Gen 7 Stress Crack!? Please, Not Again...

Marsman99

• Member Contributer

While changing my tires today, I noticed something in my right rear cowl that caught my eye and sent a cold chill down my spine...a dreaded stress crack! As a Gen 4 owner, and dealing with this for 20 years, this was a sobering moment.

Below are some pictures of the crack. It's looks like it may be due to a bit of pressure from the EGCA cable and rear brake reservoir hose, that both route through there. Still kicking around some ideas to stop it propagating. Any other Gen 7 owners notice something similar...or other cracks elsewhere?

post-29709-0-78343600-1407042377.jpg

post-29709-0-80547600-1407042406.jpg

post-29709-0-00738700-1407042437.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a bummer. The old standby to prevent cracks from propagating is to drill a hole at the end of it. Not visually appealing but it removes sharp angles and spreads the stress over a circular area which is stronger than the "V" the crack presently ends with. More visually acceptable would be a repair epoxy applied from the inside, possibly with some sort of mesh for strength.

• Member Contributer

That's a known problem with early 7th gens. If you are still under warranty, you should be able to have it replaced by the dealership free of charge.

Sorry to hear others have had the same problem.. Yeah, I figured I'd run it by the dealer and have them do a warranty replacement, but want to fix the source too.

That's a bummer. The old standby to prevent cracks from propagating is to drill a hole at the end of it. Not visually appealing but it removes sharp angles and spreads the stress over a circular area which is stronger than the "V" the crack presently ends with. More visually acceptable would be a repair epoxy applied from the inside, possibly with some sort of mesh for strength.

Yep, I've fixed plenty on my Gen4 over the years, just had hope I wouldn't need to on the new VFR though.

What tear is your vfr12? Take that panel off and post its part number, should be print end on the inside of it. Honda came up with replacement panel which is much thicker in that area. I really hope you still got old type of panel. It would really suck if new type is cracking too.

• Member Contributer

What tear is your vfr12? Take that panel off and post its part number, should be print end on the inside of it. Honda came up with replacement panel which is much thicker in that area. I really hope you still got old type of panel. It would really suck if new type is cracking too.

It has to be an old panel, my bike is a 2010 and I bought it "new" with zero miles in March of this year from a dealer. They didn't move it from the spot on their floor for four years. Very good to hear there is a factory fix for this though. I'll take it to my dealer this week.

Yeap. Honda designed this panel 3 times already. The latest design is actually like 1/4" in that area, very solid. Your '10 is probably out of warranty. If dealer is no go, $80 and 2 min will get you new stronger panel. Link above (by Ishark) has two part numbers listed, 1st update 77220-MGE-010ZA and 2nd. You don't want the 1st. You want 2nd edition 77220-MGE-020ZA Original was

just got back from Mavrix...service mgr is off today...owner took some pics and sent them to rep they're gonna call me

i have extended warranty...good thru 10/2016

• Member Contributer

Yeap. Honda designed this panel 3 times already. The latest design is actually like 1/4" in that area, very solid. Your '10 is probably out of warranty. If dealer is no go, $80 and 2 min will get you new stronger panel. Link above (by Ishark) has two part numbers listed, 1st update 77220-MGE-010ZA and 2nd. You don't want the 1st. You want 2nd edition 77220-MGE-020ZA Original was

Very good info zag123. My bike has 3 years of warranty, so I'm good.

• 3 weeks later...

well i brought it to the dealer today and they basically blew it off saying Honda won't cover any body pieces after 30 days...gave me the # of Honda customer service...i'm waiting until my attitude improves before i call them

not real fond of this service dept lately

service mgr has never given me a straight answer

i think they want the first hour's service rate before they will talk

I got mine taken care of with no questions asked... My Honda rep is well aware of this. I can get his info if you need it.

thnx, that info might help...although reps are regional, i can reference your case

• Member Contributer

not real fond of this service dept latelyservice mgr has never given me a straight answer

i think they want the first hour's service rate before they will talk

I got mine taken care of with no questions asked... My Honda rep is well aware of this. I can get his info if you need it.

thnx, that info might help...although reps are regional, i can reference your case

I'm taking mine in today. I don't expect them to jump on it either, so I'll likely need some precedents to cite as well. You're rep's info might help.

• Member Contributer

Sorry guy's my local dealer can't give me the Honda reps info but he did say it is all dependent on the region but he did say that Honda Customer service will more than likely help you guy's out. Let them know that this is an ongoing issue and refer them to the numerous failures.

Honda Customer service: 866-784-1870

If they need to talk to someone that has warrantied this, have them call Mach 1 Motorsports in Vallejo Ca. Or whoever is the Honda rep for that area.

• Member Contributer

Ok, good news. My local Honda Dealer called today and said Honda has graciously decided to replace the stress cracked fairing under warranty. They confirmed it wil be replaced with 77220-MGE-020ZA, which is the correct part number suggested by zaq123.

Of course, they added some BS about only doing it this one time because I have an aftermarket seat which could have caused the crack. This is pure horse-pucky, but hey, I'll take the warranty repair. If your 1200 has this issue, make it stock before going in to Honda to avoid them using aftermarket items as an excuse.

Archived