Looking At A Vfr This Weekend.

Hello all,

New guy here. Looking at a 2000 Honda VFR800 over the weekend.

I'm not new to riding, i've had a 1994 Suzuki Katana 750, 1985 GPz 550 and currently have a 2007 Kawasaki KLR650.

This VFR has around 20,000mi. Is there anything specific I should look for when I check this out?

-Thanks, Brian

Welcome!

Hmmm... 2000 with 20k on the clock... Check for white out on the odometer? :)

If you're not new to bikes, you'll already know basic things like checking tire and chain condition and even fork seals. Look to see what mods might have been done, especially electrical. Extra load on the system can cause issues with the stator, Reg/Rectifier, and other parts as well. Check to see that everything electrical is working properly and see how the clutch engages with a cold motor under some harder revs. Chattering means that the clutch needs some cleaning and the dogs in the basket might need to be smoothed out with a file.

Personally, I like to see powersports equipment as stock as possible. People that bolt on exhausts, change out the air filters, and do other things like that are often looking for the bike to do more than it was intended to. I am also NOT a fan of a K&N filter on these bikes. Yes, it increases air flow. It also allows a LOT more dust and fine particles to make their way into the motor. If you're racing the thing and need every molecule of air, run a K&N. Otherwise, stock is more appropriate for the street (IMHO).

I also like to see as few previous owners as possible. I bought my '00 from the original owner this spring with under 40k on it. Mine had low miles. The one you're looking at has seen little road time. Look it over well for signs of corrosion and such from non-use.

Welcome!

Hmmm... 2000 with 20k on the clock... Check for white out on the odometer? :)

If you're not new to bikes, you'll already know basic things like checking tire and chain condition and even fork seals. Look to see what mods might have been done, especially electrical. Extra load on the system can cause issues with the stator, Reg/Rectifier, and other parts as well. Check to see that everything electrical is working properly and see how the clutch engages with a cold motor under some harder revs. Chattering means that the clutch needs some cleaning and the dogs in the basket might need to be smoothed out with a file.

Personally, I like to see powersports equipment as stock as possible. People that bolt on exhausts, change out the air filters, and do other things like that are often looking for the bike to do more than it was intended to. I am also NOT a fan of a K&N filter on these bikes. Yes, it increases air flow. It also allows a LOT more dust and fine particles to make their way into the motor. If you're racing the thing and need every molecule of air, run a K&N. Otherwise, stock is more appropriate for the street (IMHO).

I also like to see as few previous owners as possible. I bought my '00 from the original owner this spring with under 40k on it. Mine had low miles. The one you're looking at has seen little road time. Look it over well for signs of corrosion and such from non-use.

I appreciate the advice. The guy says in his ad that it has a power commander, scotts adjustable steering damper, erion slip on exhaust and heated hand grips.

I will be sure to check out the clutch while cold and the rec/reg!

• Member Contributer

I always like to know some history on the bike, even if it's seen 3-4 owners, a maintenance record, even an oral one, is nice.

The mods are nice but the steering damper on the VFR is generally overkill, I wouldn't pay a dime more for it. PC 2 or 3 installed? PC3 is preferred, PC2 is good but needs a serial port laptop to load maps. Erion is a nice slip on if it's still in good shape and worth a few extra $.

If the seller is willing to take the rear tail cowl off I'd inspect the wiring to the r/r, left side of the bike. Look for any burnt or browned connections anywhere in the main wiring harness in this area. It isn't deal breaker, just may need some attention, as long as it's still charging.

Bounce the front end looking for some play, or that detent sticking point at center. The original steering head ball bearings wear out, OEM or aftermarket roller bearings are pretty cheap but take a little labor to replace.

And try to see if you can have it started up dead cold. The auto choke is a wax unit that adjusts the idle on cold start ups, not a big deal to replace but another negotiating point.

Original seat is a wood plank. Corbin or Sargent would be better.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond.

Be wary of any "tastefull" stickers other than OEM as they might will mask a scratch or so.....

Scratched/bend levels/pedals indicate a drop (which we all have had but then ask details and look more carefully for mis-aligned bodypanels)

tires have a DOT code on the sidewall, showing production week/year. anything over 4 years I would consider good for a looooooooooooooooooooooong burnout.

Bring a friend if possible because once you see her, you may see things a but rosey.... :goofy: VFRs are a thing of beauty

• Member Contributer

Can't see where your from. Under $3k depending on mods and condition. What is the price? I lean on face value of the bike. What you see is what you get . PO can be a good bellweather of the bikes care.Get a feel for his mindset. Look at his other vehicles. I bought a BMW from a guy who had a full garage that was like a motorcycle museum. The garage was literally used for sciance experiments prior to being used for his motorcycle shop. You could eat off the floor. The bike was a beauty.

Wow appreciate the warm welcome guys!

To answer a few questions, I am in Eastern PA, bike is in Maryland.

I will bring a motorcycle pal with me!

Bike is that bright yellow color.

Here is what his ad says.

Putting my bike up for sale as I have my eye on a friends bike that he may be parting with. I have a beautiful 2000 honda vfr-800 interceptor (fuel injected v4) with 21,000 miles for sale. Just had the seat reupholstered, oil changed, and chain cleaned/adjusted. If you've done any research on these bikes I'm sure you've found they're very well regarded machines for riding, and last seemingly forever. If you want a chopper or track bike keep looking. However if you want a reliable, comfortable, fast, all around bike this is it. Take a trip to the beach, or enjoy some back roads.
Overall the bike is in great shape. It has some scuffs on the side fairings do to a stoplight layover, but nothing broken, or even noticeable from 10ft. She runs beautifully, transmission shifts like butter, and will be maryland state inspected at time of sale. Doesn't use or leak any oil, anywhere. Newer Michelin rubber all around, along with new ebc brake pads front and rear. Brake fluid was changed at the time of pads. Aftermarket accessories include a power commander to increase engine performance, Scott's adjustable steering damper, erion slip on exhaust (sounds wicked!) heated grips, and a smoked bubble windscreen. (Single sided swingarm rear stand, stock windscreen, manual, and soft saddlebags will be included if my asking price is met). Other than that it's stock! Hasn't been stunted or raced-caring adult owned.

Bring a motorcycle bud with you...two sets of experienced eye's are better then one

thats about the most useful tip here.

what you might not spot, someone else might. personally, thats what i always do, dont need a red seal honda mechanic, but preferably someone who's knowledgeable.

and good luck :cheerleader:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4637611513.html

I have actually seen that ad while browsing SearchTempest.

Looks like it is missing the heat shield on the right side. Also looks like something is sticking out the right side rear cowl vent. The windscreen looks like one of those cheap chinese ones. While they work, they have a hideous profile IMO. A Zero Gravity one isn't too expensive and look much nicer.

All in all, it looks like a bike that has been used as it was designed. Not abused and not babied. Those are the bikes you can trust in my opinion.

Oh, forgot to mention. $3K tops.

Sorry - I did not mean to imply that I was looking at this bike in particular. I just like looking at bikes. I don't want you to think there is any competition for the bike. Don't rush over there thinking someone else is coming for it and allow that to color your judgement.

I just wanted to point out if I were looking at that bike, I wouldn't go over $3000 for it.

Sounds like a deal..bringing a experienced owner of bikes is what I did when I drove up to Tahoe to get my bike...my buddy noticed two different tires. ..and pointed out how old they where..never bought a used bike..always new...Good luck and post pictures when ya purchase your new girlfriend

Personally, that specifically linked-to bike isn't worth more than about $2600 to me. Passenger grab handles are missing (hard to find), I don't like some of the mods (steering damper - unnecessary), and I am not a fan of the non-stock windscreen on it. The road rash is a bit of a deal-killer for me. It's going to need a paint job to look right as you can't find those parts anywhere in yellow (and I do love the yellow color).

• Member Contributer

There's a little-known panel underneath the front cowl. When missing I take it as a sign as a much-bigger fall.

• Member Contributer

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4637611513.html

Looks like it is missing the heat shield on the right side. Also looks like something is sticking out the right side rear cowl vent. The windscreen looks like one of those cheap chinese ones. While they work, they have a hideous profile IMO. A Zero Gravity one isn't too expensive and look much nicer.

I bet I know why that heat shield is missing - they took it off when they installed the full Erion racing header! Notice no cat on the bike & shiny SS header?? That's a $$ rare piece of rocking horse poop right there, probably worth a good $600-$750 for the whole system. And if the seller doesn't know I wouldn't tip him or her off. Only thing, does PA do bike inspections, to include emissions equipment?

That does look like a cheap Chinese knock off windscreen, I'd knock $100 off the price just for that. :wink:

BTW, looks like it's missing the c-stand, knock a few $ off for that.

• Member Contributer

OEM fairing are available for 5th gens. As is touch-up paint. There is a side cowl for sale on VFRD now.

$3700 seems well priced considering the PC, exhaust, bags, and depending on how much rubber is left, the recent tires. I bought a 2000 last fall, tires were v old and cracked - $300 just to ride it.

Good luck and welcome to the asylum.

OEM fairing are available for 5th gens. As is touch-up paint. There is a side cowl for sale on VFRD now.

$3700 seems well priced considering the PC, exhaust, bags, and depending on how much rubber is left, the recent tires. I bought a 2000 last fall, tires were v old and cracked - $300 just to ride it.

Good luck and welcome to the asylum.

Max FYI I am halfway through the experimental tank touch up process. Thanks again for the paint. I still have no time to do anything but ride back and forth to work so who knows when I will have a finished product but I am trying!

Also OP I got a 98 red bike this spring with 3600 miles (36 hundred yes). New tires. Couple of scratches and I have already added to them. Spare carbon pipe I gave to an inmate. Great bike use it daily. 3000 bucks and it was in craigslist a little while.

Among other things, I'd be curious why it was necessary for the seat to be re-covered. If the damage was due to deterioration caused by extended exposure to the sun's heat and ultraviolet radiation, to me this would suggest similar cosmetic damage (faded paint, rusty surfaces/fasteners, etc) may be present if the bike was parked outside and exposed to the weather a lot over the years. Of course such issues may not negatively affect the motorcycle's functionality, but extended weather exposure can result in troublesome electrical issues caused by corroded connections.

In any case considering the age, mileage, cosmetics and upgrades the seller's asking price ($3.7k) sounds a bit high to me. Note that I paid ($4k) to the original owner for my '98 about 3 1/2 years ago. However at the time of purchase my vfr only had 6.2k miles, had clearly been stored out of the weather, was maintained regularly by the original Honda dealer and was cosmetically and mechanically in near-showroom condition. For what it's worth, 15k miles later although I realize I may have paid a premium for my 5th-gen (note: the seller was asking $5k) I have not regretted the purchase.

5th-gens truly are great motorcycles...! :beer:

Archived