaves much to be desired. I'm not saying make it some crazy deal but a set of 43mm with compression damping and a 1.0 spring for the front and ad compression for the rear.

The 1200 lives on . . . just not in the U.S. Too bad Honda won't produce a liter capacity VFR with chain drive that would like win over buyers of both.

I'll explain this. Let's say they made a 1000cc VFR chain drive, and 475 lbs. For many of us that would be the perfect motorcycle. And that's also why they won't make it. For the Honda buyer, they'd go with one bike instead of two. Instead of that VFR AND that CBR600RR or CBR1000RR in their garage, they'd just have one bike, the liter sized VFR. The VFR1200 is in a completely different segment for a reason. They don't want a model cannibalizing sales.

lol, guilty, just wished the 1000RR was a V4

Couldn't agree more, but that is an ENTIRELY different subject.

Thanks guys.

I think honestly this bike should stay a 1200, but make it chain drive for 2 reasons. Loose a little weight and allow some gearing changes. Then improve the suspension. It leaves much to be desired. I'm not saying make it some crazy deal but a set of 43mm with compression damping and a 1.0 spring for the front and ad compression for the rear.

Making it chain drive wouldn't make it feel much lighter as the weight is low down and why do you want all that mess. Shaft is one of the big plus points for me. I have a chain driven sports bike but that's not what the VFR1200 is for and IMO shaft is absolutely right for it.

Regarding suspension, the VFR1200 of course has compression and rebound damping at both ends - but you knew that, right? It's just not as adjustable as you'd like? So far I find the suspension excellent, but doesn't mean I don't want to have Ohlins. I just love that gold finish. :wink:

• Member Contributer

A Veefalo with different colors still looks like..... a Veefalo. Come on, Honda! Just make it reasonable to look at and I will trade in my K bike for one.

A Veefalo with different colors still looks like..... a Veefalo. Come on, Honda! Just make it reasonable to look at and I will trade in my K bike for one.

I remember when they first came out, I thought they were pretty damned ugly. But after seeing it in person and at different angles it has really grown on me. I find it very sophisticated and pretty damn sexy. It's just not an aggressive styling. Also, I have never had so many people come over to look or comment on my bike. It is taking some getting used to.

the vfr1200 does not have compression and rebound damping at both ends. only preload and rebound. a UK only thing?

I don't wish to start an argument here, but every bike will have compression and rebound damping, otherwise it would simply bounce. The fact you cannot see any adjusters for either of these just means exactly that - there are no adjusters. It does NOT mean there is no damping. I thought you understood that.

So the VFR1200 is simply not designed with fully adjustable suspension, but take comfort in the fact that it most certainly does have damping, in both directions and at both ends. Having fully adjustable suspension is in truth overrated and often causes more problems as so few people actually know how to set it up, so they leave it on the factory settings. In which case, it might as well not be adjustable and thereby cheaper.

• Member Contributer

I remember when they first came out, I thought they were pretty damned ugly. But after seeing it in person and at different angles it has really grown on me. I find it very sophisticated and pretty damn sexy. It's just not an aggressive styling. Also, I have never had so many people come over to look or comment on my bike. It is taking some getting used to.

Same here. The first pictures of it didn't do it any justice and I'm still not enamored with the looks, at all. Just not impressed with the looks of it.

We also always get the shaft on paint. Maybe it's just me but Europe, or England in this case, always gets the choice colors that makes the bike look the best. On my RC51 I was hankering for the white euro version. Same for the VFR1200. The Titanium and White colors look outstanding and the best schemes for the bike and we haven't got either. I loathe that Candy Apple red so much that I painted all my bodywork including the luggage. My 98 VFR had Italian red paint, that looks like blood, and excellent. Whomever chooses the colors at Honda in Torrance needs to be fired. At least the CBR1000RR colors have gotten better, still can't believe they finally released a red/white/blue version. VFR still gets the shaft though. Candy Apple red and smurf blue.

Ok you got me. Yes I understand it has it. What I mean is adjustability. I want to be able to adjust the preload, rebound, and compression at both ends.

To me its only starting an argument if you insult me. I enjoy intelligent discussion and debate.

We will have agree to disagree on whether it is overrated or not.

I also agree with this. When I first saw the pictures I thought, Oh dear. But then in the flesh it was so much nicer and I now think it is a very handsome looking bike. That's not to say it couldn't be improved, but it doesn't deserve the criticism it seems to receive. Well, it might if it was a dog to ride, but it's not. It's a magnificent bike to ride.

Ok you got me. Yes I understand it has it. What I mean is adjustability. I want to be able to adjust the preload, rebound, and compression at both ends.

To me its only starting an argument if you insult me. I enjoy intelligent discussion and debate.

Well I don't completely disagree with you. I do prefer to have fully adjustable suspension, but I put in the time and effort to get it all set up as I like. However, I have to say that I don't think the VFR1200 is the sort of bike that requires that level of control. It's just not that sort of bike so I can quite understand why Honda have done what they have done.

You could always buy the special customised Ohlins from www.kainzinger.com/. They use the latest 30mm cartridge forks with custom machined bottom axle 'knuckles' to accept the VFR's big calipers. They also put together custom TTX shocks for the rear. That'll give you all the adjustability you need - at a cost of course.

• Member Contributer

BikenG, f3racer, was just making a point, that you cannot adjust compression front or rear, and to think the VFR1200 is suppose to be Honda's flagship model, I'm sorry but it should. Honda still could and should have compression adjustment, Honda could of printed a base setting for the suspension, like they have at present, even though it is not correct. The front fork set-up is a joke, springs far too soft, and the damping is adequate to say the least. The rear shock, spring rate is ok, and the Rebound damping adjustment is a joke. Sorry but the damping in general is a joke.

This horse has been revived and beaten to death umpteen times already. The VFR1200 is what it is. No single bike could ever be the PERFECT bike for every single rider.

There are a bunch of other ST bikes out there, and more are coming out every few months it seems. BMW R1200RS and Suzuki GSX-S1000F are just two of the latest "sport tourers". Why keep complaining about the VFR1200 for being not what you want? Feel free to pick out another one better suited.

BikenG, f3racer, was just making a point, that you cannot adjust compression front or rear, and to think the VFR1200 is suppose to be Honda's flagship model, I'm sorry but it should. Honda still could and should have compression adjustment, Honda could of printed a base setting for the suspension, like they have at present, even though it is not correct. The front fork set-up is a joke, springs far too soft, and the damping is adequate to say the least. The rear shock, spring rate is ok, and the Rebound damping adjustment is a joke. Sorry but the damping in general is a joke.

Well being a flagship model doesn't necessarily mean it has to have fully adjustable suspension. Flagship super bike, well yes, I'd agree with you. Flagship tourer, not so much. The VFR1200 as we know is somewhere in between and so it's not totally clear cut. On the whole I'd say by far the majority of VFR1200 owners will never touch their suspension settings and so fully adjustable would be a waste.

But I have to agree that Honda are probably shortchanging those who understand the VFR's sporting potential. At the end of the day though, it all comes down to cost and this invariably dictates that production suspension is adequate at best. Yes, it could be a lot better, but everyone ends up having to pay for a more expensive bike.

It's a tough call and Honda certainly don't always get it right.

• Member Contributer

Why because the VFR1200 is a Sports Tourer, adequate suspension is ok, surely you need more adjustment, ie when you are solo, or 2 up, whether with luggage or not, you need to be able to adjust your suspension settings individually, Spring preload, Compression, and Rebound, but No not in Honda's thoughts.

I guess it all depends on how you ride and your riding background.

Every bike I've owned before this was a sportbike. I raced CCS for a bit and I ride kinda hard. So for someone like me adjustability is a must.

thumb_1408315850CP_N2316_zpsk5dmftvi.jpg

For someone who came from maybe a touring bike or an st1300 or something that mainly tours around without any knee dragging type riding in mind then I would assume the vfr suspension is quite adequate.

Why because the VFR1200 is a Sports Tourer, adequate suspension is ok, surely you need more adjustment, ie when you are solo, or 2 up, whether with luggage or not, you need to be able to adjust your suspension settings individually, Spring preload, Compression, and Rebound, but No not in Honda's thoughts.

I think if you believe that anyone will adjust preload AND compression AND rebound, front AND back EVERY time they take a pillion and then back again afterwards, you're living in cloud cuckoo land - in the nicest possible way of course :happy:

I know that adjustable suspension is what you want and I'm the same, but you have to be realistic. If only 2% of all owners will ever adjust their suspension, Honda would be daft to saddle the other 98% with more expensive suspension they'd never take advantage of. I made up those numbers just to illustrate the point, but to be sure by far the majority of bike riders either never touch their suspension settings or get it wrong.

As I said before, they always have to make a decision on stuff like this and while they don't always get it right, I do understand their dilemma.

Every bike I've owned before this was a sportbike. I raced CCS for a bit and I ride kinda hard. So for someone like me adjustability is a must.

For someone who came from maybe a touring bike or an st1300 or something that mainly tours around without any knee dragging type riding in mind then I would assume the vfr suspension is quite adequate.

I can see where you're coming from, but you are definitely in the minority. How few of us really see the VFR1200's sporting potential.

• Member Contributer

BiKenG!, who the hell do you think you are, telling me I am living in cloud cuckoo land, don't get personal with me, that can work both ways, if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself.

BiKenG!, who the hell do you think you are, telling me I am living in cloud cuckoo land, don't get personal with me, that can work both ways, if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself.

But he said it in the nicest possible way :huh:

• Member Contributer

Well being a flagship model doesn't necessarily mean it has to have fully adjustable suspension. Flagship super bike, well yes, I'd agree with you. Flagship tourer, not so much. The VFR1200 as we know is somewhere in between and so it's not totally clear cut. On the whole I'd say by far the majority of VFR1200 owners will never touch their suspension settings and so fully adjustable would be a waste.

But I have to agree that Honda are probably shortchanging those who understand the VFR's sporting potential. At the end of the day though, it all comes down to cost and this invariably dictates that production suspension is adequate at best. Yes, it could be a lot better, but everyone ends up having to pay for a more expensive bike.

I agree with Dave on this.

This bike SHOULD have fully adjustable suspension and it's really laughable that it doesn't given the pricetag and the flagship moniker.

MANY of us mess with the suspension, every setting, why? Because I'm leaning the thing and riding the hell out of it. I don't commute or ride it to the shops. Hard twisty riding or the track is about all I do.

No bike out of the many I've had works for me out of the box. The sag is always wrong and must be corrected for one but I always dial in comp and rebound.

This site has many individuals with 5th and 6th gens vfrs with full converted front ends (RC51 or R1 parts) to get the fully adjustable suspension so I think you have an opinion that isn't based in reality.

Hell I just did mine, Ohlins at the rear and reworked forks. I even tried to use a Thurn suspension link with the Ohlins and tore it back off because it's designed to work only with the factory crap showa unit.

I'll take suspension for $1000 Alex.

• Member Contributer

Too bad Honda won't produce a liter capacity VFR with chain drive that would like win over buyers of both.

I just don't get this. If you want a chain and less power, get the 800. It's quick enough. More capacity means higher fuel consumption. If you do want more performance, what's wrong with the 1200? It's a simply brilliant bike and no greasy mess all over the back wheel. If you want a pillion capable sport tourer what more do you need? And don't moan about tank range. Most riders, let alone pillions, don't want to go over 200 miles without getting off for a stretch. It seems to me that none of the common arguments against the 1200 have any real validity and in any case could be similarly applied to almost any bike. I just don't see why there's so much complaining about the VFR1200.

Who said he wanted less power? Your straw man argument is already failing. And no an 800 is not quick enough for me (or many others) when sport riding solo nor is it near powerful enough for me when sport-touring 2 up. Shedding 100 lbs and adding the missing 55-60 hp from the 1200 (which could be easily accomplished in a V4-1000c configuration) would probably be the ideal bike that SPORT touring mount riders have been asking for.

Don't hand me your tripe about not needing more than the 1200 offers for a pillion capable sport TOURING rig either. I am going to save most of the rebuttal for the ride report that I am working on but I can tell you a few of the 1200's foibles after spending 10 days 2 up on it through Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and back to Germany. Over 3,000 km on it has helped me decide whether I can live with this bikes unique set of compromises better or worse than any of the other dozen V4's I have or have owned.

Just a point in case, if you can get anywhere within 15% of 200 miles from a tank of petrol in SPIRITED 2 up riding or riding not to get ran over on the Autostrada I will kiss your ass and give you 30 minutes to draw crowd of cell-camera equipped witnesses.

Couldn't agree more, but that is an ENTIRELY different subject.

Thanks guys.

Making it chain drive wouldn't make it feel much lighter as the weight is low down and why do you want all that mess. Shaft is one of the big plus points for me. I have a chain driven sports bike but that's not what the VFR1200 is for and IMO shaft is absolutely right for it.

Regarding suspension, the VFR1200 of course has compression and rebound damping at both ends - but you knew that, right? It's just not as adjustable as you'd like? So far I find the suspension excellent, but doesn't mean I don't want to have Ohlins. I just love that gold finish. :wink:

So you value the Ohlins for the gold finish...likely so others notice that you have an Ohlins rather than any real world advancement over a non adjustable unit?

the vfr1200 does not have compression and rebound damping at both ends. only preload and rebound. a UK only thing?

I don't wish to start an argument here, but every bike will have compression and rebound damping, otherwise it would simply bounce. The fact you cannot see any adjusters for either of these just means exactly that - there are no adjusters. It does NOT mean there is no damping. I thought you understood that.

So the VFR1200 is simply not designed with fully adjustable suspension, but take comfort in the fact that it most certainly does have damping, in both directions and at both ends. Having fully adjustable suspension is in truth overrated and often causes more problems as so few people actually know how to set it up, so they leave it on the factory settings. In which case, it might as well not be adjustable and thereby cheaper.

This bolded point along with your point below tell us much about you...

Well I don't completely disagree with you. I do prefer to have fully adjustable suspension, but I put in the time and effort to get it all set up as I like. However, I have to say that I don't think the VFR1200 is the sort of bike that requires that level of control. It's just not that sort of bike so I can quite understand why Honda have done what they have done.

You could always buy the special customised Ohlins from www.kainzinger.com/. They use the latest 30mm cartridge forks with custom machined bottom axle 'knuckles' to accept the VFR's big calipers. They also put together custom TTX shocks for the rear. That'll give you all the adjustability you need - at a cost of course.

You believe yourself to be one of the few VFR aficionados capable of deciphering the arcane knowledge required to set their bikes suspension up for the way they ride...You are the "intelligentsia" and you need to keep the rest of us braying sheep in our place.

Whether you want to recognize it as such or not the VFR is now and has always been a flagship model for Honda. It is not their flagship touring model (the Goldwing is but of course you knew that) but throughout history Honda has requested a higher price for the VFR than other bikes in its class.

To your second bolded point here, how much more could Honda reasonably ask for the bike? Spoiler alert, I will tell you what I think the bike is worth in my ride report. As the bike is currently priced it should either have the luggage included or fully adjustable Showa suspension.

I think if you believe that anyone will adjust preload AND compression AND rebound, front AND back EVERY time they take a pillion and then back again afterwards, you're living in cloud cuckoo land - in the nicest possible way of course :happy:

I know that adjustable suspension is what you want and I'm the same, but you have to be realistic. If only 2% of all owners will ever adjust their suspension, Honda would be daft to saddle the other 98% with more expensive suspension they'd never take advantage of. I made up those numbers just to illustrate the point, but to be sure by far the majority of bike riders either never touch their suspension settings or get it wrong.

As I said before, they always have to make a decision on stuff like this and while they don't always get it right, I do understand their dilemma.

I can see where you're coming from, but you are definitely in the minority. How few of us really see the VFR1200's sporting potential.

And we are back to your progressive "I know better than you what is good enough for you" attitude. You define yourself as being in the 2% of all VFR riders who would go through the trouble to adjust their suspension properly so that it suits the manner in which they ride (to the best of its limited stock suspension ability) why decrying anyone who disagrees with your "truth" as daft.

Truthfully the VFR1200 suspension is about right for bike that costs around $10k USD new, not for a bike with the asking price 30-40% higher.

Back to the original topic...the 2015 bike looks very large from that angle pictured. F3 Racers 1200 looks to be about 200 lbs lighter than the '15 in the picture on the front page.

It could be the angle but if not it is the graphics as the 1200 has not proven to be very photogenic.

Hi,

first pic of next year colour's...in intermot show which opens tommorrow...personally like it a lot!!! :)

how did this post grew into all this bs above? (in the nice possible way) :laugh:

I realize that winter is around the corner but c'mon.......

Archived