Where's A Good Location To Pick Up An 8Th Gen Vfr?

ggathagan

• Member Contributer

I'm entertaining the idea of flying to the mainland, buying a new VFR, riding it to California and shipping it home.

I did this when I bought my 5th gen from a gentleman in Tucson and really enjoyed the road trip.

Since I have family in Kansas City, KS, Princeton NJ, Cortland NY and Dayton OH, those would be my primary picks, but that wouldn't be exclusive.

So...
Who's your favorite Honda dealer?

In the Dayton, OH area there is only one Honda dealer left, and it is about 40 minutes north of the center of town. Good news is the airport is on the north side of town as well, so it is only a hop, skip, & jump away. Nice people, but I have never bought anything from them. Just looked around and I wasn't pestered by sales person.

• Member Contributer

Don't forget to plan a stop for break-in service at around 600 miles!!! It doesn't have to be the same dealer from which you are picking up the bike but plan it out regardless. Make the calls, appointment, whatever.

There is a dealer in Cortland called CNY Powersports. Maybe you can search around the interwebs for scuttlebutt. I can't vouch for them in any way.

A four hour drive down from Cortland, in Queens, is New York Honda in Long Island City NY. At the sales and service levels both, they have treated me quite well. Surpisingly well in fact.

I just bought mine from CNY in Cortland, NY. They don't have one in stock, but I could check with the sales guy about their allotment.

Here is mine last Saturday when I picked it up. :cool:

I have purchased 4 bikes from them and the overall experience has been very good.

smugshot_2853502-X2.jpgsmugshot_3211039-X2.jpg

• Member Contributer

FWIW my local dealer didn't have my red deluxe in stock either but it just took them five minutes to check with Honda and a few days to get one trucked up from Honda's Georgia warehouse, and they got it moving on a less than 2% deposit.

• Member Contributer

Once you decide, it's probably worth letting the dealer know before you go that you'll be registering the bike in HI and not in their state - they may require some documentation that you're a HI resident (like a utility bill or similar). I had to do that when I purchased from a Washington dealer as an out of state resident to avoid WA state sales tax. For whatever reason, a driver's license was not sufficient proof.

• Member Contributer

Just saw one at Del Amo Motorsports in Costa Mesa CA. It was priced way high, over 1500 over MSRP. FYI to avoid them.

• Member Contributer

For comparison, there's a dealer locally that has both the Standard and Deluxe models for $500 below MSRP. No mention though of setup, documentation fees, etc.

• Member Contributer

With only amateurish haggling I got over a grand off MSRP for a bike they had to transport, no setup, etc. and 20% off accessories. In NYC no less where I pretty much expect to be raped and made to pay extra for two drops of Astro Glide.

• Member Contributer

...and Portland OR is a hell of a lot closer to HI than Cortland NY!

This is :offtopic: - but I have one of your older style pumps. Still haven't used it but glad I have it with me on long trips!

• Member Contributer

I'm entertaining the idea of flying to the mainland, buying a new VFR, riding it to California and shipping it home.

I did this when I bought my 5th gen from a gentleman in Tucson and really enjoyed the road trip.

Since I have family in Kansas City, KS, Princeton NJ, Cortland NY and Dayton OH, those would be my primary picks, but that wouldn't be exclusive.

So...

Who's your favorite Honda dealer?

If you would like a nice discount off of the list price I can heartily recommend DFWHonda.com

I bought my 94 from the owner Mark Lamb and test rode a Red Deluxe last week. They also have a white one but it has no miles...the red one only has about 80 miles now.

Here in Simi Valley CA the price there asking thats on the tag is 14,2 something

Thats without haggling. ..red deluxe. Burbank airport is about 1/2 hour away.

One suggestion. .where ever you decide and fly in...UPS all your gear to the shop so all you have is maybe a backpack carry on. Good luck

• Member Contributer

Here in Simi Valley CA the price there asking thats on the tag is 14,2 something

Thats without haggling. ..red deluxe. Burbank airport is about 1/2 hour away.

One suggestion. .where ever you decide and fly in...UPS all your gear to the shop so all you have is maybe a backpack carry on. Good luck

Aw, gee, isn't that nice of them to price the bike at only $700 over MSRP. :laughing6-hehe:

Good idea about shipping the gear separately.

I did this when I bought my 5th gen from

If you would like a nice discount off of the list price I can heartily recommend DFWHonda.com

I bought my 94 from the owner Mark Lamb and test rode a Red Deluxe last week. They also have a white one but it has no miles...the red one only has about 80 miles now.

My experience with DFW Honda has been less than stellar when it comes to fair pricing, but Cycle Center of Denton gets my plug - great people to work with, good selection and fantastic prices.

• Member Contributer

Thanks to all for the responses.

Twice in the past, I've flown in, rented a motorcycle (ST1300 one year and FJR1300 the next), visited my family in NJ and NY, gone on to the Indy MotoGP with my brother-in-law, driven back to the rental location and flown home.
I really enjoyed that, so my inclination is to purchase on the east coast and make it another road trip.

Another sister and the aforementioned brother-in-law now live in Kansas City, KS, so this trip would be be a full-on cross-country excursion.

marriedman: I assume you're referring to the Troy dealership, correct?

I lived in Dayton from '75 until '86.
My parents live in Trotwood and my oldest sister lives in Dayton proper.
I fly back there every Christmas, so I'm very familar with the area.

I've never dealt with the Troy dealership.
I used to buy accessories on occasion from what is now Ride Motorcycles in Springfield, but never bought a motorcycle from them.

Rectaltronics and MotoPumps:
CNY actually sound the most promising from a logistics standpoint.

Good point on the 600 mile service, Rectaltronics.
That actually makes a Cortland purchase even more logical.

Yet another sister and her family live in Cortland and the drive from Cortland to Dayton, OH is 574 miles.

I'd buy the bike in Cortland, ride to Dayton, get the 600 mile service done and head west.

Motopumps: Portland makes for a really short road trip and leaves all of my family up-in-arms for flying that close and not visiting.

Given the logistics planning that all this would require, I would wait until the summer of next year. That also gives me a year to see if any issues come up with the new model.

Are they out there in the mid 13's

$13,499 for the deluxe model, MSRP. I paid that for probably the first one to come into my state, and I put a deposit on it weeks before it came in.

• Member Contributer

I just bought mine from CNY in Cortland, NY. They don't have one in stock, but I could check with the sales guy about their allotment.

smugshot_3211039-X2.jpg

So how did you manage to get the bags without the ugly reflectors screwed into them?

My red bags have these horrible warts on the rear bottom corner facing to the side.

:mad:

smugshot_3211039-X2.jpg

So how did you manage to get the bags without the ugly reflectors screwed into them?

My red bags have these horrible warts on the rear bottom corner facing to the side.

:mad:

Good question! Maybe these were early production or meant for a different market. I was bugging them about the bags since June when I convinced them to try to change their allocation from a standard red to a deluxe white.

I'd buy the bike in Cortland, ride to Dayton, get the 600 mile service done

600 miles of super slab is a rotten way to break in a new bike. Hope you can do this on back roads, hopefully with some changing elevations.

Archived