Portland To The Grand Canyon Via Lolo And Beartooth Pass

462623.jpg
Hwy 14 along the Columbia River

Day 1
Portland to Orofino, Id

Much needed road trip, plenty of work issues to forget about, family to visit in Wyo, and a little quality time to spend with my favorite motosickle.

Lightning and showers ahead
d15f5f.jpg

Western Washington = wheat
9fe5a4.jpg

104 degrees in Lewiston made me a little a little too anxious to blow some fresh air through my riding suit. Local sheriff reminded me that speed limit was 55 mph, not 75. Just a warning and sent me on my way.

Day 2
Orofino Id to Bozeman Mt

Sunrise at the Konkolville Motel. Friendly, clean, reasonably priced, and motorcycles welcome.
193c68.jpg

Early light on Hwy 12
092ae0.jpg

f2750c.jpg

Wisdom, Mt
dda542.jpg

Virginia City, Mt
dea230.jpg

I was making good time coming off Badger Pass into Dillon, Mt when the local sheriff there strobed me with his red and blues, no lectures but I waved and dialed back on the throttle. Hope my luck holds out for the rest of the trip, only 3000 miles to go.

Day 3

Bozeman Mt to Riverton Wy

Never-ending road construction outside Absarokee

6c723b.jpg

Rolling hills approaching Red Lodge

4514f7.jpg

Beartooth Pass

8545fd.jpg

8ec70c.jpg

ef6260.jpg

08a93b.jpg

Chief Joseph Pass

608eeb.jpg

Storm dodging outside of Cody

bdb687.jpg

Pffft! Doesn’t even merit digging out rain gear

3c5baa.jpg

Wind River Canyon

7eb16c.jpg

It's unfair!!!

You guys own all the great roads on this earth!!!!

Yeah but there's Nevada to consider :laugh:

Day 4

Riverton Wy to Price Ut

Leaving Lander Wy

e38b98.jpg

Oregon Trail near Farson

bf1d9b.jpg

8a5b60.jpg

Triple digit scratching in the big sweepers along Flaming gorge

e09964.jpg

Utah 191 north of Price

de8365.jpg

• Member Contributer

Awesome pics and trip, Beartooth Pass is on my list, I missed it on my first trip out west, but next time I won't!

Awesome pics and trip, Beartooth Pass is on my list, I missed it on my first trip out west, but next time I won't!

Thanks :beer: This trip was a great combination of scenery and twisties. Beartooth was cloudy but dry going up, started hitting wet roads and showers between Beartooth and Chief Joseph. Had to slow down a little but the fresh scents and cool temps were great!

Day 5

Price Ut to Panguitch Ut

Up at sunrise to beat the desert heat

24b82d.jpg

b155f9.jpg

Out of the desert and onto the open range near Loa

00fd65.jpg

Utah Hwy 12 side road

39e941.jpg

24987d.jpg

61a400.jpg

Hogback

c6ff40.jpg

25d040.jpg

Road to Kodachrome Park

034258.jpg

High Leana’

d98564.jpg

• Member Contributer

You have great taste in roads :) South pass, Ten Sleep, Flaming Gorge, Indian School Canyon (191), hwy72 to Loa, all very underrated.

Thanks for the compliments :fing02: Some of the roads were familiar, others were just happy discoveries. One of the things I love most about covering new country is when a line on the map turns into big smiley motorcycle perfection :wub2:

Day 6

Panguitch Ut to the North Rim Grand Canyon, Cedar BreaKs

How many things in life will consistently get you up before sunrise in anticipation of the day? Screw sleep, to hell with breakfast. You just want to get out there because there is nothing else on earth you’d rather be doing.

Sunrise outside Panguitch

Q7kFxe.jpg

En route to Kanab Ut

rwrptd.jpg

Kanab. Potential retirement area. I could live there.

XT5bre.jpg

North Rim of the Grand Canyon

e0SD6u.jpg

Horrible roads leading to lousy scenery

GdQD7R.jpg

JUF6Rl.jpg

eao0Vn.jpg

CxkoFr.jpg

s1qB4T.jpg

Cedar breaks

mBVPYd.jpg

• Member Contributer

Trips like this are life changers! Amazing how beautiful and diverse this country is, enjoy every second of it! Glad you are taking and sharing some many great photos! My first major trip was Grand Canyon(south)/Hover Dam/Yosemite/Lasen/Redwood Forest/Crater Lake/Yellow Stone. I can still trace every road on the map from memory.

Enjoy and be Safe! :wheel:

Trips like this are life changers! Amazing how beautiful and diverse this country is, enjoy every second of it! Glad you are taking and sharing some many great photos! My first major trip was Grand Canyon(south)/Hover Dam/Yosemite/Lasen/Redwood Forest/Crater Lake/Yellow Stone. I can still trace every road on the map from memory.

Enjoy and be Safe! :wheel:

Too true, I was repeatedly struck by the ever changing landscape and how much fun it is to roll through it on 2 wheels. Glad you are enjoying the photos, it's a good thing I travel alone cuz I'm sure my photo stops would drive other riders insane.

Great after great pix. You really have good days to ride.

Thanks again for the compliments, I was indeed fortunate to have such nice weather. Some parts of some days would get a little warm, but a change in elevation would then cool things down to good travellin' temps.

Hahah....

Looked like I have the saddle bags wrongly setup. I had never realized that, until now!

DSC04383.jpg

North Rim of the Grand Canyon

e0SD6u.jpg

I've seen them pointed both directions. Personally I like the deep section in the front, that way the heavy stuff like my tool kit is closer to the center of the bike.

Day 7

Panguitch Ut to twin Falls Id

Turning back towards the barn, drastic change in scenery from Beaver to Ely

Hwy 21 Surely the next valley will be more interesting

zuDOxd.jpg

See

rviQ7X.jpg

Z8lZMb.jpg

Side trip into Great Basin National Park, Wheeler Peak

frPbIs.jpg

p8NQt3.jpg

Motorcycles to the front, thanks Bro!

WlBmXv.jpg

Outrunning a storm heading into Wells, NV

1laWDT.jpg

Day 5

Price Ut to Panguitch Ut

High Leana’

d98564.jpg

If that's not a phallic symbol, I've never seen one. Nice pics, great ride1

Too true, I was repeatedly struck by the ever changing landscape and how much fun it is to roll through it on 2 wheels. Glad you are enjoying the photos, it's a good thing I travel alone cuz I'm sure my photo stops would drive other riders insane.

I know what you mean about riding alone.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/columns/122_1108_riding_solo_megaphone/

• Member Contributer

Great post. I just hit a few of these spots myself in June. We are lucky to have such roads and scenery. Traveling by yourself does have some benefits and finding a riding partner that is in sync with you can be a challenge as I found out on my last tour.

So give us an overview of how you plan a tour ie accommodations, day mileage and routes etc.

Thanks again.

VFROr: Amazing trip! I am inspired! Excellent work bud!!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Thanks, it was great to get the VFR out on the road and enjoy where we live :smile2:

Killer shots. Wish I was there. I'm a f'in cubicle reading this!

I'm back in the cubes but it's a lot more tolerable with a delightful road trip under my belt :tour:

Day 5

Price Ut to Panguitch Ut

High Leana’

d98564.jpg

If that's not a phallic symbol, I've never seen one. Nice pics, great ride1

Haha Kodachrome Park is awesome like that :laugh:

dElcnL.jpg

Great post. I just hit a few of these spots myself in June. We are lucky to have such roads and scenery. Traveling by yourself does have some benefits and finding a riding partner that is in sync with you can be a challenge as I found out on my last tour.

So give us an overview of how you plan a tour ie accommodations, day mileage and routes etc.

Thanks again.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading your RR also :fing02:

My ride planning process is pretty simple:

- camping or motels?

- pick a route to family location in central Wyo

- pick a scenic/twisty route to turnaround point. some roads are known, some guesswork

- figure on 400 to 700 mi days

- make a reservation in the next town the night before arriving

- hit the road, don't be afraid to lolligag and or stop for lots of pics

Archived