• Member Contributer

RC79 (red line) vs RC46 (blue line)

Capture.JPG

RC79 brakes are good! 9.5m/s

Capture2.JPG

post-8974-0-06520100-1409996369.jpg

post-8974-0-97393500-1409996369.jpg

• Member Contributer

VTEC activates at 6400 on the 06 and later 6th gen, it activates between 6700-6800 on the 8th gen and stays on even as it drops to 6100.

Your right about 6th gen looks like the torque graphs are better for determining VTEC engagement .

i test rode the 2015 new VFR800 and found the V-TEC engaging a little bit before 7k rpm, though the transition sounds nice, i didnt feel any difference in power delivery, is it just me or was i expecting a big kick at that point.

also, i found when engine braking and rpm dropping below that point and v-tec shuts back to 2 valves was a bit abrupt at low gear

compared to my 14 years old 5th gen, the new 8th gen isnt much lighter, but feels more nimble to throw around like a sport bike, and really liked the brakes and suspension, was spot on!

one thing i didnt like though, silly me playing with buttons, it was about 26 C (80 F) and i turned on the heated grips and couldn't turn them back off, my hands were toasting :D

oh, i kept honking the horn instead of the signal switch, not sure why mr. Honda decided to flip these around

You more likely rode a 2014. Honda Canada isn't listing 2015's yet on this model.

Honda retuned the VTEC transition to be seamless. You still get the low end performance, but without the "kick" that some complained about (I rather enjoyed it on my 03, myself)

Once you adapt to the new turn signal switch location, it is a more natural and easier reach. Downside is having to re-adapt to the old position on my CBR, it's easier now but a week ago I was on the verge of blowing the horn several times.

To turn off the grip heaters just keep cycling through the power settings, 5-4-3-2-1-0.

• Member Contributer

RC79 VTEC in at 5800rpm

2006 later RC46 VTEC in at 6800rpm

Thats how they smoothed it out, earlier VTEC engagement .

Imagine how smooth it would be if they eliminated it. :goofy:

I don't know. But the resulting gutless bottom end that would result, as you force Honda to do other things to stay in compliance with air quality regulations, would no doubt engender even more complaints. Can't have it both ways unless you do something clever. VTEC is annoying and unnecessary to some, but it is also clever.

You more likely rode a 2014. Honda Canada isn't listing 2015's yet on this model.

Honda retuned the VTEC transition to be seamless. You still get the low end performance, but without the "kick" that some complained about (I rather enjoyed it on my 03, myself)

Once you adapt to the new turn signal switch location, it is a more natural and easier reach. Downside is having to re-adapt to the old position on my CBR, it's easier now but a week ago I was on the verge of blowing the horn several times.

To turn off the grip heaters just keep cycling through the power settings, 5-4-3-2-1-0.

yes, the one i tried was a 2014, thats the first and only VFR800 VTEC i ever tried (never tried a 6th gen). however, i too rather liked the sound and feel of the VTEC transition.

however, what i didnt seem to like about it the new 8th gen is the sporty / CBR-wannabe character it has, dont get me wrong, i like how it look and feels, but it just looked more sporty to me than previous VFRs

VFR has always been capable, yet relaxed machine that dont have to show it (i like surprising people on sport cars off the line out of a traffic light or on the highway) or even other kids on crotchrocket Gixxers and CBRs thinking my old-look VFR isnt capable until i blow them off :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I don't know. But the resulting gutless bottom end that would result, as you force Honda to do other things to stay in compliance with air quality regulations, would no doubt engender even more complaints. Can't have it both ways unless you do something clever. VTEC is annoying and unnecessary to some, but it is also clever.

Not to mention costly, heavy and necessitates the old school Ducati-like valve adjustment costs.

and only clever in its car iteration, not the dumbed down motorcycle version of it.

RC79 VTEC in at 5800rpm

My VTEC kicks in at 0 RPMs and is smooth as butter.

• Member Contributer

RC79 VTEC in at 5800rpm

My VTEC kicks in at 0 RPMs and is smooth as butter.

Now turn up hearing aids .

:goofy:

To turn off the grip heater just give it one long press.

I curse the new horn button location, and the reach is too far especially with the heater control in the way.

While I've accidentally hit the horn a couple of times, to me the more annoying problem is the heater switch. I have found myself few times now wondering why my nice vented Spidis are cooking my hands to a crisp before realizing what that little icon on the dashboard is...

So far Ive accidently bumped the heated grip button once, they got hot, and it took a bit to realize whats going on and stop it. This sunday at a bike event someone may have been messing with my bikes buttons when they were looking at it causing the heated grips to come on after I pulled out. Again it took a minute or so to figure it out (didnt notice anything on the dash at the time). When I park my bike at events if I stay with in sight the people looking at it dont mess with buttons, etc. Annoying how some people will mess with another persons property when they arent around (cycles seem to be a common object for this to happen with).

In the past I was suprised how many people have been caught sitting on my old bike (most of them were women getting their pictures taken by friends while doing so), a few friends caught most of them in the process and told them to get off of it, then told me about it right away. Ive also found other buttons activated on both bikes, mirrors adjusted, etc on the old one.

I've accidently hit mine a couple times too...you're like "why are my hands so warm?...oh yeah, that"

I also think it was a stupid move for Honda to change the horn/signal switches. Even though I've gotten used to the signal switch (it's not as easy to use as the 6th gen IMO), I feel like the horn button is the bigger issue. Since you don't use it all the time, your instincts take over when a car starts to move into your lane and you end up hitting the signal button and possibly getting run into. I would love to hear the reasoning from the person that decided they should be switched.

No bar stories, no tall tales to make a point. I have, quite literally, never intentionally used my horn once in the past 80,000 miles on three different bikes, except to pass annual inspection.

Ride like you're invisible and you will either never put yourself in a position to, or will escape from, the need to push that horn button- or if unlucky, will be too busy trying to avoid the situation that the horn is not on your top 10 list at that moment.

Because I guarantee, the soccer mom with six brats in the Suburban on the phone to her psychotherapist won't hear our pitiful little horn until its too late.

While all that is mostly true, I feel it is my duty to make sure people are "informed" that they've done something stupid....that being said, I have had a few times where my horn caused the person changing into my lane to suddenly jerk back into their own lane. Granted, I saw them and was already moving out of their way, but I didn't have to go completely out of my lane once they heard me.

Either way, it still doesn't make sense to change something that everyone is used to and works just fine, just for the hell of it.

So far Ive accidently bumped the heated grip button once, they got hot, and it took a bit to realize whats going on and stop it. This sunday at a bike event someone may have been messing with my bikes buttons when they were looking at it causing the heated grips to come on after I pulled out. Again it took a minute or so to figure it out (didnt notice anything on the dash at the time). When I park my bike at events if I stay with in sight the people looking at it dont mess with buttons, etc. Annoying how some people will mess with another persons property when they arent around (cycles seem to be a common object for this to happen with).

In the past I was suprised how many people have been caught sitting on my old bike (most of them were women getting their pictures taken by friends while doing so), a few friends caught most of them in the process and told them to get off of it, then told me about it right away. Ive also found other buttons activated on both bikes, mirrors adjusted, etc on the old one.

All that heated grips and sitting on the bike put aside, most thing i f**kin hate is someone bumping into/adjusting my mirrors and me not finding out until i start riding and look into my mirrors only to find out its way off :S

I saw a guy once checking a Ducati Monster S2R1000 that i was riding (my friend's bike he keeps it in my garage and i might soon buy it from him) and when i went to the bike he was like "hey, is that a real Ducati or just a sticker on the tank?"

Archived